Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #211
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
re timing of deletion.
@Kiwidude, re deleting source folder format timing, that makes sense to me at the level of doing it per author for all books by that author outside of calibre when the titles are in calibre and cleaned. Yeah, I started discriminating Raw Books as Raw Books/Pending and Raw Books/Calibre'd but tend to forget to move them from pending after Adding.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #212
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
@kacir, so you use just one library for everything?, do a pass (requiring months maybe?) to work by author from A to Z, meanwhile adding whatever you download, then start over with A-Z iteratively forever? Or do you eventually move the "clear" ones to a Clear Library?
I have one library. Well, there are a few others, but they have been used mainly to import some books in bulk and then dump the books to the main library.

So. I have one library. Every day I sit down and clean up some books, going by authors. So I select some book with the "Clean" column set to No , press Alt+A to see what I have from this author. Then I do a search for just author surname. I inspect the books, check metadata, download missing metadata. (I use the automatic download of metadata and/or covers a lot.) Then I set the "Clean" column to Yes.
When I am adding some new books (that happens quite rarely nowadays, I am too busy organising what I already have ;-) It took me years and years of hoarding to create my "Kitchen sink" mess ;-) ) I just have a look at the author and see if I already have a book. So for every newly added book I check metadata and do a general cleanup / merge, so that I do not have to go through it again. Even so, the number of clean books is growing steadily.

I have PocketBook reader that can read many e-book file formats, even if they are not formatted well. PocketBook replaces most of the formatting with my pre-set values. I am also quite tolerant. I am not going to spend hours reformatting the book just to read it once - I have been reading ebooks for more than 10 years and at the beginning there were very few well formatted books available. I mean bold, italics, header styles ...
So I am usually not very keen on spending considerable time cleaning particular book/file.
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #213
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have one library. Well, there are a few others, but they have been used mainly to import some books in bulk and then dump the books to the main library.

So. I have one library. Every day I sit down and clean up some books, going by authors. ... I am also quite tolerant. I am not going to spend hours reformatting the book just to read it once - I have been reading ebooks for more than 10 years and at the beginning there were very few well formatted books available. I mean bold, italics, header styles ...
So I am usually not very keen on spending considerable time cleaning particular book/file.
I'm not very keen on it either. My limit is 5 minutes cleaning per if necessary, more than that it's too much work for the purpose of reading a book. I guess I'm relatively tolerant too for various format problems, beyond even being given that I'm new to eBooks this year and don't understand conversion pipeline or format evaluation nuances.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #214
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is Cleaning and there is [i]Cleaning[/i]

I tend to clean up the Metadata right away, then clean the book later. I Have a column 'Last Edited' (date) that I update any time I manually (conversion does not count) touch the contents of a book. I also use a 3 state column Passed Flightcrew. Yes, No, (not checked)
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #215
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, how can I configure Calibre to search for Author the following way:
I position cursor on a book Craphound by Cory Doctorow and press Alt+A (or other shortcut) and the Calibre would search for
author:"Doctorow"
instead of default
author:"=Cory Doctorow"
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #216
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I tend to clean up the Metadata right away, then clean the book later. I Have a column 'Last Edited' (date) that I update any time I manually (conversion does not count) touch the contents of a book. I also use a 3 state column Passed Flightcrew. Yes, No, (not checked)
Does calibre use Flightcrew to validate an ePub? Does Sigil?
Too tired to search documentations right now.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #217
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
I position cursor on a book Craphound by Cory Doctorow and press Alt+A (or other shortcut) and the Calibre would search for
instead of default
Good question. I'd like to know too. Because right now, all that comes to mind is using a regex to get the last name element somehow into the search process, but I don't know exactly how to do that. Otherwise, I thought maybe bulk seach/replace regexing the author LN element into a Tag or a new LN column, then using the tag or column template in the search box.

Edit: Search dialog (binoculars) allows menu choice for regex across the metadata - so that's closer.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #218
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does calibre use Flightcrew to validate an ePub? Does Sigil?
Too tired to search documentations right now.
Flightcrew is also part of Sigil, but only called by the user action (you can edit and never run FC)
BTW the feature of FC insideSigil is that it takes you to the error section on a double-click.

Last edited by theducks; 09-04-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: more
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #219
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Off topic, but, in using BBcodes or HTML tags, do people tend to prefer using convention of [UPPERCASE] or [lowercase]?

Edit: On topic, what good does validating the ePub do? If it's validated, do more various device readers not choke on it or something? If it's not valid and full of errors, does it matter?

Last edited by unboggling; 09-04-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #220
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Flightcrew is also part of Sigil, but only called by the user action (you can edit and never run FC)
BTW the feature of FC insideSigil is that it takes you to the error section on a double-click.
Ah. That makes sense. I just DL'd Flightcrew (binary GUI version which the doc said uses QT, as opposed to source command line v) and ran it on a Baen CD ePub. it didn't validate. Flightcrew does give a pretty list of errors by line. Being HTML ignorant I've no idea what to do about those errors though.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-04-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #221
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ah. That makes sense. I just DL'd Flightcrew (binary GUI version which the doc said uses QT, as opposed to source command line v) and ran it on a Baen CD ePub. it didn't validate. Flightcrew does give a pretty list of errors by line. Being HTML ignorant I've no idea what to do about those errors though.

Once you have seen (and fixed) a few, you will notice the same ones crop up all the time.
new book in Sigil: Hit F8 Enter (fixes missing Language declaration)

Naked text/tags: Surround with <div> or <p>
undeclared variable : clear=.., vlink=.., link=.. I remove them completely

Broken links, anchors can be fun to locate and fix
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #222
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Once you have seen (and fixed) a few, you will notice the same ones crop up all the time.
new book in Sigil: Hit F8 Enter (fixes missing Language declaration)

Naked text/tags: Surround with <div> or <p>
undeclared variable : clear=.., vlink=.., link=.. I remove them completely

Broken links, anchors can be fun to locate and fix
Thanks.

Fun. I like fun. That's a motivator.

Edit: Time, I think, for me to read the Sigil documentation and start some serious playing with it.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-04-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #223
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
instead of default
I wonder if there's a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to a saved advanced search?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #224
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
instead of default
OK.
I finally got motivated enough to roll up my sleeves and create my personal version of Calibre with the desired functionality.

I have installed development version of Calibre.
I have found the source for "Find similar books" functionality and I added another option - find similar books where the author has same surname as selected book.

I should have done that much sooner.
It will speed up the process of my cleaning up
Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #225
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
OK.
I finally got motivated enough to roll up my sleeves and create my personal version of Calibre with the desired functionality.

I have installed development version of Calibre.
I have found the source for "Find similar books" functionality and I added another option - find similar books where the author has same surname as selected book.

I should have done that much sooner.
It will speed up the process of my cleaning up
Cool. Was that difficult to do? I've never installed calibre from source before.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Closed Thread