Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ask the artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Well sorry it's off topic. But that doesn't change the fact that Dresden has Matrix written on his staff in Japanese. Weird.
I'm afraid that you'd have to ask the artist who painted it that way to get an answer.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The first series I remember being hooked on was Lucy Maude Montgomery, The Story Girl. I had read her other books by he time I was 7 and they were okay, but the Story Girl enthralled me. Next it was the Sacketts, by Louis L'amour. Go figure.

Another book/series I remember fondly from childhood is The Mouse That Roared, by Leonard Wibberley.

About 12 I discovered SF and it was Heinlein, Delaney, Asimov, Lieber etc. for many a year, interspersed with Taylor Caudwell, Leon Uris, and a fair chunk of Shakespeare.

The book that made me think the most is quite possibly Lord of the Flies. I didn't actually find it a fun read, but it still comes to mind on occasion.

Helen
Loved the Sackett books.
Gotta agree, nobody would read Lord of the Flies for fun, but it will be one of the most enduring 20th century novels.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Terrance Dicks, I couldn't get enough of his Doctor Who books.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Loved the Sackett books.
Gotta agree, nobody would read Lord of the Flies for fun, but it will be one of the most enduring 20th century novels.
Indeed.

On the Sacketts, and dusters in general. I work in an aboriginal community 5 months a year. Last year I sold one of my spare ereaders to a guy who had all the Louis L'amour books in paper and ebook, but didn't like carrying them around from job to job or reading them on his laptop. People over 40 read a lot in the north. Many of them are reading dusters. I find it a bit odd, that a fairly belligerent community as to aboriginal rights are reading books that refer to them as Indians. Mostly they get right in the tourists faces if they call them Indians. Not saying it is wrong just a tad peculiar.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Franklin W. Dixon and The Hardy Boys series.
In my Teen years it was Ian Fleming and James Bond.
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
The 'Adventure' series of books by Willard Price were the first books that I remember actively seeking out and devouring. I loved them.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-19-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The big influences in my youngest reading were Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, and the various writers of the Perry Rhodan series (those translated into English in the 1960's). Honorable mention has to go to Ace Books, the most available SF publisher of that age to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
DaveinJapan
Enthusiast
DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.

Device: iPhone
Great stuff so far! Already some familiar names, as we as some I'm not so familiar with (perfect!). I appreciate reading the stories so far, and I'm looking forward to more...
DaveinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Lewis Carroll, and later Asimov - LeGuin - Clarke - McCaffrey - Tolkien - Lewis - L'Engle - Shelley, set me up for a life of loving speculative fiction.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I read a lot of nancy drew and hardy boys as a kid, but my favorite has been Stephen King since I was like 7....is that weird lol
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #26
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I read voraciously from a very early age, so there are many authors to choose from. However, the ones who really stands out are Alexandre Dumas, Jules Verne, Charles Dickens and the many authors, translators, and scholars behind One Thousand and One Nights.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Conan Doyle for his Shelock Holmes (for fun) and Thomas Hardy (for school.) I read Hardy's The Return of the Native in HS for a class and I just loved it all. I went on to read many of his other novels on my own later. It was like I lived on a heath at times. Aside from A Tale of Two Cities I never got into Dickens.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Simak and Asimov are the two authors I can remember noticing when I was young, and in particular, Simak's Way Station and a collection of Asimov's shorter fiction that included "Sally"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Heinlein got me to enjoy reading.
Bradbury got me to think about what I was reading.
Burroughs got me to visualize what I was reading.
Clavell got me to branch out from scifi.

I thank them all!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #30
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Stephen King, Robert Lynn Asprin.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andromeda strain, authors, crighton, influential, writers