Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would YOU use?
Pocketbook InkPad 1 100.00%
Nook glowlight plus 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2023, 03:37 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post

.. I would advise some users to try the OLED screen, as some users are obsessed with contrast and completely forget about other important aspects that the eReader offers.
Wanting good contrast doesn't mean one is "obsessed" with it, nor does it mean other aspects aren't important.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 04:27 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I find it extremely unlikely that they intentionally lowered the contrast so as to not offend the eyes of some extremely sensitive readers. It's much more likely that they've just failed to develop a screen that's matte enough not to act as a mirror, but that still will let through the right amount of light. They have historically used sunken screens, so it's probable that they haven't found the right kind of glass layer to use yet.

No e-ink screen comes even close to having too much contrast. All of them are significantly worse than printed paper books on that front. I welcome Carta 1300 and all better glass layers.
I'd agree with most of that. But for printed books it depends on the paper and print quality.
I've some actually 19th books that must be decent paper and were well printed. Excellent contrast and sharpness.
I've paperbacks that must be nearly 100% wood pulp, seriously orange and lower contrast than eink.

I've some printed books that lack ink density, thus are poor contrast and I had a couple of books I binned as the text was smudged.

The PW3 is certainly poorer contrast (with front light off) than any new paper back and most of the old hardback on quality paper.

Some eInk fonts can be too bold, or not 150 dpi or 167 dpi screens. But I refuse to believe any eink panel has too high contrast.
I'd endorse this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I find it extremely unlikely that they intentionally lowered the contrast so as to not offend the eyes of some extremely sensitive readers. It's much more likely that they've just failed to develop a screen that's matte enough not to act as a mirror, but that still will let through the right amount of light
I've seen all sorts of crazy claims backed up with neat looking graphs. Usually the measurement techniques are suspect or not properly explained.

Note that subtle changes in font outline, anti-aliasing, resolution and aspects of "sharpness" can affect perception of contrast and vice versa.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-28-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Wanting good contrast doesn't mean one is "obsessed" with it, nor does it mean other aspects aren't important.
Especially when it moves the reading experience from unpleasant to pleasant.

This is a case where perception is more important than measurement.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 04:58 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

This is a case where perception is more important than measurement.
Yes, and that is affected by choice and weight of font face, font size, letter spacing & kerning, word spacing, hyphenation system, line spacing and how the font is rendered (anti-aliasing, resolution, hinting). Actual contrast of a multi-pixel wide vertical or horizontal stroke is indeed just one aspect of reading ease / perception.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 09:07 AM   #20
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I certainly wouldn't say that. In addition, it is very easy to measure. Even the E-INK Pearl screens achieved a higher contrast than the printed version.

.. I would advise some users to try the OLED screen, as some users are obsessed with contrast and completely forget about other important aspects that the eReader offers.
What's the legend to this graph?
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, nook glowlight plus, pocketbook, pocketbook inkpad