Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do you ever look at a cover and think....

...I've seen this some place before?

So how often have you come across this? It's pretty common in the indie world, but I don't think I've seen it too often with bigger publishers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hawkesharbor.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	107098   Click image for larger version

Name:	mothdiaries.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	107099  
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The same photo with almost the same cropping. withe almost the same title placement.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Smart Bitches Trashy Books periodically does a post on look-alike covers, mostly from the trads rather than the indys.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Haha. Busted. Although I'm pretty sure when it's stock photography almost anyone can use the image in any way (depending on rights usage.) Almost every ERP-type software company has the same images everywhere. It's quite difficult to know which company you are looking at some times.

So which one do people prefer? I'm leaning left based on font, title placement, and frankly, I prefer green over orange. Although the eye is too close to left and top for me and throws the composition off quite a bit.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try these:
http://www.loveandpublishing.com/blog/?p=231

Not identical but close enough to give somebody heartburn.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I never look at book covers. My Kindle doesn't show them (or rather, I have it set not to show them) and they don't interest me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
the only book covers I think about are the garish ones with a female in a steel bikini sporting a pair of double-Z's. And all I can think about is: HOW does she stay in her clothing?
Then I laugh and go read something else...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

caleb72's example: they are probably using stock photographs. If that is the case, there's a small chance of ending up with virtually identical covers.

fjtorres' example: the blogger is full of themselves. Neckties are a common symbol of the business world and hanging one like a noose is not exactly an innovative idea. And the audacity of accusing them of ripping off her cover when her title is a rip-off of another author's title.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
fjtorres' example: the blogger is full of themselves. Neckties are a common symbol of the business world and hanging one like a noose is not exactly an innovative idea. And the audacity of accusing them of ripping off her cover when her title is a rip-off of another author's title.
It's almost an identical layout. So yes, I do think that Crown Business did rip-off the cover design. Even if it's just a coincidence, now that the matter has been brought to Crown Business' attention, they should be changing the cover and if it's a pBook, pulling them from the shelves and replacing them with new covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's almost an identical layout. So yes, I do think that Crown Business did rip-off the cover design. Even if it's just a coincidence, now that the matter has been brought to Crown Business' attention, they should be changing the cover and if it's a pBook, pulling them from the shelves and replacing them with new covers.
I'm sorry, but it's doubtful that Crown Business' cover ripped off anything. The necktie as a noose is a common cultural reference. Do an images search and you will find it represented in multiple forms. One of those forms is virtually identical to the books' covers.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FCY...2-21636817.jpg
http://jimyaghi.com/wp-content/uploa...1/03/noose.jpg
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can a layout be protected by copyright?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
For many months now Private Eye has been running a "Book-alike" column on the same theme. When you use stock photography for covers, instead of commissioning artwork as was done in the past (way back in the past), it's bound to happen. Specially given the number of new titles coming from all directions.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
There's this image of a man and a woman in silhouette running in the mid-distance that's been used numerous times on the covers of a number of different paperbacks that I own.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I never look at book covers. My Kindle doesn't show them (or rather, I have it set not to show them) and they don't interest me.
Could you tell us please how to set a Kindle to show book covers?

You've set your Kindle to not show covers, but I'm old enough and obsessional enough to prefer to see the book cover when the ebook opens for the first time.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only reason I noticed for my example is that I happen to own the paperback for The Moth Diaries and I particularly liked the cover. It's a great book by the way.

I had looked up S E Hinton recently because some of her ebooks were released recently at reasonable prices. When I saw the cover of Hawkes Harbor I did a double-take.

As mentioned in the thread, if this is based on a stock photo, it's quite possible the second publisher just didn't know. I doubt there's any maliciousness going on - and this certainly happens quite a bit in the indie world.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote