Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Question Nook HD+ Heat Question

I just got a new HD+ (32GB) and I've noticed that it gets very warm on the lower left side when I'm using it. I've read in the B&N forums that this is not an uncommon occurrence, but I was wondering if it has happened to any of you? I don't notice it happening with my HD, and wanted to check if you folks are also experiencing this or if I should get this device replaced?

Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have not noticed this with mine.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Mine only gets warm while charging. What were you doing at the time? Some games are likely to get it warm as they push the CPU, but casual use (websites, news and such) should not.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just checking this forum and it's getting warm.

ETA:I just installed a cpu monitor program and it shows the temperature as 34.3C.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My 16G doesn't get noticeably warm, even after hours of reading.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I guess that I'm going to have to reformat and return it. The whole point of getting it was because I was tired of the heat of my laptop while surfing the web.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I have had my hd+ since Mother's Day and it does not get hot. I only use it for online forums ,
email, and of course reading ebooks.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Went to a local Walmart and exchanged it. They had only one 32GB HD+ left, so that was lucky. Hopefully it'll be okay. Keep your fingers crossed, please.

Interesting fact: The manager who authorized the exchange told me that since I had used Walmart's Ship-to-Store function for the first purchase (ordering it online), that I couldn't do a straight exchange in the store if the store price was higher. I would either have to pay the difference or else do the exchange via the online site to keep the price the same. Since today was the last day of the Nook sale, the store and online prices were the same so it was no problem. But I thought that I'd pass that info on.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I've only really noticed heat while charging. Hopefully your new unit works better!
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
I too notice that HD+ gets warm in the lower left corner while running stock ROM, but interestingly the problem goes away when I run CM10.1 (off SD).
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

So far, the new one gets warm on the lower left side but nowhere near as hot as the first one was getting, and cools down much more quickly. I'm using CPU-Z for the sensor readings.

Just as well I got rid of that first one; that was probably a battery fire waiting to happen. I told Customer Service at Walmart that it was defective; hopefully it gets returned and fixed before they re-sell it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Tempvs
Enthusiast
Tempvs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I too notice that HD+ gets warm in the lower left corner while running stock ROM, but interestingly the problem goes away when I run CM10.1 (off SD).
My Nook too, and when I removed my run of the mill SANDISK HD 16 gb card the problem resolved.
Tempvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

The new Nook HD+ runs cooler than the first one, so it looks like I made the right decision to exchange it. I put the N2A card in it and I noticed that CM 10 usually runs cooler than the Nook side. The only time it really gets warm-to-hot is when when I'm using a CPU-intensive program like a photo editing one. The cores run at 1500 each then.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
... I noticed that CM 10 usually runs cooler than the Nook side...
Same here. One more reason to ditch the stock ROM and run CM10 instead.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Same here. One more reason to ditch the stock ROM and run CM10 instead.
Is that a typo? CM10.1 has been available for a while, no point in using CM10.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote