Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Direct Page Control Hack

I made a new hack that will give you direct page access inside a book. Currently the numeric 0-9 keys inside a book are used to jump to who knows where in the book, but now you have Direct Page Control®

It works very easy. When you are reading a book and want to go to page 145 for example you need to do the following:
  • Enter the numbers 1, 4 and 5 with the numeric keypad
  • Now hold the "Next" button until the Reader jumps to page 145.
  • If you made an error you can hold the "Previous" key until the wrongly entered data disappears. Now you can start typing in the correct numbers. Alternatively you can also flip a page forward or backward and start typing again. Or just keep typing because after 4 digits it will reset to 1 again. Or are there people with books that contain 9999+ pages?

I hope that some people find this hack useful. It sure beats Sony's solution (I like to think).

See below for some pictures.

The attached file has:
  • Clock
  • Direct Page Control®

Use at your own risk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	1471
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	4810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	1385
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	4811  
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (41.6 KB, 922 views)

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-13-2007 at 01:07 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
neat!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Very nice hack, we've been waiting for this one quite a long time already !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
WOW! Way cool!

Do you know how much time I've spent looking up stuff? Now my dictionnaries can be useful, not as quick as typing a word, but with a quicker searching possibily than before.

Thanks a lot diabloNL!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

It took me many days to get it to work so I'm glad you guys like it!

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-12-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Advert
Old 08-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
just plain Awesome!
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I made a new hack that will give you direct page access inside a book. Currently the numeric 0-9 keys inside a book are used to jump to who knows where in the book, but now you have Direct Page Control®
I've added in the smaller menu font hack. Now I just need to have the page turn for even the menus added in. There is not even the page turn counter for just reading. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (41.7 KB, 863 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now what I need is the total page count hack from before added in as this one is missing it and I also need the smaller fonts hack added in as well. Then it'll be good to go.
I was expecting that question.

The attached file has:
  • Clock
  • Smaller menu/toc fonts
  • Total pages counter inside book. Reset by connecting the charger
  • Direct Page Control®

Use at your own risk!
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (41.7 KB, 902 views)

Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Sorry Jon, forgot you had the total pages counter with manual reset. The one above reset on charger connect. I will post the one that you want in a few minutes.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
WOW! Way cool!

Do you know how much time I've spent looking up stuff? Now my dictionnaries can be useful, not as quick as typing a word, but with a quicker searching possibily than before.

Thanks a lot diabloNL!
Do we have a dictionary in the book upload section? If not, I will add Webster's Unabridged from PG by Wednesday.

I wasn't going to bother converting one for the Sony Reader because without this hack, searching took too long. Thanks DiabloNL!!!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry Jon, forgot you had the total pages counter with manual reset. The one above reset on charger connect. I will post the one that you want in a few minutes.
Thanks much! What would be a good idea to do is start a new thread for all the different hacks so people will know where they all are and what they all do.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
The attached file has:
  • Clock
  • Smaller menu/toc fonts
  • Total pages counter in book + menu's. Reset by "ENTER" press in about screen
  • Direct Page Control®

Use at your own risk!
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (41.9 KB, 877 views)

Old 08-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The attached file has:
  • Clock
  • Smaller menu/toc fonts
  • Total pages counter in book + menu's. Reset by press "ENTER" in about screen
  • Direct Page Control®

Use at your own risk!
WOO HOO! Now I should be all set once I install this.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I have a question. How do the hacks in applicationstart.xml relate to those in main.xml? I have an applicationstart.xml hacked for the clock and for right-joystick=page forward, and left-joystick=history. What happens if use the main.xml hacked for direct page entry, clock, and small fonts in combination with my hacked applicationstart.xml?

Thank you.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 AM   #15
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I have a question. How do the hacks in applicationstart.xml relate to those in main.xml? I have an applicationstart.xml hacked for the clock and for right-joystick=page forward, and left-joystick=history. What happens if use the main.xml hacked for direct page entry, clock, and small fonts in combination with my hacked applicationstart.xml?

Thank you.
You will gain direct page entry and small fonts while keeping the clock and your modified joystick.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-13-2007 at 07:51 AM.