Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
python on pocketbook ... and on onyx boox m92 too!

Just a very short notice (bed calls). It seems that its possible to run python on the pocketbook 903: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...01&postcount=1.

The nice thing: it seems that exactly the same binaries work on onyx boox as well. I just copied the files mentioned in the other thread onto the boox m92, and did a symlink from /mnt/ext1/applications into that python directory.

Code:
root@onyx /mnt/ext1/applications$ ln -s /media/flash/python .
root@onyx /mnt/ext1/applications$ cd python
root@onyx /media/flash/python$ echo "print 1+2" > test.py

root@onyx /media/flash/python$ ./bin/python test.py

(the testserver is missing a libz.so.1 on the boox, but I am quite optimistic that this can be easily fixed, given the open source nature of the m92.

For me this is really exiting - it would allow lots of existing python code (for e.g. epub or pdf handling) to be run, maybe with an web-interface run off a local webserver. ...easy cross platform development....web servers .... n900.... sweet dreams for me tonight :-)
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
measure
measure began at the beginning.

Device: none
jbaach:

This is quite interesting, and indeed opens many possibilities. I think the M92 could become the perfect mobile reading device if the community gets behind it. Do you know what sort of video server the M92 uses? I haven't really taken too much of a look at the git-hub sources.

A bit off topic, but I would also love to try to get nfs working on the M92 (which I just ordered, mostly because of you!).

Thanks,
Ryan
measure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Python!? That is fantastic. I am not programmer but in IT and somehow familiar with programming so here is my question, would it run Qt? I would love to have Anki running on it!!!!
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
What about a calibre client to communicate with the pc version?

I have to ask though, how fast will such programs work on an 800mhz ARM processor?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I think you will have to approach the Calibre's programmers for that.
Anki is running fine on Nook. Anki (Ankidroid) in written in Python.
Not sure if the Nook processor is much more powerfull then M92's.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
What about PyQt support?

This looks rather promising: https://bitbucket.org/dboddie/pyqt4-...linux/overview But it contains not only PyQt, but the whole package of Qt, Python, SIP and PyQt...

Last edited by tuxor; 04-12-2012 at 01:32 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Today, I had a closer look at cross-compiling PyQt. And everything I can tell at the moment is: It's a horror. Compiling Python 2.7.3 is really easy considering this Howto: http://randomsplat.com/id5-cross-com...ded-linux.html

But PyQt is so incompatible to cross-compiling. No native parameters for HOST or TARGET and BUILD. And just scan through all those patches here: https://bitbucket.org/dboddie/pyqt4-...linux/overview Unfortunately some of them are not fitting the latest version of PyQt, so you will have to check out each one yourself... that's not exactly fun.

I can't believe, cross-compiling PyQt is so damn hard. Isn't Qt about cross-platform compatibility etc? So if somebody runs into a solution to this problem, I would really love to see it...

EDIT:
On M92 we have version 4.7.3 of Qt. Unfortunately that's not compatible with the most recent version of PyQt (4.9.1). So it'd be cool to know where to get older versions of PyQt, 4.8.X preferably...

Last edited by tuxor; 04-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't know what the OS on the Onyx devices looks like, but maybe you can avoid cross-compiling by building within an emulated ARM linux environment. For my PocketBook, I can use a Debian lenny armel system under qemu to build software that isn't set up for cross-compilation. Maybe you can do the same, or even use the newer Debian sid/squeeze armel system instead.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
tuxor
Addict

That's a nice idea. But don't we have to use the exact same Qt (4.7.3) and gcc (4.4.4) versions to build new software for our M92? If I simply set up a VM with armel debian and the Qt and gcc from the repos, won't I run into problems?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It depends on the versions of the dynamic libraries. In general, the libraries are backwards compatible for the same major version number. So, if the libraries are slightly newer on the device, the programs will still run. They won't load if they have a different major version number, or if the minor version number is smaller than what the program was built against. So, if the emulated system has QT4, but a version older than 4.7.3, then you're probably okay. If the emulated system has QT3, or a version above 4.7.3, then it won't work.

If worse comes to worst, you can start with a slightly older emulated system, and update the libraries there
that are giving trouble. It's still probably less mental effort than trying to cross-compile a package that isn't prepared for such work.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
tuxor
Addict

Well I set up a debian squeeze armel system on qemu-system-arm. But it's performance is terrible. It has a maximum of 256 MB of RAM (versatile board). That's rediculous. It's unbelievably slow and you can't honestly build something like PyQt on such a machine?! Is it even possible to get more RAM on any arm vm today?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Well I set up a debian squeeze armel system on qemu-system-arm. But it's performance is terrible. It has a maximum of 256 MB of RAM (versatile board). That's rediculous. It's unbelievably slow and you can't honestly build something like PyQt on such a machine?! Is it even possible to get more RAM on any arm vm today?
It's true that it's slow, but you only have to do it once, and you don't have to be around while it's building. As far as the RAM goes, that seems to be a limitation of qemu and the verstatilepb board. Maybe you can build another system based on a realview-pb-a8 or realview-pbx-a9 board and get 512 MB (maybe even 1024 MB), but that seems like more work and time than just waiting for your current system to finish.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
tuxor
Addict

You don't seem to have an idea of _how_ slow it really is. At the moment I'm trying to build qt embedded (with Q_WS_QWS) to prevent problems that occur when building pyside with Q_WS_X11, which is the version that comes with debian's qt4-x11.

At the moment "configure" is running. I started it half an hour ago! The actual build process might take a whole day or even longer...

Everything different from the versatile board seems to be rather hard to set up at the moment. No tutorials on the net that fit a noob like me...
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
You don't seem to have an idea of _how_ slow it really is. At the moment I'm trying to build qt embedded (with Q_WS_QWS) to prevent problems that occur when building pyside with Q_WS_X11, which is the version that comes with debian's qt4-x11.

At the moment "configure" is running. I started it half an hour ago! The actual build process might take a whole day or even longer...

Everything different from the versatile board seems to be rather hard to set up at the moment. No tutorials on the net that fit a noob like me...
I built ghostscript this way, so I _do_ have some idea of the speed. However, I almost cried in frustration when I saw what people were doing to get that software cross-compiled. Building in qemu may have been slow, but it took no effort after the development tools were added, and it finally just worked. I just went off and did something else in the meantime. The real question is, can you produce a faster system and build your software before the slow system does, and is it worth the effort if you only use it rarely? In my case, the answer was no.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #15
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I built ghostscript this way, so I _do_ have some idea of the speed. However, I almost cried in frustration when I saw what people were doing to get that software cross-compiled. Building in qemu may have been slow, but it took no effort after the development tools were added, and it finally just worked. I just went off and did something else in the meantime. The real question is, can you produce a faster system and build your software before the slow system does, and is it worth the effort if you only use it rarely? In my case, the answer was no.
One could always try and debootstrap on a SDCard to directly use the M92 (this way you'd only need chroot ported to the M92)
CPU emulation indeed is painfully slow...

P.S.: The busybox binary already supports chroot

Last edited by kodomo; 04-15-2012 at 06:43 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote