Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
joc3721
joc3721 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Upgrade Question

To e-reader and sony experts: i have a 505 that I've used for the past few years. Basically, I'm pretty happy with it. Are any of the newer models a significant upgrade? 950? 650?
Wi-fi is not that important to me. Touchscreen might be nice. What would really be a plus for me would be more clarity of the text (not that the 505 is bad) and a bigger screen.
Have things progressed that much in the last 2-3 years that upgrading is worth it?
Thanks
joc3721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have a 505 -- the 650 is a major improvement. It's much lighter, and the display is noticeably better (from "good" to "excellent").
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I would say "yes". Things have progressed that much. I upgraded my 505 to a 650, and haven't picked up my old one since. The screen is clearer, the speed is much much faster, and there is virtually no library scan lag. The touchscreen does take a little getting used to, especially coming from a 505. (Bookmarking is a bit of a pain with no dedicated bookmark button). All in all, I certainly reccomend the 650 over the 505.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Either the 350 or the 650 is a significant upgrade over the 505. If you don't use SD cards and appreciate a compact size and very low weight, take a look at the 350 as well. You might just like it better and save $50 in the process.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
(Bookmarking is a bit of a pain with no dedicated bookmark button).
To bookmark with the touchscreen, using either the stylus or your finger, double tap the upper right corner of the page and it will automatically create a bookmark.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
To bookmark with the touchscreen, using either the stylus or your finger, double tap the upper right corner of the page and it will automatically create a bookmark.
Yeah, but I liked the button. I don't use the swipe for page turns, and I get (easily) irritated when I have to pull out the stylus to bookmark.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan
Labrat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light, Kobo Minis
I went from the 300 and 600 to the 350 and 650 for the clarity of the e-ink display and the font sizing. I found the touch screen on the 600 compromised the contrast in the display. The 350 and 650 have excellent contrast, like the 505.

I also like the selection of font sizes in the 350 and 650 (the 600 had it too) over the 3 sizes in the 505.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree that the new models are a big enough leap from the 505 to be worthy of an upgrade. I really like the touchscreen and the ability to swipe to turn pages. My favorite features of my 900 compared to my 505 are the built-in dictionary and the cover image display. Some people think the 7" screen has a funny aspect ratio (and I did too before I got one), but I really enjoy the extra length and more words on the screen. PDF viewing is better with the newer models too. I also like that I have the ability to crop margins, and the new models also have the ability to vary contrast. Lastly, I have to use an SD card to organize my book collection on the 505. Happily the device memory of the new models is so large that I don't need the SD card. Indexing of the books is also faster than my 505 (although still not as speedy as I'd wish).

If you are interested in the 950, in addition to the Sony store access, it will also have a web browser to give you access to Wikipedia, google and other sites. I was always envious that the Kindle has wikipedia integration, even though I usually have my phone nearby and can look info up quickly anyway.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
joc3721
joc3721 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I will either do the 350 (don't need SD card on 650) or wait for the 950, mainly for the larger screen size.
Sounds like the consensus is the 505 has been significantly bested in the Sony line.
joc3721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by joc3721 View Post
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I will either do the 350 (don't need SD card on 650) or wait for the 950, mainly for the larger screen size.
Sounds like the consensus is the 505 has been significantly bested in the Sony line.

You might want to do an instore comparison, first.

I compared my 505 to the Kindle 3 screen (another Pearl screen like the 650), and I wasn't that impressed.

Haven't seen a 350 or 650 'live' yet (I live in a small town, alas) but unless the screen is *much* better, I'll live with my 505 awhile longer.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote