Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Finally I managed to enter in SSH...I found that /etc/upstart was pretty empty so I added all missing files from my backup, I rebooted in main mode but no luck....I'm still under the tree....
What to try next?
WHICH /etc/upstart? The one you see when you boot diags is on the diags partition. It SHOULD be mostly empty.

You should do this instead, to see the "real" /etc/upstart:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd /mnt/mmc/etc/upstart
ls -al

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 03:24 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
WHICH /etc/upstart? The one you see when you boot diags is on the diags partition. It SHOULD be mostly empty.

You should do this instead, to see the "real" /etc/upstart:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd /mnt/mmc/etc/upstart
ls -al
This is what I get in putty:

Code:
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mount /dev/mccblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
mount: special device /dev/mccblk0p1 does not exist
EDIT:It was due to bad image name (mccblk0p1 instead of mmcblk0p1).

Last edited by silver18; 05-29-2012 at 06:59 PM.
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I have limited info about this but i think its better to use mmcblk0p2 of the same version with mmcblk0p1. But I don't know about requirements and specific installation of kernels.

But just remembered that there is a good page about this whole process: tinyurl.com/touchunbrick
It is important that a partition and its kernel be the same version, but main and diags did not have to match in the past. Now that 5.1.0 changes both main and diags, they may both have to be 5.1.0 to prevent problems when doing an OTA update.

That Russian web page does bring all the stuff to one place, including my screenshots, my custom u-boots, my custom diags partititon (I put the "mario" password into the diags shadow file), and stuff from my other threads. I put that jagged line in my MfgTool screenshot to make it fit the MobileRead column width without shrinking it to make the text too small. He did provide a link back to my one of my threads after I sent him a message that requested that he give credit to the sources of his information and an optional link. He added the link, but "geekmaster" is not found on his web page. That is why I added the "CC BY-SA" license to all my recent posts (which requires user attribution when you copy stuff). Copying stuff without giving credit is just simple plagiarism even if you do add some of your own stuff to it. It is good to have a Russian translation of my stuff, but what I see here (and other threads) is a link to an ENGLISH translation of a Russian version of my original English stuff. He does have it all in one place, but that does not give him right to publish without giving credit to those who CREATED that content.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is important that a partition and its kernel be the same version, but main and diags did not have to match in the past. Now that 5.1.0 changes both main and diags, they may both have to be 5.1.0 to prevent problems when doing an OTA update
Does it means that my "procedure" is wrong or right (here)?

Why I can't mount /dev/mccblk0p1 to /mnt/mmc?
I'm getting confused ...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
via this link:
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/ > mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img
We do not provide direct clickable links, to stay within mobileread forum guidelines. The first post of the "simple debricking" thread has a link to a pastebin page with URLs. One of those URLs is for the gitbrew forensic page listed above.

@silver18: Was it the "forensic images" link description that made you NOT click the link to find the image you needed?
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
geekmaster

Quote:
Does it means that my "procedure" is wrong or right (here)?

Why I can't mount /dev/mccblk0p1 to /mnt/mmc?
I'm getting confused ...
You need to reboot after zeroing out /dev/mmcblk0p3, so that the startup scripts can reformat it. The factory reset cannot work until you do that reboot.

You should be able to mount your partition image if it is not damaged. Try doing an fsck on the original image file.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
silver18
THE NOOB

I'm in the middle of getting somewhere...
I managed to mount mmcblk0p1, I fixed the dbus.conf file, now I need to reboot but selecting "exit diagnostic" tells me that user partition isn't ready.
Do I need to unmount it? How?

Sorry to be so rude, I'll answer everything later!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
It is good to have a Russian translation of my stuff, but what I see here (and other threads) is a link to an ENGLISH translation of a Russian version of my original English stuff. He does have it all in one place, but that does not give him right to publish without giving credit to those who CREATED that content.
You are quite right. Well, after silver18 will prepare a good and proper tutorial, we will not need it anymore. Sorry, at least I could mention about this stuff but I thought that it's obvious that the actual source is your threads on this forum hence did not bother to mention about it.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I managed to mount mmcblk0p1, I fixed the dbus.conf file, now I need to reboot but selecting "exit diagnostic" tells me that user partition isn't ready.

Gotcha! The un-mount command is spelled with only one 'n' :
umount /dev/<whatever_you_mounted>
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:

Exiting from the diags menu that way requires a folder and file to exist that may be missing (see the wiki). They are created by the first item in the main diags menu. It is simpler to exit using an SSH prompt:

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #26
silver18
THE NOOB

Well, rebooted in main mode...still under the tree....

It's time to start plan B (with addition of rebooting after zeroing out /dev/mmcblk0p3)?

What does it mean to "mount your partition image if it is not damaged. Try doing an fsck on the original image file"?

My noobness it endless...

EDIT:
Quote:
@silver18: Was it the "forensic images" link description that made you NOT click the link to find the image you needed?
I simply didn't see it...I saw it now, after looking for it. Probably I expected to see partitions images listed under kernels!

Last edited by silver18; 05-29-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, rebooted in main mode...still under the tree....

It's time to start plan B (with addition of rebooting after zeroing out /dev/mmcblk0p3)?

What does it mean to "mount your partition image if it is not damaged. Try doing an fsck on the original image file"?

My noobness it endless...
Under Linux (I assume) ...
For this post, using name my.img - substitute as required.

losetup -f (finds the next free loop device, for this post call it loop1)
losetup my.img /dev/loop1
fsck -f /dev/loop1
losetup -d /dev/loop1

Should be possible to do on your kindle. Adjust pathnames, device names, and image names to suit your circumstances.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
geekmaster

I see that the stripped down fsck on my touch only checks devices.

I did "fsck -nf /dev/mmcblk0p1" and it told me about the missing "/lost+found" folder. That is normal for a kindle. The startup scripts delete that folder after creating ext3 partitions.

On my linux host PC, fsck also allows checking partition image files.

Perhaps you have a damaged partition image file. In another thread, use ppoo recently had the same problem as you, and it appears that he solved it by downloading and flashing a fresh copy of the partition file.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #29
geekmaster

Although losetup does work, it may be simpler to just use mount and umount as described in many posts in many threads.

Adding losetup to the mix will just confuse people.

To prevent running out of loop devices, be sure to add "-d" to umount (or losetup) when unmounting loop devices.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I see that the stripped down fsck on my touch only checks devices.

I did "fsck -nf /dev/mmcblk0p1" and it told me about the missing "/lost+found" folder. That is normal for a kindle. The startup scripts delete that folder after creating ext3 partitions.

On my linux host PC, fsck also allows checking partition image files.

Perhaps you have a damaged partition image file. In another thread, use ppoo recently had the same problem as you, and it appears that he solved it by downloading and flashing a fresh copy of the partition file.
Only devices that contain an "unmounted" filesystem.
The losetup command (if present) should turn a file into a device (it can also turn a device+offset into a device).
On the "full" implementation of the "mount" command, the -o loop option calls "losetup" for the user. The stripped down version lets the user do the calling.