Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Unhappy Boox M92 with defective pixels

Hello,
I mentioned that my M92 has an strange Pixel Error:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	80809

The same picture but with inverted colors

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	80810

This 3 grey Pixels accur only when some surrounding pixels are black and some others white.
Normaly I can't see this error but sometimes small letters gets defaced a little bit.

Does an E Ink display has Pixel Fault Classes like an LCD?
Can I replace the device? I bought it from Booxtor.

Thanks
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
You'd have to ask Booxtor. Looks certainly defective to me, they don't change their state.

Question - is this a simple checkboard pattern with pixels? Looks like a good idea to use when checking the device in a store.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Question - is this a simple checkboard pattern with pixels? Looks like a good idea to use when checking the device in a store.
Yes, I like 1px chessboards for looking for dead pixels, because then dead pixels looks bigger.

If you switch on the M92 then a chessboard automatically appear while booting.
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
Hello,
I mentioned that my M92 has an strange Pixel Error:
Can I replace the device? I bought it from Booxtor.

Thanks
Hi,

as soon as the new batch of M92 has arrived (in two weeks) I will replace your device.
Thanks for positive review in the store!
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
That kind of customer service gets my vote. My DR800S's screen died completely a few days ago and I was looking for a replacement.

Hope you ordered a lot of them :)
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

as soon as the new batch of M92 has arrived (in two weeks) I will replace your device.
Thanks for positive review in the store!
Too bad you are not in North America, I will buy from you in an instant. That's exemplary customer service
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
I have the same problem (also bought from booxtor); I wonder how frequent it is.
Here are pictures of my dead pixel (the first is a bit off focus; the checkerboard is 2x2 pixels, so the dead spot is rather large)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1.png
Views:	402
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	80857  
Attached Images

Last edited by psv; 01-06-2012 at 03:26 PM.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here is the dead spot with 1px checkerboard
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
can either of you give us a pic of the whole display indicating where the dead pixels are?

damn i wish i was going to CES this year...

we should check with Nate the Great and give him the pics and see if he can run down an Eink rep....
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
psv
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
can either of you give us a pic of the whole display indicating where the dead pixels are?
here it is (sorry for blurred picture)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fault.png
Views:	564
Size:	600.4 KB
ID:	80878  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
here it is (sorry for blurred picture)
This could be connected with the magnetic fields from the speaker, as I heard of about the previous M-models.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
That would be horrible, it would be ridiculous to fix one problem and create another...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
That was a whole different problem, with the digitizer, not the screen itself.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
eink is not effected by magnetic fields from simple speaker magnets. it would take a much more powerful magnetic field to interrupt the refresh of the pixels
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
It's still suspiciously close to the speaker on the backside.

@medvedev: Can you please post an image like psv from your whole display?
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote