Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
duskdawns
Enthusiast
duskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar FREE at Sony and Simon & Schuster

Here's another freebie available outside of Amazon...

Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success

More info about this book can be found at the publisher's site:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/9781439109083

For the ePub version: *Viewing permitted for 14 days only*

http://www.simonandschuster.com/give...caneer-scholar

For the Sony version:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mar...er%20Scholar_1

Last edited by duskdawns; 07-15-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: 2-week time limit to read ePUB
duskdawns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
How we love our freebie time! Thanks for the info.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
duskdawns
Enthusiast
duskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-books

When someone else downloads the PDF version, would you please report back whether there is a 2-week time limit on the ebook?

I'm not sure if my Adobe Digital Editions messed up somehow, or if Simon & Schuster imposed a 14-day viewing restriction.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I think you can download the Sony elibrary to your computer. You don't need to have the Sony Reader to do this. Then you could have all the free Sony ebooks..
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Also on Kindle

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50830
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I went to post this, then saw you had already posted it. Yippee! I love my freebies!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the info ! the one available directly on the simon and schuster site is actually an epub file, not a pdf. good news !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Has anybody read it? Is it fiction or non-fic?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

from the description on the website it looks like non-fiction, but i've not read it. they do have a summary of the book at simon and schuster which gives a good idea what it's about.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns View Post
When someone else downloads the PDF version, would you please report back whether there is a 2-week time limit on the ebook?

I'm not sure if my Adobe Digital Editions messed up somehow, or if Simon & Schuster imposed a 14-day viewing restriction.

Thanks!
It's an EPUB, not a PDF, but yeah mine says 14 days as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Poo - I read the title and thought it was a book about William Dampier.

Now there's a REAL buccaneer-scholar.

I already read A Pirate of Exquisite Mind - which I highly recommend, it's quite an eye-opener (and really fun, too).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Poo - I read the title and thought it was a book about William Dampier.

Now there's a REAL buccaneer-scholar.

I already read A Pirate of Exquisite Mind - which I highly recommend, it's quite an eye-opener (and really fun, too).
that looks really interesting, adding it to my list !
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
duskdawns
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I think you can download the Sony elibrary to your computer. You don't need to have the Sony Reader to do this. Then you could have all the free Sony ebooks..
This is a good suggestion. I've already done this...now if only the Amazon freebies would be available to those without a Kindle...

Zelda Pinwheel and Anemic Oak, thanks for pointing out that the file is actually ePub and not PDF. I just assumed it was PDF since that's what the publishers have always given away until now, and also because Adobe DE opened up the ebook automatically and I did not look at the file extension.

I agree that the switch to ePub is a good thing; however, the limited time to read/access the file is not. My public library lends e-books for 3 week periods, which is longer than what this is available for, not to mention that I can read the ebooks when it is convenient for me rather than right away, which may not fit in my schedule. Plus I can re-check out the library ebook when they expire, but this is no longer accessible later. Since the Amazon and Sony versions are real free ebook giveaways, shouldn't the Simon & Schuster one be too? I hope this is a one-time aberration on the publisher's part, and not a long-term trend wherein the publisher "lends" you an ebook.

I have not yet read the book, but it is non-fiction, something about achieving success in life without having a formal education. From the brief bio, it seems that the author is a high school dropout.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I complained to them about the time limit - it was done on purpose and they said they would be changing the web site to show that it is a "sneak peek" version of the book (easier to read than on the PC, if your reader does epub, I guess, but I'll skip them from now on).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns View Post
This is a good suggestion. I've already done this...now if only the Amazon freebies would be available to those without a Kindle...
heh... we can dream, right ?

Quote:
Zelda Pinwheel and Anemic Oak, thanks for pointing out that the file is actually ePub and not PDF. I just assumed it was PDF since that's what the publishers have always given away until now, and also because Adobe DE opened up the ebook automatically and I did not look at the file extension.
no worries. i can understand why you'd expect to get a pdf from a publisher.

Quote:
I agree that the switch to ePub is a good thing; however, the limited time to read/access the file is not. My public library lends e-books for 3 week periods, which is longer than what this is available for, not to mention that I can read the ebooks when it is convenient for me rather than right away, which may not fit in my schedule. Plus I can re-check out the library ebook when they expire, but this is no longer accessible later. Since the Amazon and Sony versions are real free ebook giveaways, shouldn't the Simon & Schuster one be too? I hope this is a one-time aberration on the publisher's part, and not a long-term trend wherein the publisher "lends" you an ebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I complained to them about the time limit - it was done on purpose and they said they would be changing the web site to show that it is a "sneak peek" version of the book (easier to read than on the PC, if your reader does epub, I guess, but I'll skip them from now on).
this "free BUT only for 2 weeks" thing is pretty ridiculous. either give away the book, or don't give away the book, but the "right hand giveth and the left hand taketh away" game is going to get old really fast. and if the other versions are not time-limited, as duskdawn suggests (i haven't checked) it's even more egregious. perhaps we should *all* write to the publisher to complain (politely ! but firmly) about that.