Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
EasyAs123
Love to Read
EasyAs123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition (gift), Sony PRS-T1, Nook HD+ 32GB
Sources for children's ebooks

I'm new to the ebook scene having received a gift of a Sony PRS-300 reader a few months ago. My 9 year old son is fascinated by it. He wants me to find books for him but I haven't had much success. He really likes "Chasing Vermeer" and would like to read more by Blue Balliett. He's not a strong reader so anything I can do to encourage him is great. Any suggestions that you might have on where I can find ebooks for him would be greatly appreciated.

I am a member of the Philly Free Library and haven't found much there for him. Audio yes, but not ebook.

Thanks
EasyAs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Check out Project Gutenberg. They have a remarkable number of juvenile classics. I'm not much use for recommendations -- I've been a bookworm since I was 4, and I was reading teen and adult books by the time I was 9 (I think that was about the age when I was obsessed with Sherlock Holmes), but I'm sure someone else around here can provide some suggestions. ManyBooks and Feedbooks have much of the same content (they get a lot of it from PG) but often much better descriptions.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
You can check here at Mobileread for children's books too. Click ebooks at the top, then browse latest uploads. Then you can change the genre to Children. These are made by Mobileread members and many of them are illustrated.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
You can check here at Mobileread for children's books too. Click ebooks at the top, then browse latest uploads. Then you can change the genre to Children. These are made by Mobileread members and many of them are illustrated.
The ebooks on MobileRead are, hands down, the best-formatted ebooks on the Web. I don't think I've ever found a typo or other sign of bad OCR in one, which is more than I can say for pretty much every ebook (and more than a few pbooks) I've ever paid money for.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I think getting the illustrated version of an old favorite is such a treat. I'm in the process of making three E. Nesbit stories into ebooks, and it's really rewarding and fun, though my husband thinks I've lost my mind.

Even the Mobileread ebook versions of many classics for adults are illustrated, and free, which is more than can be said for paperbacks in the stores.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Children's books are good, but he should be able to handle some other things. The newspapers of the world are actually aimed at the reading skill level, and intelligence, of a typical 8 year old. Let your son read newspaper articles you have screened on the ereader. Avoid the 'Congressman Caught In Love Nest' stories, and focus on 'human interest' bits...Sunday Supplement travel articles, recipes, 'public appearance tour by celebrities' coverage, and such. Let your son read about his favorite comedian's recent appearance at a local Comedy In the Park fest, Let him read about the 40+ varieties of Kangaroos in Australia. Find magazines about: Go Karting, Magic Tricks, etc, and let your son read articles from them on the Sony.

Get a copy of 'Aesops' Fables', and let him read those. Most are a paragraph, or two, long, and contain simple words. Get copies of poetry books. Nice, short, simple, rhymes give kids incentive. Newspaper comics-FootRot Flats, Tumbleweeds, etc-would be good, too. They are short, easy to read, funny, and fun. Screen them to avoids social/political content you'd rather not have to explain.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Take a look at the Enid Blyton books on this page. They're mostly in text, but can be easily formatted for your screen size in Word, or any other word processor.

http://www.vb-tech.co.za/ebooks.htm

If your ereader supports LRF, which it should do, Aesop's Fables is in the MobileRead library; but there's no epub version.

Last edited by BookCat; 08-10-2010 at 03:53 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
My first childrens ebook was the Beatrix Potter collection. The pictures are wonderful. I don't remember where I got it from. I have 2 free books via ibooks store, Winnie the Pooh and Little Miss Mary Big Monster Makeover. I have Dr Seuss Green Eggs and Ham, 1 Fish 2 Fish, Grinch and am waiting for Go Dog Go from the AppStore. One of the best features of an iPad is the ability to see color pictures. My niece is only 6.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote