Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
do have i this right? 6 inch screen?

the kindle only has a 6 inch diagonal screen? how could this be? even a mass market paperback has a diagonal of 8 inches. trade paperbacks have a diagonal of 9.5 inches. so is it possible that people can read on the kindle?

Last edited by exo; 12-28-2009 at 12:48 AM.
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
LOL!! Well, I hope so, or we've got a forum full of deluded people around here that are imagining they're reading on Kindles!!

It's not as bad as it sounds, and believe it or not, the five inch models of dedicated ebook reading devices are quite popular too.

For that matter, there are also quite a few people around here that like to read on their smartphones, and those screens are considerably smaller than six or even five inches.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
the kindle only has a 6 inch diagonal screen? how could this be? even a mass market paperback has a diagonal of 8 inches. trade paperbacks have a diagonal of 9.5 inches. so is it possible that people can read on the kindle?
I checked my Sony Reader (a PRS-505) and the screen measures 6 inches diagonally (3.5 inches wide by 4.75 inches high) and I find it very readable. One factor to consider is not just the screen size but also the text area size.

I took several handy standard paperback books (romance novels) and measured the text area (disregarding the header and footer). The text area for all of them worked out to (approximately) 3.25 inches by 5.5 inches, or about 6.25 inches diagonally.

A factor that enhances the readability of ebooks is that you can increase the size of the text. One thing I noticed is the size of the print in the books I checked and it is about 11 points. For me it is readable, but I'd prefer it to be a bit larger (I format my own ebooks with a base font size of 14 points). With printed books you are basically stuck with the text size that you get, but with ebooks increasing the font size is easy.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I repeat, 6 font sizes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i find reading on a 6" screen to be easy and comfortable.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Hi exo,

Yep, it's a 6 inch diagonal on the current midrange devices. There are some bigger ones available, and the future may yield some better designs with better screen-device size ratios, but 6" is what we have for now in general.

As another user said, although most paper books do have larger page dimensions, the effective size of the text block is usually quite a bit smaller. A normal mass market paperbook text block's diagonal measure is just a little over 6 inches. Since the device's bezel can act as a margin, I generally set my ebooks with only a 1mm margin, allowing me to use the screen pretty completely.

It's not perfect, and I do strongly hope for more 7-8" screens with more book-like aspect ratios, but 6 inches is plenty for reading paperbacks. For me, these devices are nothing but novel readers since the technology in them is so poor. In the future when ebook devices aspire to take on reading functions less limited than novels, 6 inches will not really be sufficient, nor will the current display quality or device speed.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
It's not as bad as it sounds, and believe it or not, the five inch models of dedicated ebook reading devices are quite popular too.
Yes, I didn't want a 6" screen as I find it too big... Might as well read an ordinary book... Maybe because I'm used to reading on my Palm with only a 3.25" screen... Still very easy to read on, and the pageturns are immediate.

My Hanvon with a 5" in screen is great, easy to read, easy to carry in the smallest of my bags.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have no problem reading on my 5" Jetbook screen.
Big enough to put a pile of words on the screen at any given point.

Small enough to slip into a pocket and take with me everywhere.

Weighs less than most paperbacks also. Trust me, until you've tried it you have no idea what your missing.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Agree.... my 5" PRS-300 seems huge to me after reading on PDA's and and iPhone for years...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
the kindle only has a 6 inch diagonal screen?
Yes, that's the standard screen size with eInk devices. I prefer my 8" screen though. There are some 10" devices as well, but IMO they're too big.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
There are some 10" devices as well, but IMO they're too big.
Certainly too big to carry around with you. Nice for reading at home, though. A 10" screen has roughly the same display area as a hardback book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly too big to carry around with you. Nice for reading at home, though. A 10" screen has roughly the same display area as a hardback book.
It's all about personal preference. My 8" device is almost exclusively used for reading at home though. Portability is certainly part of it for most people, but for me a 10" device is just too big, even for reading at home.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fair enough .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I bought a K2 Int when they launched and I'm certainly looking forward to the eventual launch of the DX. I have a Bag of Holding from Think Geek and a DX would certainly fit in there with no problems

6inches? No problem at all. I also read on my iPhone with no issues (Although that isn't for everyone) and I used to use the Mobipocket reader on an old Nokia smartphone with a much smaller screen.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new Sony Reader PRS-900 is a 7.1 inch screen. That's closer to the size of a standard paperback. And if you do away with the margins, you may be able to get more text on screen then a paperback page with it's margins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote