Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iOS 5.0.1 Update now live

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/i...download/16143

First OTA update from Apple-worked with no issues here, even though I ignored their "plug device into power supply first" warning, since I had a full battery.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Nice. My wife was jealous of the multitasking gestures for the iPad 2. Now she has them. I use them a lot.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Nice. My wife was jealous of the multitasking gestures for the iPad 2. Now she has them. I use them a lot.
That was bizarre that they left them out initially for the first iPad, considering they were in the 4.0 beta, and from most accounts worked well. I use them as well-very natural.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That was bizarre that they left them out initially for the first iPad, considering they were in the 4.0 beta, and from most accounts worked well. I use them as well-very natural.
To be fair towards Apple, there were a few minor issues with the multi-touch gestures in 4.x that have only been resolved with 5.0.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
To be fair towards Apple, there were a few minor issues with the multi-touch gestures in 4.x that have only been resolved with 5.0.
True, I also remember some issues in regards to 3rd party apps using the same gestures; wonder if that ever got sorted out.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I will be upgrading to IOS5 in the next week or so. Can the early adopters tell me if its stable yet? There were some early bugs...
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
kjk

No real issues here.

I didn't see the battery issues reported for 5.0, but I understand 5.0.1 has addressed if for some users.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I will be upgrading to IOS5 in the next week or so. Can the early adopters tell me if its stable yet? There were some early bugs...
I haven't noticed any problems on my iPod touch 4, so I guess it's working.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I finally updated, since Stanza had been updated and funny enough, Amazon broke it on 4.3. (This didn't happen to any other apps I use... really, Amazon?) but I am glad I updated to 5.0.1. It is nice and snappy and that I appreciate most of all, and the new texting options where a new text comes up at the top of the screen when you're doing something else, rather than interrupting you, is awesome (if this feature came in before, excuse me! But this is the first time i'd seen it).
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
kjk

Actually stonetools, you might want to hold off

http://thestartupfoundry.com/2011/11...the-iphone-4s/

Quote:
I updated my iPhone 4S earlier today (using the OTA method), and I discovered a nasty bug. My iPhone could no longer remember the names of any of my contacts! I opened up the contacts app on my phone and discovered that all of entries were still there but if I got a text or a call my iPhone would have a sudden bout of amnesia and forget the contacts name.
I don't see it, but he is using a Verizon phone. AddressBook screwups would really suck, especially since Siri really depends on it.

Also:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24365..._problems.html

Quote:
But now Apple is facing new gripes that the iOS 5.0.1 update is causing more problems with the iPhone 4S including; microphone failures, Wi-Fi signal loss, and cellular network reception issues, according to reports.
Apple also updated their wifi router software a couple days ago, I wonder if that is contributing to the wi-fi issues.

Last edited by kjk; 11-11-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
The one annoying this about updates is how apple don't let you downgrade about a week or so after a new release. Usually not a problem but if you hit a major bug, it's a real pita.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
The one annoying this about updates is how apple don't let you downgrade about a week or so after a new release. Usually not a problem but if you hit a major bug, it's a real pita.
That would be nice. I haven't upgraded my 3GS yet. Still on 4.3.5

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Installed the 5.0.1 upgrade last night. No problems with the upgrade, but unfortunately it's made no difference to the annoying keyboard lag in Safari that 5.0 introduced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I upgraded to 5.0 a couple of weeks ago and got the 5.0.1 upgrade through wifi while away from home, which I thought was pretty neat. No problem with either of the upgrades on iPad 2. I tested the message app with my mother and it worked great. We also had fun with FaceTime, though I don't think it's a new feature, but I had never used it before. We called my sister in Miami and showed my nephew the fire in our (well, my parents') chimney. He doesn't see a lot of that in Florida, and he liked it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I fired up iTunes with my iPad attached. It ask me to upgrade iTunes and I said ok. Later it ask me to upgrade my iPad and I said ok. Evidently this was the wrong answer if iTunes isn't done upgrading as it crashed my iPad completely and I had to restore in and then upgrade. I had to reinstall all my apps and data. What a pain and hours of waiting. My so called local backup wouldn't work. Finally everything seems to be running now but I still have a few eBooks to chase down. Apple seems to not be robust for things it did not anticipate.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote