Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
karma, the perfect springtime gift

its easy to give and great to get. not sure how its computed but it costs nothing to give. all you have to do is to acknowledge that someone did something good. hey, no returns or wrong sizes.

i love the new sony reader download books. real easy to give them karma. tried to give some to someone and it said i had to spread it around more before i could give again. no problem.

so give some today to those you love the most.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Karma is cool...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Haha, that's a cool subject Uncle Duke. I too wondered how karma was calculated, just being the kinda guy who likes to know how things work, so in a previous post I posted what I infered of how it worked. Nicely enough, NatCh posted pretty detailed explanatation (turns out I wasn't too far off!). There are a ton of useful posts on the board and anytime I do a Google search for some type of eBook info or formatting question, MobileRead isn't too far from the top. That's pretty darn good considering the amount of websites out there and the possibilities.

If you're curious about the method, here's the original post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0091#post60091
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

thanks azayzel. that explains a lot. seems that you have to spread it around a bunch before you give it to someone again. some people seem a lot deserving like the harry guy who makes all those books by brit writers i like to read. i'm like a 15th cousin 32 times removed from the queen you know. we're very close.

i love the karma feature. i can give it away and i still have as musch as i started with. well i have a lot more now than i did then but that is not why i made this post. i just like the feature.

mobileread is a nifty place i should give some karma to that alex fellow who started it all.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think you have to hit 2 others before you can go back to someone, i.e. if you hit Mr. A, you have to hit Mrs. B, and Ms. C before you're allowed to hit Mr. A again, and I think you can't hit someone more than 3 times a day ... or something like that, the details are a bit fuzzy. Oh, yeah, the Admins are limited to giving something like 15 points a pop. Otherwise they'd just hit way too hard.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
And hey, as the days turn into summer it works there too. It seems that the more you give, the more you have to give.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts

not so fast my young friend

i hit the wall and can't give anymore karma for 24 hours

there is a limit to the karma

so many deserve it and so little time

back to rating threads for a while then
Old 06-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think you have to hit 2 others before you can go back to someone, i.e. if you hit Mr. A, you have to hit Mrs. B, and Ms. C before you're allowed to hit Mr. A again, and I think you can't hit someone more than 3 times a day ... or something like that, the details are a bit fuzzy. Oh, yeah, the Admins are limited to giving something like 15 points a pop. Otherwise they'd just hit way too hard.
i counted and i can give 10 doses of karma in a day

now hitting mrs b and ms c may get you hauled into court unless they're mrs bush and ms clinton and then they elect you
Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Question

OK how do you give karma and how do you know if you have any to give, or have received any?
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
BTW It's nice to write back when you get some. If a person is decent enough to give you some it's the perfect occasion to make a new friend!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
OK how do you give karma and how do you know if you have any to give, or have received any?
Everyone can give karma, just click on the little "karma" button under that individual's profile and you can leave them a little comment while giving them a slight boost. Don't worry, it doesn't cost you anything, in terms of karma, and you can't give *bad* karma either.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
To know if you have received any karma you can either keep track of your own karma and when it changes (or if you keep forgetting) click the "User CP" option on the top blue menu and it displays a list of the people who gave you karma, what post it was related to, the date of the karma, and the comment (if any) that they sent along.

Everyone starts with a karma of 10. After you have posted once you can give karma. How much karma you give is based on the time you have been a member of MobileRead, the number of posts you have made, and your own karma. NatCh explained it in another thread but it is basically 1 for each month you have been a member + 1/10 of the number of posts you have made + 1/40 of your current karma. Thus if you have been here for one year, made 100 posts, and have a current karma of 80; you would give 12 + 10 + 2 = 24. Thus if the person you were giving karma to had an existing karma of 10 (where everyone starts) they would then have a karma of 34. Your karma remains unchanged. Alex (who started MobileRead) and part of the staff are fixed at 15 for the karma that they give.

There are a few rules about giving karma. You can give it 10 times within 24 hours. You may give it the same person no more than 3 times in a day. You must give karma to two other people before you can give it to the same person again. You may not give karma to the same person for the same post twice.

As yvanleterrible said, it is always nice to send a thank you PM to the people that gave you karma. I have gotten to know a lot of people at MobileRead through these exchanges.

I hope this karma recap helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If anyone wants full details on karma, there's a write-up in the wiki too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I like Karma. I really liked it when people where giving me some love with it, but who am i telling this. You guys are well loved
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I saw today a member with karma -54. How is it possible? Does it mean the member was banned?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote