Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
How do you not get eye strain?

My eyes hurt nearly 3 minutes after I started reading on the NookColor, at the lowest brightness setting I did read about changing the color or something though, but I did a search and can't seem to find out how? THanks!
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This seems to be something that some people just suffer from. I can read for hours on the nook color without issue, but I have no issues reading on any LCD screen. Eink is a much better option if you have eye strain issues. You can try changing to the night time option and see if it is easier on the eyes. It is in the font options.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
My eyes hurt nearly 3 minutes after I started reading on the NookColor, at the lowest brightness setting I did read about changing the color or something though, but I did a search and can't seem to find out how? THanks!
Get an e-ink device.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
This seems to be something that some people just suffer from. I can read for hours on the nook color without issue, but I have no issues reading on any LCD screen. Eink is a much better option if you have eye strain issues. You can try changing to the night time option and see if it is easier on the eyes. It is in the font options.
Where is the font option? I have a Kindle3 that I love, and the eInk doesn't bother at all, but I'd read that the different type of LCD screen on the nook makes it so it doesn't hurt at all. Apparently my eyes just suck. I still want to keep it though, it's great for graphic books, anyway.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Get an e-ink device.
Wow that is intensely helpful. Or not, really, at all.
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Not sure what you are reading that is causing this. I usually use Aldiko with it's night mode options for epub's and have recently started using RepliGo for pdf's. Try reading books in the nightmode.

Of course, the above only applies if you have a rooted NC.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
Not sure what you are reading that is causing this. I usually use Aldiko with it's night mode options for epub's and have recently started using RepliGo for pdf's. Try reading books in the nightmode.

Of course, the above only applies if you have a rooted NC.
I just got it today, I haven't rooted it (yet?). I think my eyes are just really bad, I have bad eyesight anyway and wear contacts so its probably just that I'm more prone to it than most.
Can I adjust the font with a non rooted NC?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, Belle2Be. My NC is not rooted. It may be that LCD just may not work with your eyes. Here is what I suggest. Open your book in the reader. Tap in the middle of the screen. A menu window pops up at the bottom. Click on the Aa text option. Here is where you can select font. Many of us have been using Georgia. Here is where you can also select the background color. Many of us use Sepia so the screen is not bright white. Some also like gray & night mode. You can also change the font size, line spacing and margin size in this box. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
It hurts my eyes too but I can't say that it hurts enough to make me stop using it. Because of this I don't read much on my NC, I read on my eInk nook. The NC is rooted so I use it mostly for twitter, email, Google reader, web browsing. On second thought, I guess I do read a lot on it but for some reason that kind of reading doesn't cause as much eye strain.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Wow that is intensely helpful.
You're the one who asked for it. And...you're welcome.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I have bad eyesight anyway and wear contacts so its probably just that I'm more prone to it than most.
Contacts make your eyes photosensitive so that's probably the culprit. I used to wear contacts and the sensitivity to light was very uncomfortable.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
+1 for the gray background and increased line spacing.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #13
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
You're the one who asked for it. And...you're welcome.
Do you even own a NC? If not, then please refrain from replying to someone who has one.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Also, has your NC updated to the latest firmware? Because it's supposed to let you lower the brightness more.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
I don't do anything special, and I don't get any eye strain, even after a few hours. Contrast is about 1/4 in a well light room. I turn the contrast down to near minimum when in a dark environment and use the night mode if lights are all off.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote