Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
sigil crashes?

I'm running win xp pro with service pack 3, and Sigil. (0.3.4 QT 4.7.0) often crashes for no apparent reason (sometimes when I'm working on a large file, but sometimes with a very small one. When it crashes, a notice comes up that Sigil must close, and then it closes - usually without a chance to save what I've been working on. I thought perhaps my win xp had become corrupted so I did a full upgrade with my system disk but that didn't help. Next, I uninstalled Sigil and reinstalled it. Problem still persists...

What else could I try to eliminate the Sigil crashes?
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I'm running win xp pro with service pack 3, and Sigil. (0.3.4 QT 4.7.0) often crashes for no apparent reason (sometimes when I'm working on a large file, but sometimes with a very small one. When it crashes, a notice comes up that Sigil must close, and then it closes - usually without a chance to save what I've been working on. I thought perhaps my win xp had become corrupted so I did a full upgrade with my system disk but that didn't help. Next, I uninstalled Sigil and reinstalled it. Problem still persists...

What else could I try to eliminate the Sigil crashes?
Reporting the OS and version is a good first step.

What were you doing (in Sigil ) just before the crash?
Search and Replace over many tabs? Cut and Paste? Book View or Code View? Just
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I can remember, the only common feature is that usually I'm in code view. Sometimes I'm not actually doing anything in Sigil, but am using Windows explorer or some other program such as MS Word, and a message appears that Sigil is closing.

I ran Spyware Doctor, Hitmap Pro, and have Norton IS, and none detected a virus or malware.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I haven't had reports of random crashes in many months now. That doesn't mean that they're impossible, just that if they're possible, they're very rare.

The thing that confuses me the most is that you say it can crash while you're doing something else on your computer. This makes me think this is not a Sigil issue since Sigil doesn't do anything "in the background" when you're not interacting with it.

Are any other programs randomly crashing on your computer? If so, you could have some bad RAM on your machine.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The only time I see something like this is when the file is open in Sigil and elsewhere, such as in my case, the Sony Reader Library. It doesn't say the file is use elsewhere, but it probably should. It is a work in progress, so I assume that will happen in due course. It seems like there might be a problem occasionally manipulating images.

But these do NOT happen in the background, it happens while you are using Sigil. Is the Dr. Watson program of any use in this case?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The only time I see something like this is when the file is open in Sigil and elsewhere, such as in my case, the Sony Reader Library. It doesn't say the file is use elsewhere, but it probably should. It is a work in progress, so I assume that will happen in due course.
This particular issue will be fixed in the next version of Sigil. It's actually fixed already in my personal repos.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
bobcdy
Fanatic

Valloric,
Nothing else crashes and I use some fairly heavy memory programs such as Photoshop cs3. Most of the crashes occur when I'm using Sigil, but sometimes not. I'll tinker with Win xp and check more for malware, and try to keep track of exactly when the crashes occur and what programs I'm using when that occurs.
Bob
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One possibility that occurs to me is a .dll version conflict. Something else is using the same .dll but wants a different version. You might try loading programs in a different order and see if it makes it better or worse. As I understand it, the first one loaded is the one used, no matter how many times it is called for by which program, so you would need to restart each time you want to test.

If you are one of those who never restarts his computer, you might try restarting daily and see if that helps.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote