Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #511
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
What font did you use on the K4? That's not the standard one that comes with the Kindle, right?
Yes it is a standard font. It's the Condensed version of Caecilia and it comes on the K3 and K4.
I have not seen it available anywhere for sale unlike the other parts of the Caecilia family.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #512
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks, I didn't realize it was a standard font. I like that better than the (non-condensed) Caecilia
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #513
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize it was a standard font. I like that better than the (non-condensed) Caecilia
Me too it's the only one I use. You get more words per page and it looks great with Small setting of line spacing. I use the 4 largest A on the font size to read with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #514
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Almost bought a K3 today... but they only had 3g models in stock and wasn't going to pay an extra $50 just for that. Now, do i go ahead and get a K3 tomorrow or resist and get a K4. The advantage to a K3 is I can buy it in Australia and if something is wrong with it just take it back to the store. But they don't have the K4's here yet...
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #515
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just thought, if I were to buy a Kindle 3 instead of a Kindle 4 NT would it have the same firmware and would Amazon keep updating firmware for the K3?
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #516
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. The Kindle 4 has firmware v4; the Kindle 3 has firmware v3.

Once a new generation is released, the older generation gets put on a "care and maintenance" footing; you get bug fixes, but rarely if ever do you get new features.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #517
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Once a new generation is released, the older generation gets put on a "care and maintenance" footing; you get bug fixes, but rarely if ever do you get new features.
Damn! Ah well, guess I'll get the K4 NT then. I'll just have to restrain myself tomorrow when I'm out.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #518
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Damn! Ah well, guess I'll get the K4 NT then. I'll just have to restrain myself tomorrow when I'm out.
I'd suggest that you buy any device on what it does NOW, not what it may or may not do in the future. What is it that's specific to the v4 firmware that you want?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #519
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
I'd suggest that you buy any device on what it does NOW, not what it may or may not do in the future. What is it that's specific to the v4 firmware that you want?
Right now I have no idea. I don't know that the firmware between the K3 and K4 are even all that different currently. I just thought that if a firmware were brought out later that supported a different format or prolonged battery life, etc I should get a device that would be able to take advantage of that firmware.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #520
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Right now I have no idea. I don't know that the firmware between the K3 and K4 are even all that different currently. I just thought that if a firmware were brought out later that supported a different format or prolonged battery life, etc I should get a device that would be able to take advantage of that firmware.
From what I can tell the K3 and K4 are essentially the same firmware with a few minor changes, most of which are to accommodate the new keyboardless interface. That is, the K4 without a keyboard had to have a few Menu changes so it would be able to do what the K3 does with a keyboard.

The K4 has some updated hardware, mostly good. It has a faster processor for one thing. But it also has a smaller battery than the K3, a downsizing if you will. So plus and minuses in the hardware comparisons.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #521
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

That's quite a shame. Why don't the K3 folks get X-Ray and the new dictionary display? Seems like the hard ware can support it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #522
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's quite a shame. Why don't the K3 folks get X-Ray and the new dictionary display? Seems like the hard ware can support it.

BOb
The K4 NT doesn't get X-Ray either. Only the Touch models get it.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #523
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The K4 NT doesn't get X-Ray either. Only the Touch models get it.
Thanks, didn't know that. Glad I didn't switch my touch to a NT. Although, I'm not sure how often I will use X-Ray.

BOb
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #524
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Will the K3 get access to Personal Documents?

BOb
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #525
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Will the K3 get access to Personal Documents?

BOb
Yes - this is a feature of firmware 3.3, which is slowly being rolled out.