Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 04:51 PM   #1
jdrpersonal21
jdrpersonal21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Trash Emptying on Calibre - Too permanent

I see Calibre's new trash system and think it is generally a good thing to do it this way. But there does seem to be one major problem - there's no good way to preserve the files you may not want in Calibre easily. Yes, you can right click them and save - but you'd have to save each one individually, which, depending on the circumstances, could be very tedious. And if you permanently delete them, they disappear entirely, instead of going to trash bin for the user to delete themselves. This is a problem for me, because I often remove files out of my calibre that I still may want to keep, and I end up merging a lot of entries for various reasons, so saving each individually is madness.

Please give users an opportunity to either save deleted files in bulk, or send deleted files to the system's trash, instead of deleting them permanently all together.
jdrpersonal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrpersonal21 View Post
I see Calibre's new trash system and think it is generally a good thing to do it this way. But there does seem to be one major problem - there's no good way to preserve the files you may not want in Calibre easily. Yes, you can right click them and save - but you'd have to save each one individually, which, depending on the circumstances, could be very tedious. And if you permanently delete them, they disappear entirely, instead of going to trash bin for the user to delete themselves. This is a problem for me, because I often remove files out of my calibre that I still may want to keep, and I end up merging a lot of entries for various reasons, so saving each individually is madness.

Please give users an opportunity to either save deleted files in bulk, or send deleted files to the system's trash, instead of deleting them permanently all together.
One partial solution to your problem is to make multiple backups using FreeFileSync. After the first copy of each backup set, you will only copy/change what's changed for each backup set.

This way if you do delete something you want to keep but it's no longer in calibre's trash, all you have to do is get the books from the backup library
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Why not save the files you want to keep BEFORE you delete them using the Save to Disk feature? You can do that in bulk; just mark every file, select "show marked files", select them all and save to disk. You can also do that with individual files before any merging operations.

Deciding to keep a file after you've deleted them seems a very inefficient way of saving something.

And of course keeping a backup copy of your library is always a good idea.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One partial solution to your problem is to make multiple backups using FreeFileSync. After the first copy of each backup set, you will only copy/change what's changed for each backup set.

This way if you do delete something you want to keep but it's no longer in calibre's trash, all you have to do is get the books from the backup library
Does FFS keep a copy of the content of deleted folder & files, or keep multiple versions of files that are changed multiple times?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Does FFS keep a copy of the content of deleted folder & files, or keep multiple versions of files that are changed multiple times?

BR
The trick is not to run FFS immediately after changing something, but only when you're sure you want the changes to be permanent.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Quote:
The trick is not to run FFS immediately after changing something, but only when you're sure you want the changes to be permanent.
Is that a "Yes" or a "No"?

I do incremental backups of all my data at the end of every day, irrespective of which applications use the data. I don't use FFS, in part because it didn't exist when I started using the tool I do use… which does retain copies of deleted and superseded folders and files.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-14-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:42 PM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I find the new deletion behaviour a more robust and user-friendly implementation, though I never bothered with going through Windows Recycle Bin in order to restore eventually undesired deletions. It was just a matter of cutting the deleted book folder off the bin and pasting it on some directory, then re-adding the titles.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 12-14-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:00 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
I find the new deletion behaviour a more robust and user-friendly implementation . . .
Me too, especially when I have to recover a book or format files that I just deleted accidentally - oops.

BR
Old 12-15-2023, 12:28 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is that a "Yes" or a "No"?

I do incremental backups of all my data at the end of every day, irrespective of which applications use the data. I don't use FFS, in part because it didn't exist when I started using the tool I do use… which does retain copies of deleted and superseded folders and files.

BR
FFS makes an exact copy, so no, of course it doesn't retain deleted folders. Personally I wouldn't want it to. I never delete stuff I might need later, so I have no need for a tool that does that. Deleted files would only take up space on both my local and external drives, and as I have several TBs of various stuff, space is important to me.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-15-2023 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2023, 12:52 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
FFS makes an exact copy, so no, of course it doesn't retain deleted folders. Personally I wouldn't want it to. I never delete stuff I might need later, so I have no need for a tool that does that. Deleted files would only take up space on both my local and external drives, and as I have several TBs of various stuff, space is important to me.
Well, well, look what I found ==>> Versioning - FreeFileSync

How did I find that, by scanning this list ==>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ation_software

BR
Old 12-15-2023, 12:57 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, well, look what I found ==>> Versioning - FreeFileSync

How did I find that, by scanning this list ==>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ation_software

BR
Heh, what do you know. I've never used this option, so I didn't remember it existing. For my purposes I don't want versioning, but good to know it exists.

Tags
bug, calibre, trash