Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #406
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie View Post
Wow! You get dictionaries for five different languages + English. For me, that is a great feature!
Could I get someone to open the "Dictionnaire français de définitions" and get some info on publisher, number of words e.t.c.? (For the publisher, you'd be looking for a web address or something like "éditions XYZ").
Thanks!

As for your question, you can delete the dictionaries and they will appear on your archived items just like any other book.
I think it's this one, you can download a sample and maybe there's some more information on this :
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?BookID=456854

I bought for my sister's Kindle Keyboard, along with the (a bit more expensive) Le Robert Nomade 2009.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #407
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, they are normal. I lost my settings once each on both the K3 and the K4, but not since. You might have to run the plugin again as that is what I had to do. Also be sure to check the box in the plugin that says something to the effect that you want to use a sideloaded font.
Thanks for the tips. I upgraded Calibre and re-installed the plugin and the font settings held on my wife's Kindle.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #408
dominicvn
dominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toys

Device: kindle 3rd generation
I read this tread with great interest and great confusion
I would appreciate someone who can "clarify" KINDLE 4
I live in the USA and based on Amazon website, they only have: Kindle keyboard (Kindle 3), Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire.
Is Kindle Touch = Kindle 4 ?
Thanks in advanced
dominicvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #409
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, we're discussing the non Touch model. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader...pf_rd_i=507846
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #410
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicvn View Post
I read this tread with great interest and great confusion
I would appreciate someone who can "clarify" KINDLE 4
I live in the USA and based on Amazon website, they only have: Kindle keyboard (Kindle 3), Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire.
Is Kindle Touch = Kindle 4 ?
Thanks in advanced
We've been referring to the "Kindle" in this picture as the "Kindle 4":

Last edited by Zeebra; 10-04-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #411
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I used PMN Caecilia 85 and 86: link
Oh, wow. Thanks so much for providing the info about the fonts you use (and for reminding me/us that the Kindle Collections plug-in for Calibre includes a side-load font feature).

I added that font to both my Kindles yesterday and love the improved contrast with the screen. Even in the slightly dim light that I prefer around the house, it was incredibly easy to read using the Caecilia font.

I always thought the included default font was fine; but this is even better! (I'm going to load it into my Mom's new K4 the next time I'm up there to visit. She's 74 and this is going to help a lot!)

Thanks again! --xari.

Last edited by xari; 10-04-2011 at 09:37 AM.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #412
Zeebra
Evangelist

Engadet's review of the new Amazon lighted Kindle cover. It looks nice, but the price is ridiculous considering how cheap the actual Kindle price is:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/a...over-hands-on/
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #413
jennie
jennie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I think it's this one, you can download a sample and maybe there's some more information on this :
[url]http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=456854[/url
Thanks for spotting it for me.

For anyone else interested, the French dictionary is made by Synapse. Which, according to Google, also makes the Cordial Dico for iPhone, with 212.000 keywords. I'm guessing/hoping it's the same product. Pity it isn't an established dictionary, like the Oxford dictionary of English. On the other hand, one can always hope that it will do a better job with French declinations. I've used the German Duden for kindle, and, although the paper version is arguably the best German dictionary, the kindle version can be pretty annoying because of lacking declination support.

So, menus and dictionaries in French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. Does that mean they will be opening the corresponding kindle stores pretty soon?
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #414
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie View Post
Thanks for spotting it for me.

For anyone else interested, the French dictionary is made by Synapse. Which, according to Google, also makes the Cordial Dico for iPhone, with 212.000 keywords. I'm guessing/hoping it's the same product. Pity it isn't an established dictionary, like the Oxford dictionary of English. On the other hand, one can always hope that it will do a better job with French declinations. I've used the German Duden for kindle, and, although the paper version is arguably the best German dictionary, the kindle version can be pretty annoying because of lacking declination support.

So, menus and dictionaries in French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. Does that mean they will be opening the corresponding kindle stores pretty soon?
You're sure the Duden does not include declinations ? I'm surprised, or maybe you meant its support is not complete ?
As for the stores, the French one should open this month.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #415
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Thank you for the reply, HarryT, Zeebra.

I updated the firmware on K4 but the result was the same.
It was very difficult but I tried to take pictures of both K3 and K4 with exactly the same settings.

The third picture is a bit too exaggerated(the upper is K4), to be honest.
But you can see the difference between the two.

I want to know if anyone has the same problem.
Because I am really thinking about contacting Amazon about this...

Last edited by Masa.F; 10-04-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #416
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can see a difference, but I'm not sure that I'd say that one is worse than the other; they both look pretty good to me. But of course, if YOU perceive it to be a problem, you should contact Kindle customer service. It's what you think that matters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #417
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just noticed I now have a bunch of foreign dictionaries which are now in my account. I am guessing the new Kindle supports these. I wonder if they are safe to delete. I don't need stuff I can't read clogging up my archive.

Kindle-Benutzerhandbuch
Dictionnaire français de définitions
Manuale dell'utente del Kindle
Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa
el Diccionario de la lengua española
lo Zingarelli Vocabolario della Lingua Italiana
Guide d'utilisation Kindle
Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch
Guía del usuario de Kindle
Guia do Usuário do Kindle
I saw those in my Archive. Cool! People have been asking for this and apparently Amazon listened.

EDIT: I updated the first post in this thread to mention these dictionaries.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-04-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #418
jennie
jennie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
You're sure the Duden does not include declinations ? I'm surprised, or maybe you meant its support is not complete ?
Not complete.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #419
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Did you see the slight problems with the partial refresh turned on? Firmware 4.0.1 let's you set the new Kindle to do a full refresh on each page turn (full black flash). It could be as simple as that, you like a totally clean screen on each turn. For me the partially refreshed screen is good enough for reading.
Yes indeed. I set mine to refresh after every page turn. The K4 is very fast so this is a good option to set On.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #420
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
We've been referring to the "Kindle" in this picture as the "Kindle 4":
@dominicvn, Amazon made it difficult on us with this "Kindle" only name. I wish they had called the Kindle discussed in this thread by a unique name. We here have been calling it the Kindle non-touch or K4 NT for short or even the K4 since it is the only one of the fourth generation Kindles already released.