Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
slaydeuk
slaydeuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Can't download books from my PC

I have just bought a Nook Simple Touch to replace my ageing Sony Touch, mainly to get the Glowlight facility. I have a load of ebooks on my PC, bought at various times on the internet as cheap packages, but of authors I like (375 of them) and which I was able to transfer to my Sony without problem. I discover that, although I can transfer them to the Nook, it won't open them. Most of the books are in epub format. I have properly registered the Nook.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
slaydeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
May be DRM locks on the books you can't open. Do you use Calibre to add them?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaydeuk View Post
I have just bought a Nook Simple Touch to replace my ageing Sony Touch, mainly to get the Glowlight facility. I have a load of ebooks on my PC, bought at various times on the internet as cheap packages, but of authors I like (375 of them) and which I was able to transfer to my Sony without problem. I discover that, although I can transfer them to the Nook, it won't open them. Most of the books are in epub format. I have properly registered the Nook.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
If these are Adobe DRM books you need to authorize your NST with Adobe Digital Editions.
Start ADE, then connect the NST to your PC. ADE should ask you to authorize your NST.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
slaydeuk

No, I haven't used Calibre, I just dragged and dropped the files into the library on the Nook by USB connection to the PC. When I open up the library in Nook the author folders are there and all the books for each author, Nook just won't open them- says it's the wrong format. Actually, it does open one or two of the books which have been downloaded from the internet individually on occasion, rather than as a package like most of the books. I have tried using Adobe Digital Editions, but that can't recognise the files
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I haven't used Calibre, I just dragged and dropped the files into the library on the Nook by USB connection to the PC. When I open up the library in Nook the author folders are there and all the books for each author, Nook just won't open them- says it's the wrong format. Actually, it does open one or two of the books which have been downloaded from the internet individually on occasion, rather than as a package like most of the books. I have tried using Adobe Digital Editions, but that can't recognise the files
You need to authorize ADE on your PC with the same account information that you used for your Sony ereader (the Sony software creates an Adobe account).
If you created a new Adobe account (Adobe ID) when installing ADE on your PC, you will not be able to read your Sony books.
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
slaydeuk

I'm not actually using ADE for the transfer and I can't quite work out how it works. I am trying to keep things simple and dragging and dropping straight from the PC seems to get the books onto the Nook OK. The books are not Sony books and haven't been through any Sony software. The books are on my PC as transferred from the CDs I bought off the internet. They are unadulterated by any account information, Sony, ADE or Nook. I transferred these directly to my Sony by dragging and dropping and they worked fine. If I do the same with the Nook, they are all there but can't be read. Since my last posting I have downloaded a trial version of Epubor DRM removal software and tried this, but with no success. I initially tried to transfer a whole batch of files and then discovered that the trial version will only allow two files, so I may have messed up the DRM removal. I am reluctant to buy the software until I know it works. By the way, I have bought a book from Barnes and Noble, and this downloaded onto the Nook just fine. I will be grateful for any more help.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
geertm
Guru

Quote:
I'm not actually using ADE for the transfer and I can't quite work out how it works. I am trying to keep things simple and dragging and dropping straight from the PC seems to get the books onto the Nook OK. The books are not Sony books and haven't been through any Sony software. The books are on my PC as transferred from the CDs I bought off the internet. They are unadulterated by any account information, Sony, ADE or Nook. I transferred these directly to my Sony by dragging and dropping and they worked fine. If I do the same with the Nook, they are all there but can't be read. Since my last posting I have downloaded a trial version of Epubor DRM removal software and tried this, but with no success. I initially tried to transfer a whole batch of files and then discovered that the trial version will only allow two files, so I may have messed up the DRM removal. I am reluctant to buy the software until I know it works. By the way, I have bought a book from Barnes and Noble, and this downloaded onto the Nook just fine. I will be grateful for any more help.
If you bought the books from the Internet on CD's, they are probably illegal copies without DRM.

Take a look at the filenames. The only dot in the filename should be the one of the ".epub" file extension. If there is more than one dot in the filename, the Nook will not recognize the '.epub" file extension.
Also special characters like "#" in the filename can cause problems for Nook.

Are the books on the CD perhaps zipped? In that case you need to unzip them first before putting them on the Nook.

ADE should be able to read any ePub file without DRM. So it sounds like something is wrong with the files you are trying to read.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
OK. Stop, take a deep breath, and relax.

There is no reason to pay for DRM removal tools. They are open source, and released for free by the developer. Uninstall whatever it is you bought, and hope you didn't install malware on your computer.

Next, your explanations of what you did with the book files are pretty vague, and so is the description of the error message. Without more clearly explained details, it's hard to help.

Try examining the filenames, looking for anything that is not letters, numbers, and the _ symbol. Special symbols and extra dots can cause problems. The filenames should end in ".epub", and that should be the only dot in the whole filename. If the filenames don't end in ".epub", that's your problem.

Check one book, then transfer it to your Nook. Try to open it, and put the exact error message here. That will help us a lot in figuring out what the issue is.

It could be that the files are formatted in a way that the Sony recognized but the Nook did not. If the books were bought some time ago, that is more likely. Calibre can help you convert them if that is the case. Since your Nook can open some of your books and regular Nook books, I suspect it's an issue with the formatting.

Last edited by Rbneader; 02-24-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
slaydeuk

Thanks for the comments. I'm sorry to have been so vague - I don't really know what I am doing. I have been happily using my Sony for 4 years and am now plunged into confusion when I switch to another make of Reader. I expect the books have a shady history, but I bought them legally and all I want to do is read 'em, not sell 'em. As a test case for your comment if you would, I have selected one book from my backup library on the PC (all of which I have on my Sony). If I double click on it, it fires up ADE, because I had tried to install the books using ADE (and got nowhere) and I get Digital Editions window which states ''Unable to open 10 Penalty - Dick Francis.epub''. This is before I have attached the Nook to the PC. I have repeated the message exactly as it appears. Does this mean anything to you?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I'm sorry to have been so vague - I don't really know what I am doing. I have been happily using my Sony for 4 years and am now plunged into confusion when I switch to another make of Reader. I expect the books have a shady history, but I bought them legally and all I want to do is read 'em, not sell 'em. As a test case for your comment if you would, I have selected one book from my backup library on the PC (all of which I have on my Sony). If I double click on it, it fires up ADE, because I had tried to install the books using ADE (and got nowhere) and I get Digital Editions window which states ''Unable to open 10 Penalty - Dick Francis.epub''. This is before I have attached the Nook to the PC. I have repeated the message exactly as it appears. Does this mean anything to you?
Strange. If the book has no DRM, ADE should be able to open it.
One thing you could try is to install Calibre (a free download). Use Calibre to convert the file to ePub.
If the file is DRM protected then Calibre will mention this. If not, then an ePub to ePub conversion often fixes problems with corrupt files.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

I dislike ADE (don't ever use it) and DRM books, so I can't help you out, but do have a question--did you put the books into the "MyDocuments" folder where they should be and not on the main memory?

I agree with geertm, download Calibre and learn how to use that program to reconvert your epubs if nothing else works. It will recognise your Nook and you can use it to add the books you want to read.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
slaydeuk

I dragged and dropped the books into the Books folder, which is a sub-folder of My Files. Another folder under My Files is Documents. I haven't used this as the files transfer happily to Books and one or two books have opened OK, but not any off the CDs I bought on the internet. I again tried to transfer a single book to the Nook. It transferred OK, but when I tried to open it I got ''Error dialogue - Sorry, cannot open this book''.

I will have a go with Calibre and see where I get to. Thanks to all for your interest.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #13
slaydeuk

Further progress report (or lack of it): Tried Calibre - very impressive. Still is unable to convert any of the books I have tried with it to a readable form on the Nook. There seems to be something about the books taken from the CDs I bought which makes them unreadable to ADE, Calibre or Nook. They are read without any problem, however, on my Sony and they are in about four different file formats. I give up. I have about 200 unread books of my favourite authors which I can only read on the Sony. I have pretty much wasted my money on the Nook as I am not going to buy the books again individually at great cost, just to take advantage of the brighter screen on the Nook.

Thanks again for your help but, unless someone can come up with the solution (there must be one) I'll have to stick with the Sony.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
peitsao
Addict

Google Apprentice Alf--I think he can help you with your problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
slaydeuk

Finally sorted it. Seems I have been flogging a dead horse. I suddenly remembered that some time ago I had corrupted a lot of my files as I was trying to improve my hard drive configuration, which involved moving my Data partition. It all went pear shaped and I corrupted a lot of stuff. I wondered if the books I had on my HDD and was trying to transfer to the Nook, were corrupt in some way, although they seemed OK. Turns out they must have been, and when I downloaded direct from the original CD to the Nook, it worked. I'm still not impressed with the way the Nook works, and organising the books into folders/authors seems very cumbersome, but at least I've cracked the main problem.

Many thanks to everyone for their help. Sorry I wasted your time.