Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #421
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa.F View Post
Thank you for the reply, HarryT, Zeebra.

I updated the firmware on K4 but the result was the same.
It was very difficult but I tried to take pictures of both K3 and K4 with exactly the same settings.

The third picture is a bit too exaggerated, to be honest.
But you can see the difference between the two.

I want to know if anyone has the same problem.
Because I am really thinking about contacting Amazon about this...
I'm not sure which is better either, but since it's a concern for you then contact Amazon. I pulled out my new kindle and compared side by side with the kindle keyboard and there's no discernible difference to me.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #422
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
@dominicvn, Amazon made it difficult on us with this "Kindle" only name. I wish they had called the Kindle discussed in this thread by a unique name. We here have been calling it the Kindle non-touch or K4 NT for short or even the K4 since it is the only one of the fourth generation Kindles already released.
We should come up with a nomenclature. How about

K3 .. Keyboard, what we've always called it.
K4 .. Non touch
KT .. K4 touch
KF or Fire .. Fire

Append SO and 3G as needed
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #423
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

It was very difficult but I tried to take pictures of both K3 and K4 with exactly the same settings.

The third picture is a bit too exaggerated, to be honest.

Someone posted a pic of the K4 besides the T1 and it was considerably lighter so I don't know a bad batch maybe? Only some are getting this? Mine is at my local Post Office I just have to wait for them to deliver it tomorrow. I have a K3 so I will compare mine and see if it's lighter because the one next to the T1 looked near Vizplex screen not Pearl.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #424
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
We should come up with a nomenclature. How about

K3 .. Keyboard, what we've always called it.
K4 .. Non touch
KT .. K4 touch
KF or Fire .. Fire

Append SO and 3G as needed
I agree with the idea of a consistent nomenclature to be used here. Currently, there are a lot of different terms being used which cause confusion.

I guess we could use what Amazon is now calling them:

Kindle 1st Gen
Kindle 2nd Gen
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle (this is the non Touch one and most confusing what to call)
Kindle Touch
Kindle Fire
Kindle DX
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #425
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I agree with the idea of a consistent nomenclature to be used here. Currently, there are a lot of different terms being used which cause confusion.

I guess we could use what Amazon is now calling them:

Kindle 1st Gen
Kindle 2nd Gen
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle (this is the non Touch one and most confusing what to call)
Kindle Touch
Kindle Fire
Kindle DX
NT = Non Touch is also the Kindle 4. I guess KK would be the K3 now as well.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #426
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Has anyone had their new Kindle "lose it's place" where you ended off reading? I always put the kindle in sleep mode when I put it down and already on a couple of occasions since I've gotten the new Kindle its on the wrong page when I wake it up again. This never happened to me before with the Kindle keyboard.
This has been mentioned over the years for just about every Kindle. The suggested solution, which seems to work, is to go to the home screen when you are finished reading.

The Kindle probably does not update the record of where you are in a book on flash memory with every page turn, so it might forget when it goes to sleep. Going to the home screen probably forces the update.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #427
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
This has been mentioned over the years for just about every Kindle. The suggested solution, which seems to work, is to go to the home screen when you are finished reading.

The Kindle probably does not update the record of where you are in a book on flash memory with every page turn, so it might forget when it goes to sleep. Going to the home screen probably forces the update.
Interesting. If that's the case Amazon could easily fix that in the firmware by forcing the location to be saved when you go into standby mode. It's always worked for me in the last year (I always go into standby mode in the middle of a book)
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #428
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Someone posted a pic of the K4 besides the T1 and it was considerably lighter so I don't know a bad batch maybe? Only some are getting this? Mine is at my local Post Office I just have to wait for them to deliver it tomorrow. I have a K3 so I will compare mine and see if it's lighter because the one next to the T1 looked near Vizplex screen not Pearl.
Hi Masa.F, I notice you said you upgraded the firmware to 4.0.1, but did you actually go into the settings and make the page refresh happen each time. It looks like this:

Last edited by Zeebra; 10-04-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Edit: I just realized it wasn't Blossom I shoudl have been talking to...ooops
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #429
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

[
The third picture is a bit too exaggerated(the upper is K4), to be honest.

That's a big difference in contrast. The Kindle 3's background is several shades lighter. Hopefully, it is just a bad batch.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #430
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Can anyone tell me if the packaging the K4 is shipped in would fit in a standard mailbox? I'm talking the ones you see in the US on the side of the road? Going a little nuts here but it says delivered but not at my door. I wont be able to check my mailbox till later tonight.

She has done this before then she hand delivered it the next day but I hate the thought my K4 might be cooking in a tin box.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #431
kitkat_
kitkat_ began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, iPad 2, iPhone 5
Quote:
I just noticed I now have a bunch of foreign dictionaries which are now in my account. I am guessing the new Kindle supports these. I wonder if they are safe to delete. I don't need stuff I can't read clogging up my archive.

Kindle-Benutzerhandbuch
Dictionnaire français de définitions
Manuale dell'utente del Kindle
Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa
el Diccionario de la lengua española
lo Zingarelli Vocabolario della Lingua Italiana
Guide d'utilisation Kindle
Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch
Guía del usuario de Kindle
Guia do Usuário do Kindle
Wow, I hope they make those available to prior owners. I have a K3 and I'd love a German and Italian dictionary for it.
kitkat_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #432
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Hi Blossom, I notice you said you upgraded the firmware to 4.0.1, but did you actually go into the settings and make the page refresh happen each time. It looks like this:

I don't have my K4 yet. I'm trying to find my K4 it's either with my mail lady or in my mailbox but wont know till early morning. I will upgrade when I get it and see if that helps it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #433
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the packaging the K4 is shipped in would fit in a standard mailbox? I'm talking the ones you see in the US on the side of the road? Going a little nuts here but it says delivered but not at my door. I wont be able to check my mailbox till later tonight.

She has done this before then she hand delivered it the next day but I hate the thought my K4 might be cooking in a tin box.
Package is small at 1.3" D x 6.5" W x 9.2" L. I'm pretty sure it will fit in a regular mailbox.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #434
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

The box is about 8.5" x 6.5" x 1.25"

I think that would fit in a mail box.

Mine was combined in an order for something else, so both were together in a larger box. I don't know if they would send the Kindle just in its box. It does seem suitable, but it does say Kindle on the side, so anyone would know what is in it.

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-04-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: additional thought
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #435
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Package is small at 1.3" D x 6.5" W x 9.2" L. I'm pretty sure it will fit in a regular mailbox.
Now I just hope my neighbors are honest if she did that. I suppose it could be a substitute. She usually will knock and leave it at my door if I don't answer.

It's only 70F out. So hopefully it will be okay till tonight.