Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
MoReader92019
MoReader92019 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook BNRV500
Unhappy Problems with Sigil Files on Nook BNRV500

When I modify or create epub ebooks on Sigil and try to read them on my Nook, the Library listing will not display my book cover. It displays a generic book cover with only the title. This is also true for the Recent Read books. On top of that, Sigil modified or created files boot up very slow even when short works.

In the past my distributor converted my doc files to epub for me. They work fine, but if I modify them, the problems mentioned above occur. My Sigil modified files are validated by the online epub validation site. I do not know why these problems occur. There must be something in code hidden from me in the Sigil file that my Nook has trouble with. Can anyone help out here?
MoReader92019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
MoReader92019

Some added info to original post. I use Sigil 0.7.4. The pre-modified files show the cover image on the Library and Recent Read lists. If I modify them without changing any of the relevant image files, the Sigil save will not show the cover image in those above mentioned places. And the files run slower even in barely modified files. OpenOffice and Word files do not have reveal code, and it is nice to correct things in Sigil but things do not work out well.
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoReader92019 View Post
Some added info to original post. I use Sigil 0.7.4. The pre-modified files show the cover image on the Library and Recent Read lists. If I modify them without changing any of the relevant image files, the Sigil save will not show the cover image in those above mentioned places. And the files run slower even in barely modified files. OpenOffice and Word files do not have reveal code, and it is nice to correct things in Sigil but things do not work out well.
You might want to upgrade Sigil to a more recent version (0.7.4 dates back to 2013 while 0.9.18 is the current version). If you are using Book View to edit a book, that is Not A Good Idea -- BV can make some very strange changes to your code. This is the main reason that Sigil no longer includes Book View though a replacement PageEdit is now available as a separate install which can be called from within Sigil.

My preferred method is using CodeView to edit with a Preview pane open on a second monitor to allow seeing the effect of your changes.

Since I have never seen any Sigil edited book run slower on any ereader, would it be possible for you to PM me a copy of one of those books so I can take a look at it and see if I can find why you are seeing this slowness.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
MoReader92019

Smile

Thanks for responding. The attached epub file trumps-tariff.epub is a file that will not show the cover image on the Nook Library or Recent Read. It boots slow on my Nook, my only reader. I believe I modified this from a Smashwords meatgrinder file but am not sure. I generally upload the Smashwords standard Styles Sheet, even if starting from scratch. The inline ones from an html file seem to be a problem. I have lots of problems converting html files with epub validation. Let me know if your reader has the same problems. Otherwise, the files work fairly OK on my computer Adobe Digital Edition, but the cover image hangs up for a bit, the line on the bottom hangs up, freezes, when I try to go to the cover image, when using a Sigil saved file. The cover image does always show up in my readers.

I generally code in CV, and if I do not, always check CV after using BV. I did not know that 0.7.4 was not the most recent Sigil. Last I checked, it seemed to be. Is there a paid version? Anyway, I'll check for a later version. Later
Attached Files
File Type: epub trumps-tariff.epub (2.13 MB, 304 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
MoReader92019

Note to DNSB (David). I used a new reply on your entry. The moderator is holding it up. I am new to the site. The file has an attached file. Maybe that is standard. I downloaded and installed Sigil 0.9.8. I opened and saved my attached file in 0.9.8. It did not change anything. I hope you can see what I did wrong and that you have. I hope this quick reply will go immediately to the thread. Thanks again.
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you the copyright holder listed on the title-page of that moderated attachment? If not, you won't be able to post it here. No copyrighted ebook attachments without explicit permission from the rights-holder.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did not know that 0.7.4 was not the most recent Sigil. Last I checked, it seemed to be. Is there a paid version? Anyway, I'll check for a later version. Later
Sigil is hosted on Github. The latest release can always be found at https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/latest.

There is no paid version of Sigil.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
MoReader92019

Yes, DiapDealer, I hold the copyright to the work attached.

MoReader92019
Old 09-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
An old NOOK wrangler here. I learned by experience that the NOOK will only create a thumbnail for a book if the cover image in the epub file is actually named "cover." (cover.jpg or cover.jpeg both work)

So just pop the book open in Sigil, change the name of the cover image, and re-copy it onto your NOOK.
Calenorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, DiapDealer, I hold the copyright to the work attached.

MoReader92019
Thanks! I'll approve the post.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
MoReader92019

Thanks for the tip Calenorn. I did rename my image to cover.jgp in Images and that is referenced in my titlepage. I always do that in Images to work with what is already in titlepage when I use a previous epub work of mine. I use previous works as templates. That can be a problem when you forget to change things, but my attached file waiting for approval has that already. It may be something hidden or left unchanged. Maybe I am not changing the unique identifier to something that is actually unique? Some conflict? But when you save under another name, Sigil does that anyway, I believe where it is required.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
MoReader92019

OH, that is cover.jpg not cover.jgp. A bit of message dyslexia. That is not the problem in the file.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Calenorn. I did rename my image to cover.jgp in Images and that is referenced in my titlepage. I always do that in Images to work with what is already in titlepage when I use a previous epub work of mine. I use previous works as templates. That can be a problem when you forget to change things, but my attached file waiting for approval has that already. It may be something hidden or left unchanged. Maybe I am not changing the unique identifier to something that is actually unique? Some conflict? But when you save under another name, Sigil does that anyway, I believe where it is required.
Hi Mo. I seem to remember the NOOK being stubborn about keeping the old thumbnail images. Can be frustrating. I think if only minor changes are made to the book, and the file size has not changed, that the NOOK will not generate a new thumbnail.

I also seem to remember that the file folder holding the thumbnail images is accessible. Maybe you can copy and paste the image you want into that folder using the name of the file that the NOOK has created.

(By the way, if you read books and then delete them, please note that those thumbnail images are NOT deleted from the NOOK. Over time they can take up a fair amount of memory. But it's simple to delete the old ones from that folder.)

At any rate, I'm pretty sure it's a NOOK quirk, and not something Sigil is doing.
Calenorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
MoReader92019

Calenorn (DNSB) Nook Troubles Update

Hi Calenorn

I checked my thumbnails. The images I want were not there. I pasted them in and changed the file names to conform to the book names listed in Books under My File in my Nook. It did not work. The Generic book covers remain, and the files still boot slow. Are they booting slow because Nook is looking for a thumbnail where the connection is cut, even though I pasted them in? I may have to reset Nook? I do not have Wi-fi and resetting can be a problem with Nook as I remember without it. Have to go to the store. I might try deleting all books from Nook, cleaning out thumbnails, and reloading from my computer to see if that does anything. That is easier for me than resetting. I also dropped my Nook several times and use tape to keep it together, but the other books work fine that were Smashwords and download books from the past, so that is not likely the problem. But those books were loaded before I had to tape the thing together. Also recent Smashwords generated books do work with thumbnails good, and so I'm back to what I screwed up most likely. I just downloaded 0.9.8 and resaved and that did not work, so my old Sigil is probably not corrupted.

You may be right about confusion. I do not remember at this time, what old books I used for overwriting to create my new books. I have left stuff from old books in my files and in metadata that does not always show until you look for it with the Metadata function in Sigil. I just made another quick look at two books with the generic covers. I looks like I removed the old stuff but will keep checking to be sure. I did not check with the Metadata checker. Hope DNSB finds something in the file when he gets around to inspecting it
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
MoReader92019

To: Calenorn, DNSB:

I deleted all relevant files in Nook including annotated files, put my epub list back in and let Nook handle the rest. Something came up that I have seen before. I checked a file that was a problem. It booted up to Trump's Tariff. This was the file I used as a template for Trump's Tariff, though that was also defective. I thought maybe I could fix the problem, recalling back a few months. It still had the generic cover (pre Trump's Tariff) with its title, but booted up to Trump's Tariff from the library selection, so there is some confusion. I cannot find anything in the OPF of either that would account for this. The Metadata Editor shows nothing out of whack in both files. (I have used other files and html generation files, and still end up with no thumbnails and slow boots.) The .ncx NavPoints look different in Trump's Tariff from the template book used, but why would that interfere with Thumbnails and mix up the epub files? There is probably something embedded in the object code, that Sigil is copying over, because it thinks it is part of the file. Nook is reading this, getting mixed messages from other parts of the file, booting slow by confusion, finally making a decision and I am still screwed. Just like doc files in Word and OpenOffice, you cannot see these things. By the way, this sometimes has happened to me in html too. The object code has something screwing things up that is not showing in the source code but pops up in the read. I can start from scratch with an html file, maybe try to just duplicate the Smashwords Stylesheet by hand (no copy/paste), do everything by hand (no copy/paste) and see if it works. I do not have enough expertise in epub to really be sure of what I am doing without templates, and have been sort of ripping off Smashwords in formatting. But the files go back to Smashwords.

I want to get away from formatting headaches with doc files, and have fallen into the fire of formatting problems with epub. Any short cut recommendations would be appreciated to avoid rewrites. On the other hand, maybe other types of book readers are not having this problem that download my books?

Tags
cover images, nook, slow boot