Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Nook HD buying questions

Hi

I am after a cheap 7inch tablet which I can use as an ereader and make notes on to either email home or ideally drop into Dropbox. The Nook HD is currently £159 for the 16gb so I am looking at that as I like the SD Card ability. I need to be able to use these apps and just wondered if anyone could confirm I could use them please?

Kindle
Dropbox
Some kind of documents app (I use Pages on my iPad)
A PDF reader
Google Docs
Facebook (ideally)
Web access (when on wifi)

Basically I write book reviews for a web site and when commuting I want to be able to read and write reviews. I currently read on a Kindle PW and write reviews on an iPhone when out and about but the iPhone is a bit small.

I've never had an android device so not really sure what I'm getting, I've always been an apple person but the current iPad mini is far too expensive considering the screen it has.

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I use all of the things on your list except for dropbox. Maybe someone else can answer that one.. :-) I have the larger hd+ and it is wonderful.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, I'm off to play with one.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Since the update to add Google Play it's basically a full Android tablet. I don't think any of those apps will cause problems or be incompatible.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you, I picked one up tonight and so far i'm very happy with it.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Dropbox was an app always available in the nook app store even before B&N became a part of the borg and opened up to officially supporting Google Play. In fact, even with the new Google-poisoned firmware update, you can still download "pure" nook apps including Dropbox and the Dolphin browser (which has Flash support that the Nook HD/HD+ no longer supports. There WAS a flash plugin for the native Nook HD web browser - not labeled as such - but since Google chrome muscled out the native Nook browser, Flash went buh-bye on the Web on the HD.)

(Re-looking at your list, you'll need Google Play to get Google Docs or the Kindle app, but all of the other capabilities you list were there on a NookHD pre-Google Play.)

Last edited by oj829; 06-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I write book reviews so for me Kindle, Dropbox and Google Docs plus a decent PDF reader were the most important. I'm happy with everything so far except the PDF reader as I want reflow with the ability to increase text size. So far only Foxit seems to be able to work like that.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Josieb1; 06-10-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
In fact, even with the new Google-poisoned firmware update, you can still download "pure" nook apps including Dropbox and the Dolphin browser (which has Flash support that the Nook HD/HD+ no longer supports.
You are the first human being I've encountered who is upset that B&N "joined the Borg" rather than trying to reinvent the wheel on limited resources. They're Android devices, man. Pretending otherwise was a failed marketing move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I write book reviews so for me Kindle, Dropbox and Google Docs plus a decent PDF reader were the most important. I'm happy with everything so far except the PDF reader as I want reflow with the ability to increase text size. So far only Foxit seems to be able to work like that.

Thanks or your input.
The last time I tried a PDF was several versions ago, but Mantano Reader had good reflow with adjustable font size at that time. I remember finding it superior to EZPDF for text-dominated PDFs. I avoid PDFs whenever possible, but I understand some businesses and publishers still use it just to have a (bloated, inflexible, inefficient) standard.

Some apps are incompatible or just don't run properly on the Nook HD/HD+, but all of your cloud apps work fine. The only major app I use that doesn't work is Google Voice.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
The last time I tried a PDF was several versions ago, but Mantano Reader had good reflow with adjustable font size at that time. I remember finding it superior to EZPDF for text-dominated PDFs. I avoid PDFs whenever possible, but I understand some businesses and publishers still use it just to have a (bloated, inflexible, inefficient) standard.
I actually discovered this app just as you posted. I have lite version now and am very impressed.

Thank you
Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
You are the first human being I've encountered who is upset that B&N "joined the Borg" rather than trying to reinvent the wheel on limited resources. They're Android devices, man. Pretending otherwise was a failed marketing move.
And keeping app-sideloading disabled means it's still critically crippled. Now B&N is pretending it's ... something different. Not sure what. But all NookHD app access is controlled by Google and/or B&N. Smells like Apple to me.

For some people, being part of the Googleborg is not the be all and end-all of portable achievement. The new FW means, for one thing, that the NookHD is not really the family-tab it was meant to be. Under the new firmware, you can't get Flash without Nook Dolphin (yes, I know it's dying; it's also still necessary at a lot of news sites). "Article View" is gone because their old browser is.

Dealkillers? Maybe not for a lot of people, but the switch caused a lot of chaos in our home. Speaking for myself, I got my own $129 HD, a $55 N2A card, and have declined to load Google shovelware which is becoming more of a PITA than its worth.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I wouldn't have bought a Nook Tablet without Google Play. I need the Kindle app, its a deal breaker for me.