Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Covers in ePub files generated by Calibre

Hi,

So I have tried and tried everything I could think of... no chance. Calibre 114 on Windows: when I convert my Mobi files into an ePub, I can't get the custom cover to show up when I open the ePub in the Calibre viewer or in Adobe DE.

No problem at all with lrf files, so I am pretty sure I use the correct method.

No, I did not forget to tick off "use cover from source file". I tried convert, I tried all the variants of "save to disk"... no way.

Reading some previous posts, this seems to have been taken care of though.

Any clue
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me. Open a ticket and attach your file.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
daviddem
Connoisseur

The problem happens with all my mobi files, whether de-DRMed or not. Also, the first page of the ePub is always blank, then comes the cover from the original mobi instead of the custom one.

I will do a few more experiments (trying to convert from other formats to ePub), then I will do the ticket.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have your profile set to None in the epub conversion dialog? Set it to prs505 (there's a bug with covers when profile is set to prs505
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
daviddem
Connoisseur

I tried with the profile set to None, or to prs505, same results. I also tried to convert from fb2 and from html (ZIP), and still the same: no cover and first page is blank.

Shall I write a ticket? What sounds strange is that you are saying that it works for you. Are you using the Windows version?
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It works for me in the linux version. Yes open a ticket and attach one example file demonstrating the problem.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
daviddem
Connoisseur

OK, you're right. I made a mistake. If the page setup profile is set to pr-505, it works fine. If it is set to none, then the problem is as described.

I already submitted the ticket. If this is a known bug, would you like me to set the ticket as resolved?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Blank First Page in ePub, hoping for inside cover

In search for an answer I came across this thread. I too have a blank page as my first page in my ePub from Calibre. What I really desire is what I see in other ePub's and that is the cover page, like I have in the Library.

I have an IPod Touch. I was wondering how I can get rid of the blank page and instead have the cover page.

I hope it is something simple.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In the EPUB output section of the conversions ettings settings check "No SVG cover"
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Almost there, so close I can taste the excitement in the air

First, thank you for responding. This indeed a great service to everyone.

First, I turned off "No Default Cover." I also wanted my first page to be the cover page again, so I added that to my original file.

The results are interesting.

My PRC file looks fine and exactly what I desire in the Calibre viewer.

The ePub, however, it's first page is still blank, the second page is my 'cover' and now my third page lost my chapter heading format. {Basically it was just a bigger type font.}

So converting the PRC to ePub is where these two changes took place. Gained a blank page as my first page, and lost my formatting on my first chapter.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

after you turn off that setting, reconvert the file to epub with that setting turned off (check in the conversion settings of the individual conversion) and resend the epub to yuor iphone
Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Themus
Zealot

Success! I really appreciate it

I 'think' my problem was I had the option no cover checked vs. no svg cover. Don't know how I missed that. I re-created it as you suggest and it looks great.

I am so excited. As I mentioned I have a new Itouch, but haven't put a single song on it yet I've been so focused on this project.

Special thanks to you for contributing so much in this work. I am putting on my list of things to do, to make a donation.

This is cool!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Themus
Zealot

Speaking of Covers, is there an ideal cover size jpeg?

I've noticed on MobiCreator it says at times the cover is too small. So I actually scanned a cover and it appears now it is cut off from the bottom.

Is there an ideal pixel or inch size covers should be when bringing into MobiCreator and then transferring them to Calibre?

IE., 2 x 3 or 200 pixels by 300 pixels. I am bringing this in over to my Itouch.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
cwallace
cwallace began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How do you keep the cover image from stretching?

I've used Calibre to create my epub file and everything is looking great except the cover image is stretched vertically. Is there a way to keep this from happening? The other images in the book (it's a children's picture book) all look OK and are not stretched.
cwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace View Post
I've used Calibre to create my epub file and everything is looking great except the cover image is stretched vertically. Is there a way to keep this from happening? The other images in the book (it's a children's picture book) all look OK and are not stretched.
When you convert to EPUB, there is a box on the Convert - EPUB Output page called Preserve cover aspect ratio. Try checking that to see if you like the cover better.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote