Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Well, upload part (the one that involves USB cable) was fine and fast. Processing part was a bit on a slow side, but problems afterwards was what required restart of device. I don't know what caused device to start to behave, I just know that it was after I uploaded two dozens of books on device. It may be connected, but also maybe isn't.
I have had issues with ebooks in past that caused hangs during the processing stage but using Sigil/Flightcrew and epubcheck to locate and cleanup problems allowed me to handle those issues. Yes, Kobo could do a better job of error handling but then the people producing the ebooks could do a better job of producing standards compliant ebooks. Not to mention the sheer number of ebooks that look like crap on the screen often making me think that they were produced by someone who had never seen a computer before. I've tried restarting a Kobo and sometimes that worked to finish processing but when I tried to read the problem ebooks, I've had restarts, GUI crashes and all other kinds of fun.

Recent experience with copying ebooks to my H2O was a couple of weeks back when I did a factory reset due to issues I caused when using an alternate reader. I connected to my computer and did the firmware update and Kobo ebook sync, disconnected, let the upgrade run, reconnected, copied over the patch files, disconnected and let the patches install. Finally connected and used Sigil to copy over ~2500 ebooks which took ~30 minutes. Disconnected, plugged into an old Blackberry USB power supply and left the H2O for the hours needed to process the ebooks. Next morning all was fine so I waited a week and then re-installed AltBoot and stabler versions of the alternate readers. Promised myself--again--that I would not install a daily build for the next couple of months and am back to happily reading.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The eBooks I load onto my H2O have been checked with epubcheck and sometimes also Calibre's ePub checker. So I know technically they are not an issue. So maybe the problem with a freezing, slow, glitchy Kobo is due to errors in the eBooks. That would make sense. Also, when the Kobo acts odd, use Kobo Utilities to check the database and make sure it has no errors. But even if it has no errors, it could have garbage in it due to eBook(s) with error(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert