Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Printing to Irex Digital Reader

I was wondering if there is an option to really print to the Digital Reader in a streamlined way..

The problem is that right now, I have to :

1. attach the device via USB
2. choose 'Connect to PC'
3. Print the document
4. remove USB connection
5. Pick the right folder
6. Open the document

This isn't really fast and requires a lot of action from the user.

Is there some way to make it really easy for example:

1. attach the device via USB
2. print the document
3. document is on screen so you can detach the devivce from USB and directly start readying the printed document

So basicly the device should automaticly watch a folder for new pdf files and directly open them when a new file is found.

And on connection a USB cable the Reader should automaticly answer the question with yes (or make this a setting in the configuration of the device)

And 3th the device should make it posible to show files when connected to USB.

Anybody know if there are such posibilities ? tools that makes this kind of things happening ?
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
"Print to the DR?" I don't think so because it isn't a printer. You could for example download CutePDF, print to that, and save that file to your DR. Other than that, I'm really not sure what you're looking for.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonieb View Post
So basicly the device should automaticly watch a folder for new pdf files and directly open them when a new file is found.
That's a good idea if you're only dealing with one or two files at a time. I don't think somebody who uploads a bunch of stuff at once will want them to automatically open. Maybe an option to only open the most recent, not all new files?

Quote:
And on connection a USB cable the Reader should automaticly answer the question with yes (or make this a setting in the configuration of the device)
I think it used to do this, but they changed it because some people didn't like the default being yes. Making the default a config setting is a good idea, that way you wouldn't have to select it every time, but still have the flexibility of one or the other.

Quote:
And 3th the device should make it posible to show files when connected to USB.
The catch with this is that you need to be careful about file corruption. You wouldn't want to modify a file from the DR and the PC at the same time, or delete a file from the PC that you had open on the DR... etc. The iLiad used to allow this, but it got changed at some point because it was causing too many problems. Now it's basically access to files from one or the other, but not both at the same time.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
"Print to the DR?" I don't think so because it isn't a printer. You could for example download CutePDF, print to that, and save that file to your DR.
That's essentially what it does. It's a feature that lets you take an open document on your PC and click on "print", which then automatically converts it to a PDF and then transfers it to the DR. Basically just a shortcut for doing the same thing you suggested.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I'am already printing to the device.. thats a default function of the DR...

Sure a PDF Writer application is doing the PDF conversion etc etc.. but from a usage point of view you are printing to the DR

And I already have it configurated to auto safe it in a folder on the DR named 'prints' so it is already working pretty nice. When I want to read something on the DR all I have to do is print the document on the right printer named 'Irex DR1000s'

But that was not the point of my question / post.

It is more about all the steps I have to walk through before reading a printed document on my reader. In my opinion that should be made a lot easier te become really handy

Last edited by Antonieb; 10-27-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert