Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 AM   #1
tetristres
tetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony Reader
Dangerous "Delete" Key

I was reviewing the tags in one of my libraries and deleting those that I was not using or were not relevant.

I was one by one deleting them in the tree of Authors, Languages, etc...

At some point, instead of deleting the tag with the mouse right-click pop-up menu on the tag name in the left navigation panel, without thinking, I pressed the "Delete" key (not the backspace), expecting that this action would also delete the tag selected at this moment.

Instead of that, it deletes the first book of the list of books shown in the book list of the central panel. And without any warning or confirmation! Only an inconspicuous floating message appears for a few seconds (which I didn't notice).

I just noticed that the tag was still there and instead of that I had deleted a book.

Fortunately I could recover the book deleted, but I think a warning an confirmation request should be raised in this scenario.
tetristres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:00 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
There is a confirmation. You either turned it off by accident or clicked past it.

Go to Preferences > Behaviour > Reset all disabled confirmation dialogs.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2023, 09:15 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also change or turn off the keyboard shotcut in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
tetristres
tetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony Reader
Yeah, probably I disabled this confirmation at some point I was doing a clean up.

Thank you!
tetristres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetristres View Post
Yeah, probably I disabled this confirmation at some point I was doing a clean up.

Thank you!
One the first adjustments I made to calibre was to change the Remove book shortcut from Del to Shift+Numpad-Del, even then I didn't dismiss the confirmation.

If you're using the Tag browser intensively, such as you were, you can give it keyboard focus via a keyboard shortcut. I have it set to Ctrl+Shift+T. It's a toggle so use it again to return keyboard focus to the book list.

The ↓ and ↑ keys traverse the list, the → and ← expand and collapse nodes, the Typewriter Return key cycles through the search options.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2023, 10:09 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
An answer to the "dangerous" delete key is to make the preference disabling the confirmation dialog ephemeral so it will not survive closing and re-opening calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is both a confirmation and a popup undo message and a recycle bin from where you can undo any deletes. I dont think it can or should be made safer than that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:49 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

@kovidgoyal - on the topic, is it feasible to have something other than a blanket 'reset every warning' toggle?
Old 05-02-2023, 11:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
@kovidgoyal - on the topic, is it feasible to have something other than a blanket 'reset every warning' toggle?
Feasible sure but not something I am going to spend time on. You can simply edit the JSON config file to turn on/off individual ones.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:34 AM   #10
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I didn't think I'd use or like the in-program recycle bin, but I love it. Great idea. Thank you.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:07 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Most welcome!
Old 05-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #12
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I didn't think I'd use or like the in-program recycle bin, but I love it. Great idea. Thank you.
Where is it on the screen. I know it is not the regular one on my pc.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:07 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

In the Remove books menu of versions 6.16+
Old 05-04-2023, 08:11 AM   #14
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
In the Remove books menu of versions 6.16+
I'm on 6.17. Remove menu is not under preferences>toolbars and menus unless it has a different name there. Sorry, I'm not finding it, can you give me another clue? Thanks.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:34 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm on 6.17. Remove menu is not under preferences>toolbars and menus unless it has a different name there. Sorry, I'm not finding it, can you give me another clue? Thanks.
See the screen captures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	201387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	201388  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote