Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Which paper books would you like to have as ebooks.

Has the ttle says which books would you like to see as Ebooks.

Three titles from my childhood spring to mind.

The Space Mavericks - Michael Kring (cheesy but when your young i loved that, would have loved to have seen the series finished)
White Wing - Gordon Kendall
The Deepwater series - Ken Catran.

i could go on all day but those stand out for me.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Everything I have in my personal library. I know it won't happen. I have been collecting and rereading my books since the 1960's. I have thousands and most will never make it into ebook format. To many are obscure authors and titles that no one will want to republish. The majority are Science Fiction, Mystery and Western.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Everything I have in my personal library. I know it won't happen. I have been collecting and rereading my books since the 1960's. I have thousands and most will never make it into ebook format. To many are obscure authors and titles that no one will want to republish. The majority are Science Fiction, Mystery and Western.
Apache
This, exactly.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Almost nothing. I don't reread. Hitchhiker's would probably get a re-read and would be nice to have around in a pinch. But since when do I not have thousands of other books I want to read that I haven't read already?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Almost nothing. I don't reread. Hitchhiker's would probably get a re-read and would be nice to have around in a pinch. But since when do I not have thousands of other books I want to read that I haven't read already?
Some truth in that for me as well, but I will also say that I've (of late) been re-reading a few of my favorites and would love to have them available as ebooks....

Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I've mentioned before Sir Winston Churchill's multi-volume, heavy, out of print, hard-to-find in public libraries, history of World War I, the World Crisis -- which I've read is better than his outstanding World War II history.

Justificaton for this post : A fresh search shows World Crisis volume 1 became available, this year, as an uncorrected Canadian optical character recognition scan, at archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/worldcrisis00chur

I think it's still under copyright in the US, and thus should only be downloaded by Americans (and Europeans?) when visiting Canada. But -- let's call it fair use -- I just peaked in a few spots, and find the volume of OCR errors is fewer than the norm. To me, it's readable.

However, if I understand Canadian copyright law correctly (highly questionable), they cannot upload any subsequent volumes, as they were published after 1923, and the Copyright Act of Canada came into effect in 1924.

In just over three years, all Churchill's works go into public domain in Canada, but I expect it will take years after that for volunteer proofreaders to fix the scan errors.

Yes, I am aware this post makes current copyright law look absurd
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
The Saint series by Leslie Charteris.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I dont care about existing books but going forward I think the paper book should be phased out.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I don't think paper books should be phased out at all. A lot of people can't afford fancy e-readers or have credit cards to buy the e-books, or even money to buy the e-books. What would happen to public libraries then, if paper books were gone?
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I don't think paper books should be phased out at all. A lot of people can't afford fancy e-readers or have credit cards to buy the e-books, or even money to buy the e-books. What would happen to public libraries then, if paper books were gone?
Libraries would loan ebooks as they do now. And be much more efficient about it.

an ereader can be had for the cost of a couple of hardback books.

gift cards work great for those without a credit card.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Patricia Veryan's historical romances, particularly Mistress of Willowvale, but all her Sanguinet saga books too.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Libraries would loan ebooks as they do now. And be much more efficient about it.

an ereader can be had for the cost of a couple of hardback books.

gift cards work great for those without a credit card.
True. But you know there are those evil publishers don't want libraries around. I use gift cards myself. lol

Still, I think paper books should stick around for those that still wish to read them.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
kennyc

Oh I love paper books as well, there are trade-offs to both e and p
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I have a series of books I read as a kid that were the same way alanHD, the Symon Jade series "Starship Orpheus". They were indeed cheesy, space opera type books that I enjoyed back then. I still have the paperbacks, but would love to see it in ebook format. Alas, I highly doubt it will ever happen, but who knows. I do know that Symon Jade it the name used by a ghost writer, but I forgot where I read that at and don't remember the authors real name.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
All of Margery Sharp, Elizabeth Goudge (esp. Linnets and Valerians), National Velvet, and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote