Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
lyceum
lyceum began at the beginning.

Device: irex 1000s
Thumbs down Power on defect / Only reset

My irex 1000s is working normally (1.71 as well as 2.0 rc3). But startup is only possible by reset. Pressing the normal startup button results in blinking leds but in no display operation. It seems like the device is starting up normally but just without a working display. Is there some "full reset" (how do I perform this) or some other way to solve this problem?

Last edited by lyceum; 10-02-2010 at 11:01 AM.
lyceum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, lyceum

Perhaps, once your problems are sorted out, you'd like to use the "introduce yourself" link below?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyceum View Post
My irex 1000s is working normally (1.71 as well as 2.0 rc3). But startup is only possible by reset. Pressing the normal startup button results in blinking leds but in no display operation. It seems like the device is starting up normally but just without a working display. Is there some "full reset" (how do I perform this) or some other way to solve this problem?
There are at least two different resets, although I am not sure what the difference is. The normal reset is just pressing the reset button as you are already doing to power up. Apparently, there is also a more extensive reset by holding the reset button for some time. However, I have seen different durations mentioned in the forums, the shortest being 5 seconds and the longest being 30 seconds (which sound awfully long for doing a reset). I think one of the developers (Gert-Jan perhaps) mentioned something like 5 seconds not too far back, but I don't remember any details.

I suggest holding the reset button for over 5 seconds. If that doesn't solve the issue, you might try longer (until over 30 seconds). If that doesn't work, I am out of ideas.

Good luck,
Mark
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
If that doesn't work, I am out of ideas.
You could try holding it for over a minute next..

Something in the back of my mind also says it's just five seconds. People tend to make that in to three or four though, if you tell them "hold it for five seconds", so I guess that's where the longer advices might come from.

However, lyceum, you seem to imply that not even a firmware flash helped? In that case I'm not too confident this will either, but well, it's worth a try of course.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
lyceum
lyceum began at the beginning.

Device: irex 1000s
thank you all for your advice.

more or less I actually had the same information about reset. But it does not work! So I thought there is a special trick I didin't yet try to hold the reset button for more than a minute, but definitely longer than 30 seconds. And in any case, it's not easy to safely hold the button as long.

As nothing seems to help, I obviously have to live with this defect. But I am still wondering wether nobody else has encountered the same problem.
lyceum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Lyceum,
This feels similar to a problem I had before. The device initially did not boot, with leds on the right staying on, and the one on the top blinking red.
It worked some days, and did not in others, but finally it got stuck in this state. I've send it to Irex where they replaced the board.
I hope yours is not the case. Is it possible to get paid repairs etc from Irex at the moment, especially with the recent changes/troubles they've gone through?
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Lord Thomas
Lord Thomas began at the beginning.

Device: DR-1000
I experience the same problem as Lyceum, though after starting by means of a reset, the bottom sensor still doesn't work. That is why I think the sensor might be broken. However the weird thing is that after a charge, the sensor sometimes works again, in which case I can also start up in the normal way.

It would help if you could assign the functionallity of the bottom sensor to one of the side sensors, however I have never heard of this option.

I have experienced the problem in both 1.6.5 as well as in 1.7.1. I have not (yet) intalled 2.0. I was planning to install this once the final version would be available (which might never happen now).
Lord Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, reset