Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
JeffWeiss9
JeffWeiss9 began at the beginning.

Device: Pharos 535x
Question from Deserted AVANTGO User

Wandering in the desert after AVANTGO is disappearing, can anyone tell me how I can get news and other selected web pages downloaded to my PDA for offline reading (on trains and planes)??
I just tried mobipocket and RSS but got nowhere with it and couldn't find any kind of instructions / user manual for how to do it.
AVANTGO was so easy but I guess there weren't many of us left. Don't know what I'm going to do without my NYTimes on the morning train commute.
Thanks very much (if I'm in the right place). (Oh, yes, I also do read an occasional e-book).
Jeff
JeffWeiss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are a few.

Mobipocket reader
Feedbooks
Calibre

Of the three I liked mobipocket the best simply because it was the most automated, meaning the feeds update and sync to your device automatically. It is also the easiest to add custom rss sites and blog. No I agree its not the easiest program to use but once you understand it, it's easy to use.
It did take me two trys to understand it.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I use NewsGator on my pocket pc and wrote a detailed tutorial about it on my blog. Perhaps you'll find it interesting:

Staying Informed with NewsGator Go!

If I recall correctly, Avantgo allowed you to subscribe to a combination of "custom" channels and RSS feeds. You will only be able to set up the RSS feeds in whatever RSS reader you use.

To set up Mobipocket to subscribe to RSS feeds, you'll first need to locate the feed you wish to subscribe to by going to the website and finding the RSS feed button (orange button). Copy the RSS feed address.

Then open up Mobipocket on your computer, select the orange eNews icon in the left hand column, then select the orange Add eNews icon that you see on the top of the screen and select "Add a Feed."

Paste RSS feed address into the space provided, then select the Next button. You'll see a description of the feed you just added, select the Finish button.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
JeffWeiss9

still perplexed

Thanks for the response. I'm right now trying to get RSS feeds to work with mobipocket but I'm not even close. I can see them appear ActiveSync'ing over to my PDA (Pharos 535x) and on a page there, but when I click on any of those pages, I get a "link expired" message. Furthermore, for this to be useful to me I'd have to be able to sync it directly over wireless without ActiveSync'ing to my desktop. (The whole purpose is to download stuff on travel for offline reading when there is no web access). Can mobipocket or any of the other suggestions actually do this? I can't believe other people don't also have a need for that (that=AVANTGO automatic updating over wireless or activesync to the device for offline reading).
If you can point me to any user guide or helpful instructions, I'd be very greatful. My searches have come up with nothing and mobipocket doesn't even have a help file.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
JeffWeiss9

NewsGator

Thanks ProfJulie-
Your NewsGator article looks like a pretty complete set of instructions so I'll try to set that up from my PDA when I arrive at my destination (2 hrs from my flight).
On the mobipocket display on my PDA, I don't see any enews button; only on my desktop. I do see a library with my feeds but when I click on any of them, I only get to one opening page.
Jeff
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Okay try ViiGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWeiss9 View Post
..... Furthermore, for this to be useful to me I'd have to be able to sync it directly over wireless without ActiveSync'ing to my desktop. (The whole purpose is to download stuff on travel for offline reading when there is no web access). .....
Ohhhh well that's a different story. If you wan't to download from your phone I'd suggest ViiGo. It's an RSS reader you can read real time or read offline with this product.

I use it for my blackberry storm but they have an iPhone and windows Mobile solution as well.

Here is their download page (link)
Here is a MS Windows promo page (link)

Here is a quote from their web site

Quote:
MY BLACKBERRY IS A PIMP
(2009-03-14) "The only time I experience separation anxiety is when I’m disconnected from my RSS feeds. But now, thanks to Viigo, this is only a concern when I’m taking a shower or submerged under some other body of water where electronics have no home. Viigo is an amazing offline RSS reader developed for Blackberry. That’s right… it’s offline. So whether you’re on the subway, in the air, or in a cave, you’ve got reading material. You can decide how many articles you want to store and how often you want to download each feed’s updates, and if you have an unlimited data plan like me…. you can download ’til your head spins." ...

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-09-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Newsgator Go! allows you to update feeds directly on the mobile device. I like it too because you can also use it for podcasts. There's no way to update Mobipocket feeds on the mobile device - Mobipocket feeds are updated on the computer and then synced over to the mobile device - this is one of the reasons I don't use it since I really try to keep my syncing time to a minimum and don't want to be chained to a computer.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
JeffWeiss9

viigo

Thanks, I'll look into that, although at first glance I only see support for smart phones, not PDA (maybe its time I upgrade).
Jeff (off for a while)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
It has been quite a while since I used it, but iSilo and iSiloX used to make a great combination for automated downloading and offline reading. They are still being updated. I think it took a bit of work to get iSiloX to download exactly what I wanted, but once it did updating was a breeze.

Good luck with it!
The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote