Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Sideloading issue on Toshiba Thrive Android tablet

Hi all,

New android tablet owner, having purchased a Toshiba Thrive. I have some PDF's and some MOBI's of converted CHM files that I would like on the Thrive that I have no interest in getting onto my Kindle3.

Although I have stayed away from running Kindle for the PC, I did install it to understand the sideloading process. Simple enough, copy the file to the folder, start up K4PC and there the book is. Duplicating that on the Thrive has been a failure.

I have placed copies of the books in the kindle folder, the kindle ebooks folder, the root eBooks folder and just about any other place I can think of. Starting the Kindle for Android app (assumed to be the latest version) never results in finding the books. Neither PDF nor MOBI. There is no import function beyond collections (which I don't use).

On the other hand, Kobo seems to have no problems, although I had to convert the CHM's to EPUB rather than MOBI. That app allows me to search the external media and import the books. Sure, it ends up in the arcane folder system Kobo uses, but the books get to where I would like them. I 'could' stick with the Kobo app, it works as advertised. But I'd prefer Kindle on a consistency basis.

Anybody with any experience? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help, GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool try a different forum

you'd probably get more/better results if you'd try asking this in a different forum, this is the amazon kindle forum. you might try the android devices forum.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Make sure you copy the mobi files into the Kindle directory on the thrive. I did the this and the kindle app on the thrive has no problems with the mobi files. can't remember if it handles the pdf's ok as i just use the adobe pdf reader that came on the thrive - it works well and allows you to reflow the text if you zoom in etc
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
Make sure you copy the mobi files into the Kindle directory on the thrive. I did the this and the kindle app on the thrive has no problems with the mobi files. can't remember if it handles the pdf's ok as i just use the adobe pdf reader that came on the thrive - it works well and allows you to reflow the text if you zoom in etc
Jondelfin,

I finally figured out the secret -- restarting the Thrive. Just stopping and restarting the Kindle wasn't good enough. I had to physically reboot the Thrive after copying the books to the Kindle.

Given that, I've been happy with the two books of my Bridge columns that I created via calibre from PDF copies. There's still the issue with hand diagrams splitting between pages, but that's my original formatting fault, nothing to do with Kindle for Android. One of these days, I'll spend a while with the original WordPerfect files and turn the diagrams into graphics at the top of the page that they appear on. But I drone on.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a helpful solution. GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One

Moved out of the Kindle forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
android, sideload