Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Changing Book Cover

For some of my books I've changed the cover in Calibre (e.g. I've edited the meta data and downloaded a different cover) but when I load the book on my iPad the old cover is still used. In Calibre if I select the book in the main window on the right I see the cover I've downloaded but if I open the book in the Calibre E-book Viewer I still see the old cover. Can I change the cover in the other views, if so how do I do this. BTW I need the dummies instructions.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Calibre questions belong in the Calibre forum, to where I'm moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you change the cover of a book, you need to select "Polish Books" and choose the "Update the Cover" option. The cover doesn't "stick" to the book until you do this (or do a format conversion).
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
jgt1942
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please use the forums correctly. Calibre questions belong in the Calibre forum, to where I'm moving this.
Sorry but I thought this was the Calibre forum.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
It is NOW. It was originally found in some other forum.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
jgt1942
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you change the cover of a book, you need to select "Polish Books" and choose the "Update the Cover" option. The cover doesn't "stick" to the book until you do this (or do a format conversion).
Where do I select "Polish Books"? I looked in the help file, it tells me all about Polish Books but it does not tell me how to select the option. So much for the help.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where do I select "Polish Books"? I looked in the help file, it tells me all about Polish Books but it does not tell me how to select the option. So much for the help.
You probably need to assign the Icon to a toolbar (preferences: Toolbar)

The feature was added recently. Calibre won't mess with previously assigned toolbars.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You originally posted in the "General Discussions" forum.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
writerkit
Enthusiast
writerkit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi - have you tried removing the book and adding it again before editing the metadata? This is usually the way I revise any aspect of my books, and the resulting file always embeds the new cover correctly. It's a pain, but works pretty well.
writerkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerkit View Post
Hi - have you tried removing the book and adding it again before editing the metadata? This is usually the way I revise any aspect of my books, and the resulting file always embeds the new cover correctly. It's a pain, but works pretty well.
@writerkit - no need for all that pain

A Polish Books feature was recently added to Calibre - just press 'p' on selected books.

If you want it in a toolbar you may have to add it via Preferences->Toolbars. Select a toolbar eg Main Tool bar, find the Polish book item the left hand side and move it to the right hand side. It works on EPUB and AZW3 formats

You can also use the Modify plug in to update covers & metadata, it has more features and only works EPUB format.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
Right now when I change a book cover I use the Modify epub plugin. Does using the Polish Books do the same thing?
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden View Post
Right now when I change a book cover I use the Modify epub plugin. Does using the Polish Books do the same thing?
Yep - try it,

Its a tad faster than Modify, it has no closing dialogue and it does EPUBs and AZW3s - and it can subset fonts, there's an About to see what that does.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
writerkit
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@writerkit - no need for all that pain

A Polish Books feature was recently added to Calibre - just press 'p' on selected books.
BR

Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought the original poster was an author, but I realize that s/he is trying to change a book cover of a book s/he downloaded, not one s/he authored.

(Polish doesn't work for me on ebooks I'm authoring - the new cover I'm trying to change to wouldn't be in the Calibre Library, which is where Polish seems to look for new covers. It would be in the original folder with the original XHTML file.)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerkit View Post
Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought the original poster was an author, but I realize that s/he is trying to change a book cover of a book s/he downloaded, not one s/he authored.

(Polish doesn't work for me on ebooks I'm authoring - the new cover I'm trying to change to wouldn't be in the Calibre Library, which is where Polish seems to look for new covers. It would be in the original folder with the original XHTML file.)

Why not add simply the cover to Calibre's metadata, then Polish/Modify will find the 'Current Cover' to use/ or 'add jacket'.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
writerkit
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Why not add simply the cover to Calibre's metadata, then Polish/Modify will find the 'Current Cover' to use/ or 'add jacket'.
I may be reading it wrong, but I think that's what the original poster did, and it's not working.