Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ePub Tutorial

Since ePub is becoming so popular I wanted to learn more about it. Can anyone direct me to any good ePub creation tutorial for newbies? I don't know much of anything about HTML and the like, so I'm looking for a tutorial that is geared for beginners. I searched the forums and the wiki and couldn't turn up anything.

Thanks!
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Learning HTML is your first step - can't do anything without that. I'd suggest that you buy a good book on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For learning (X)HTML and CSS, I'd use http://www.w3schools.com/

Once you get that (which is not hard), this page explains how to build an ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Jellyby, I'll take a look at those links. I just want to know enough so that I can edit ePUb's already out there. Perhaps to edit the format a bit so that it seems nicer to me or add a ToC where one is missing. I've been using BD to convert/edit supported formats, but it's been kind of mind boggling with Epub's since there are so many different files associated with an Epub.

I've read that the CSS file contains the type of justification an Epub has. I was wondering if this can be changed if it's not a DRMed version and is it something that would be simple to do. For example, making an ePub fully justified if it was not.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Changing the formatting should be relatively simple, and only modifying the CSS could be enough (though it could be quite "obfuscated" and messy). In my ePUB files, for instance, you'd just have to add "body{text-align:justify;}" to the OEBPS/css/style.css file.

As for adding or modifying a TOC, you want to look into the NCX file.

Finally, for editing ePUB files, I advise you to use Sigil. It's still in alpha stage, but should be pretty usable.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
For learning (X)HTML and CSS, I'd use http://www.w3schools.com/

Once you get that (which is not hard), this page explains how to build an ePUB.
There is also http://sites.google.com/site/spontan...-epub-tutorial

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting. Thanks all.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
parvezali
parvezali began at the beginning.

I thought I could share the below listed web sites with you all. This has a basic introduction to epub format.

http://www.web-books.com/Publishing/epub.htm (A basic introduction)
http://www.hxa.name/articles/content...7241_2007.html (Guide to specification with samples)

Parvez
parvezali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for the links Parvez!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
We shouldn't forget hte list of wonderful resources already posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43230

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote