Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Post Asus to launch cheap ebook reader this year

Asus plans to join the ebook reader fray with a smarter and cheaper device called the Eee Reader. Asus will launch the device before the end of this year, The Sunday Times writes citing a spokesperson for Asus in the UK. The company may even launch multiple devices. The Asus ebook reader will open like a book and feature a touchscreen. Pages could be flipped from one screen to the next, or one screen could be used as an on-screen keypad. The device would have full colour screens, may also feature speakers, a webcam and and a microphone for services such as Skype. Asus is reportedly aiming for a price of GBP 100.

Last edited by grimo1re; 09-08-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fixed up language issues.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I wish people left foreign words for foreign forums and stuck to using English in English forums (keep on dreaming)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Shhh, you're only encouraging them!
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I wish people left foreign words for foreign forums and stuck to using English in English forums (keep on dreaming)
I wish people would stop thinking the world ends at the borders of their own country and language.

Back to topic: What I read this morning is that Acer plans on coming up with 2 liseuses, a low end version for about 175$ and a high-end version (the double screen one) for which no price was mentiond.

I doubt that a dual color display liseuse with touch screen and wi-fi will have a street price under a 1000$ when released.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
2 liseuses
I wonder why people enjoy being nasty and inflicting pain for no other reason but I can do it, I can make someone feel bad, so I will do it.
Even animals are above it.
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I wonder why people enjoy being nasty and inflicting pain for no other reason but I can do it, I can make someone feel bad, so I will do it.
astra, you seem to be overreacting a bit, particularly in light of the long and glorious tradition of "borrowing" words from other languages which english (and in fact *most* if not all living languages) have been enriched by. probably the majority of words in any one of your (english-language) posts have non-english origins, whether they are recent or not. you know what is meant by the use of the word "liseuse" here, no need to make a big deal out of it. there was certainly nothing in any previous post to justify your post above, i sincerely doubt you are suffering any pain or suffering from the use of the word "liseuse" nor was that the intention of Eric's post.

back on topic, i can't wait to see what Asus has in store for us with their new liseuses. I'd particularly love to see a "tablette" style model with one screen only for a really cheap price, i suspect that that would make ebooks take off even more than they already are. i'm very curious to see the screen technology they'll use as well.

well, more waiting, i guess !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Seems a little bit of an over-reaction to a simple word.

Personally, I quite like the word and there is a long history of the English language adopting foreign language words into its vocabulary. I would actually use the word liseuse if I didn't think that I would immediately be called a poseur!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Seems a little bit of an over-reaction to a simple word.
It was not about the word. It was about user's behaviour. The user new from the tone of my post that I disliked it, so the user made the word to stand out in bold.

zelda_pinwheel
I firmly believe that it is a show of bad maners when a person uses a foreign language in company of other people whose native language is different. I believe that on English forum you speak English on German forum you speak German etc. A bit of respect to others.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I wish people would stop thinking the world ends at the borders of their own country and language.

Back to topic: What I read this morning is that Acer plans on coming up with 2 liseuses, a low end version for about 175$ and a high-end version (the double screen one) for which no price was mentiond.

I doubt that a dual color display liseuse with touch screen and wi-fi will have a street price under a 1000$ when released.
Acer too huh?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Don't worry. Only a few people use the word; they're in the minority.

However, with that said, remember that MobileRead has members from all over the world. Words come and words go, though; and some words just lack the guts (or intestinal fortitude) to continue.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-08-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Well, it is just somewhat rude to go to some place and speak something that is not the dominant language. It would be like if I went to the french part of the forum and demanded that the people I dealt with spoke English. I'm on their turf, so gotta conform to their ways.

Also, it isn't helpful to mix languages, unless the words in question have had widespread adoption, because that can make what you're saying not very clear to those who speak only one of the languages used. You ask the average person, and they'd probably have no clue what a liseuse is.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
learn something new everyday

A Liseuse desk is a medium sized writing table with a small hinged panel in the middle which can spring up by the aid of a mechanism or be propped up at a desired angle to facilitate reading, or writing on its slanted surface. Many have lateral panels which swing out on both sides to give a larger desk surface.

The name comes from "liseuse" which is the feminine form of "liseur" in French. This is often translated as "reader" but it is used normally to describe a person who really likes to read, while a simple reader is called "lecteur" or "lectrice" in the feminine gender. This is one indication of who this type of desk was originally marketed to
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

However, with that said, remember that MobileRead has members from all over the world.

Don
Exactly my point. If everybody starts to use words from their languages on the whim we would get gibberish instead of a coherent conversation.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Well, it is just somewhat rude to go to some place and speak something that is not the dominant language. It would be like if I went to the french part of the forum and demanded that the people I dealt with spoke English. I'm on their turf, so gotta conform to their ways.

Also, it isn't helpful to mix languages, unless the words in question have had widespread adoption, because that can make what you're saying not very clear to those who speak only one of the languages used. You ask the average person, and they'd probably have no clue what a liseuse is.
I know quite a lot of people who come to Taiwan and try to make locals feel inferior because they don't speak English. In fact, I had some Canadian acquaintances that had lived here for years and still yelled at Taiwanese whenever the Taiwanese couldn't speak English.

However, a contextualized word drop every now and again is pretty harmless, and I think the adoption of liseuse as a term is no more sinister than the horrific misappropriation of the Japanese term bokeaji (or bokeh as it's popularly known now) in photography. It is a desire to adopt a word or concept from another language that describes something whose nomenclature is thought unsatisfactory. I don't think of it as a particularly elegant solution to "ebook reader", but it's not something to get riled up about.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a news post. It should be using proper words for the topic. Asus does not call it a liseuse. So please don't call it such when reporting it. It should be called what Asus calls it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
liseuse