Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
hotwheelslover98
hotwheelslover98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7"
Is it possible to custom reimage a nook?

We are trying to loan out nook tablets at our library, and were wondering if there was a way to reimage a Nook to a custom image (like technology does to the computers). It would be easier because we know that the patrons will change the settings. We want to be able to keep the documents and settings we put on, but be able to get rid of any changes they have made. We are not allowed to root them, so thats out of he question. I don't know if this is possible, but I have to give it a try. (P.S. if a computer is needed it has to be Mac or Windows.) Thanks!
hotwheelslover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
You have to root it to change the image. So, looks like that's out. Only thing you can do is a factory reset once you get it back from them. This will wipe out all of their changes/settings, but will also wipe out your stuff too.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelslover98 View Post
We are trying to loan out nook tablets at our library, and were wondering if there was a way to reimage a Nook to a custom image (like technology does to the computers). It would be easier because we know that the patrons will change the settings. We want to be able to keep the documents and settings we put on, but be able to get rid of any changes they have made. We are not allowed to root them, so thats out of he question. I don't know if this is possible, but I have to give it a try. (P.S. if a computer is needed it has to be Mac or Windows.) Thanks!
Depending on the types of changes you'd like to make to customize the Nook setup, you might or might not have to root the Nook.

Regardless of the changes you make, you can backup your customized Nook setup to a microSD card by using a Recovery tool such as CWM or TWRP. For the Nook Tablet (not Nook HD), see this post to get a feel for how to make a Recovery SD card (steps 1 and 2 (a+b)) and how to perform a backup (steps 3, 4, and 5); restoring the backup image to the Nook is the same 3/4/5 sequence except that you would need to choose "Restore" menu item in step 5. See also this post for more info for the NT's internal storage partition structure and associated content, as well as some additional pointers/tips on creating a Recovery SDcard.

Last edited by livramax; 02-11-2013 at 03:18 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
hotwheelslover98

I'll have to try that out. But one question. Will that image work for multiple Nooks or will I have to make a new one for each Nook?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelslover98 View Post
I'll have to try that out. But one question. Will that image work for multiple Nooks or will I have to make a new one for each Nook?
I think you probably would have to make a backup copy for each device, since the /system partition being backed up contains working copy of some of the device-unique data such as its WiFi MAC address.

You can store multiple backup copies on the same SDcard (subject to space constraint), you just have to track which backup folder (typically named by a time-stamp of the date+time the backup is created) belongs to which device.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
hotwheelslover98

Ok, I just tried it out tonight, and it worked perfectly. Thank You! This is going to save our butts down here.