Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Fed up with the bugs not fed up!
Fed up with the bugs! 30 32.97%
Neutral no opinion or no comment 21 23.08%
Not fed up it works great for all things! 40 43.96%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Fed up with the bugs!

Guys Just wondering who are actually fed up with what seems to be an ongoing theme with Kobo's Programmers who seem to be really good at featuring bugs rather then the new Features in the release of firmware.

Don't hold back let it rip lets see how people are really feeling.

regards
JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Fed up here too. I was staying with 2.5.1 because of bugs and changes, and recently went back to 2.4.0 which solved the major problem with sending books through Calibre to the reader for me. I may never update the firmware again.

And it's really a shame, the hardware on the Glo is absolutely superb. They just need to get their act together for the software now. If they do the firmware right the first time, they don't need to keep changing it every month or two.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jack, you bought a Glo then later, after a great deal of experience with it and with Kobo, you bought an Aura. I'd be curious to know why you haven't changed to another device manufacturer.

I would choose a fourth alternative, something like "I'm not fed up, but I really wish the FW was less buggy".
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I can understand still buying another one. With the different size, you would hope Kobo would have learned from mistakes on the previous readers and get the software right on the AuraHD. I was semi-tempted to try the new 6" Aura when it's available thinking it has to be an improvement on the bugs that the Glo has. But then I realized it probably would have the newest look to the firmware, which I really dislike (someone else on the forums said it right when he said it looked like a kid was trying to play with blocks and failed miserably). And being so new, I wouldn't have older firmware to downgrade to like I did with the Glo, so I'm avoiding the new Aura.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I probably shouldn't post on this topic since I've only had one Kobo and that for just 4 months, but frankly, I haven't found any bugs. My Aura HD has quirks but every one of the 11 eReaders I've owned has had quirks or problems of one kind or another.

BTW paper books do too: the type face is too small or just ugly, the line spacing is too narrow, the paper is to stiff or there are coffee stains on it or the pages are crinkled because it rained on the way home... Yes, some of these can be traced to user errors. Same thing.

I even like Kobo Customer Service.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Bugs? What bugs?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I probably shouldn't post on this topic since I've only had one Kobo and that for just 4 months, but frankly, I haven't found any bugs. My Aura HD has quirks but every one of the 11 eReaders I've owned has had quirks or problems of one kind or another.

BTW paper books do too: the type face is too small or just ugly, the line spacing is too narrow, the paper is to stiff or there are coffee stains on it or the pages are crinkled because it rained on the way home... Yes, some of these can be traced to user errors. Same thing.

I even like Kobo Customer Service.
Except for the fact that kobo introduces newer bugs for everyone they fix
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Jack, you bought a Glo then later, after a great deal of experience with it and with Kobo, you bought an Aura. I'd be curious to know why you haven't changed to another device manufacturer.

I would choose a fourth alternative, something like "I'm not fed up, but I really wish the FW was less buggy".
Because. First its Canadian. Second they make the best hardware hands down IMHO

Regards

Jack
Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
No opinion, because while I certainly would prefer no bugs, I don't think they're a particular problem as such. There's a couple of long-standing difficult ones and there's a couple minor ones, introduced with each release, but overall it's relatively good.

If I asked for improvement it would be in UI development department (seems to be done by programmers which is always a bad idea), and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Kobo's Programmers
Given how slow things go, I'd suspect that's actually one or two people (or more but not doing firmware full time).
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
...fourth alternative..."I'm not fed up, but I really wish the FW was less buggy".
Get's my vote. Now that I have my Glo on the patch with seems to now eliminate the large paragraph bug and gives me a smaller footer I'm pretty happy with my Glo.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Get's my vote. Now that I have my Glo on the patch with seems to now eliminate the large paragraph bug and gives me a smaller footer I'm pretty happy with my Glo.
Bastardization of the firmware to fix a problem is proof of major issues that need to be addressed still

Regards

Jack
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've sworn of buying anything from Kobo, but still tempted by the new flush surface. My Aura HD looks more like a picture frame than anything ereadery.

Perhaps if I can talk some poor hapless soul into paying $100 for my Aura HD I might weasel out and get the new Aura. Most likely I will demand a new $100 bill and keep it close by and fondle it instead

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I've been with Kobo since the beginning and I'm not fed up at all. Our four-member family all have Kobos, one of my sisters has been with Kobo since the beginning as well, and my other sister switched from Sony to the Aura HD and loves it.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
I've been with Kobo since the beginning and I'm not fed up at all. Our four-member family all have Kobos, one of my sisters has been with Kobo since the beginning as well, and my other sister switched from Sony to the Aura HD and loves it.
The hardware is impeccable. The display and reading ease is the best in class IMHO.

They just need to get their heads out of the sand and fix the firmware not fix and break it all at the same time.

regards

Jack
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Because. First its Canadian. Second they make the best hardware hands down IMHO

Regards

Jack
Kobo is Japanese. I don't agree with the second part either
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote