Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #481
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just noticed something not sure this a K4 thing but went to archive items and there is an option. "add other device collections"
Hmmm... that option was on my Kindle 3G after I sold my wifi. Is not an option you get when you're changing or buying a new device? I can be wrong, but I don't think is new.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #482
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmmm... that option was on my Kindle 3G after I sold my wifi. Is not an option you get when you're changing or buying a new device? I can be wrong, but I don't think is new.
Okay it's not something I ever seen on my K3 so maybe it's one of those transfer options. This is my second Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #483
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The conclusion that I would personally draw from this discussion is, I think, that ALL these news have very good screens, and that differences in individual perception as to which is nicer are just that - individual differences.
Yep. My brother in law has the Nook touch which is also using the same Pearl e-ink screen, but comparing the Kindle to his Nook showed that my screen was a tad sharper. So it really comes down to differences in screens from batch to batch when they produce them.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #484
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
I think I'm going back to Kindle 3 - the Kindle 4 is beautiful, but it's too small for my personal comfort. I may wait to see how it feels with a case, but I'm strongly leaning toward returning it.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #485
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay it's not something I ever seen on my K3 so maybe it's one of those transfer options. This is my second Kindle.
Yep!

I saw that when I bought my 2nd Kindle. Is actually a nice option. I think ProfCrash has a thread about it, when she bought her new one.

You must move all your books 1st before creating or migrating the collections though, or won't work. Please keep that in mind!
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #486
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelysarcasm View Post
I think I'm going back to Kindle 3 - the Kindle 4 is beautiful, but it's too small for my personal comfort. I may wait to see how it feels with a case, but I'm strongly leaning toward returning it.
Interesting!

Can you elaborate more? Is the bezel too narrow? ...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #487
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It perfect for Kids and women with little hands like me. I can hold my K4 with both hands and they touch each other. So someone with big hands like my husband would probably need a case or use the K3 instead.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #488
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yep!

I saw that when I bought my 2nd Kindle. Is actually a nice option. I think ProfCrash has a thread about it, when she bought her new one.

You must move all your books 1st before creating or migrating the collections though, or won't work. Please keep that in mind!
Well I did it all manually already last night So no need to try it.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #489
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Interesting!

Can you elaborate more? Is the bezel too narrow? ...
The bezel is fine. I think I miss the length of the K3, it made for a perfect reading/holding position for me. The K4 just doesn't feel as "booky" in my hands as the K3 did, which I really liked. It's a personal preference, but for me it feels too small so I don't have a comfortable hold on it.

Quote:
It perfect for Kids and women with little hands like me. I can hold my K4 with both hands and they touch each other. So someone with big hands like my husband would probably need a case or use the K3 instead.
I'm a woman, and I don't have big hands, so that doesn't apply across the board. I think it's something people will have to decide for themselves, just throwing my $.02 out there in case anyone was on the fence and may be like me.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #490
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The bezel is fine. I think I miss the length of the K3, it made for a perfect reading/holding position for me. The K4 just doesn't feel as "booky" in my hands as the K3 did, which I really liked. It's a personal preference, but for me it feels too small so I don't have a comfortable hold on it.

I'm a woman, and I don't have big hands, so that doesn't apply across the board. I think it's something people will have to decide for themselves, just throwing my $.02 out there in case anyone was on the fence and may be like me.
I mean women with little hands it's perfect for. I have hands the size of a 10 year old kid well they are little fatter but you get the idea. I can literally hug the K4 with both hands. Kind of like the way you hold an old game controller works well for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #491
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I got your point.

In my opinion (and now talking as an Engineer, not a user, lol) the keyboard adds some extra space and weight that helps when holding the Kindle, especially with one hand. After Amazon removed that, I think the new Kindle is more square with the center of gravity more to the center.

Of course, I don't have one with me, but I would say will feel different when holding, specially with one hand.

However, the Nook Touch is similar in size and found it very, very comfortable on my hands. The main differences, in my opinion, are the buttons (hardware) and missing landscape mode (software).

Last edited by jocampo; 10-05-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #492
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I just noticed something not sure this a K4 thing but went to archive items and there is an option. "add other device collections" When I choose it showed my other Kindle and K4PC as options. I could add the collections from my K3 to it. This would of been nice last night if I had bee awake enough instead of having to manually remake my collections.

I wonder if 3.3 upgrade for the K3 will add this option as well.
Great find! And yes it is an option on my K3 too!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #493
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess

Quote:
I got your point.

In my opinion (and now talking as an Engineer, not a user, lol) the keyboard adds some extra space and weight that helps when holding the Kindle, especially with one hand. After Amazon removed that, I think the new Kindle is more square with the center of gravity more to the center.

Of course, I don't have one with me, but I would say will feel different when holding, specially with one hand.

However, the Nook Touch is similar in size and found it very, very comfortable on my hands. The main differences, in my opinion, are the buttons (hardware) and missing landscape mode (software).
Right - and like I said, I'm sure most people will be fine with the smaller size, and probably totally love it. I thought I would too, but after having it for almost a week, I'm swapping back.

On the plus size, I'll get my Batwoman screensavers back.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #494
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Actually if the books are not loaded yet it does create empty collections. so even if you don't load the books but have a bunch of collections it will save you a lot of entry time, especially on the K4 NT.

BTW, it even listed my old DXG that I sold 1.5 years ago as a Kindle from which you could transfer collections. Ditto for a K3 I gave my sister after I had used it for a while. So I guess it keeps a record of Kindles you have sold and de-registered.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #495
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Actually if the books are not loaded yet it does create empty collections. so even if you don't load the books but have a bunch of collections it will save you a lot of entry time, especially on the K4 NT.

BTW, it even listed my old DXG that I sold 1.5 years ago as a Kindle from which you could transfer collections. Ditto for a K3 I gave my sister after I had used it for a while. So I guess it keeps a record of Kindles you have sold and de-registered.
I'm going to need it I decided to get this K4 replaced it has stripes where the black menu line was under each option. I wouldn't call it ghosting but you definitely can see the screen could have issues.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-07-2011 at 12:29 AM.