Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
2 weeks on - libre pro

found a couple of things..... when switching on you need to be careful not to hold the on/off switch down or the thing will turn off again... you need to turn REFLOW OFF for font resizing to work on some pdf files....
The thing will not show up in explorer for me when plugged into pc under vista unless the sd card is inserted or you do a reset....
not being able to add fonts still rankles lol....... mp3 works fine .. as does epub ... battery is ok but I would question the 24 hoursbut I haven't pushed it yet...

overall for $129 it was a good buy for a basic reader... it works as advertised

Brian
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You get used to the timing of the on/off switch quickly.

I have Vista and I didn't know that it didn't show up in Explorer, but then I always have the SD card inserted. The device itself usually shows up first in its own window, then the SD card brings up the AutoPlay choice window.

While at first the lack of font choices bothered me, I sort of prefer the serif font included anyway - I find it easy to read - so it's no longer that big a deal for me.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Yes, I agree - I prefer using the serif font as well.

The JB doesn't offer serif. (it does for epub if you installed the custom .35a2 FW).

As for the font sizing while reading PDF's. I believe that is dependent on the type of PDF. I found Text flow works for 98% of PDF's that I have come across.

I have found that some devices come with a "Quick Start-up Guide". These are provided in PDF format but unlike the "device user manual" they are a pamphlet style scan and react like a picture. There is no text to pull out and wrap around. In these cases you are required to turn off "Text Flow" and then zoom in/out and pan the document. Fortunately most PDF view fine with Text Flow on.

I meant to add that under XP and the USB-2 connection I sometimes find that the detection can be slow. The Internal memory will come up relatively fast but some times I have found myself waiting for 10-15 secs before the "Auto play" detects the card and bring it up. This happens with both my JB and ALP regardless of FW level.

Detection is usually faster after a fresh PC init. I have also noticed that some PC software if up before the USB connection and then terminated, tends to make the detection of the reader's card memory iffy. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I have learned to reserve my connections to a time where I am dedicating the PC for the purpose of connecting to the e-reader.

Something else I have noticed (common to both devices). If I am working on modifying the layout(presentation) of a text formated e-book using notepad (any text editor would work). If I save the file and then refresh the file on the e-reader via USB-2. The e-reader may not see the change to the file until I do a reset. I believe this has to do with internal memory management and caching. By forcing a reset you are forcing the device to re-initialize it's caching. You may achieve the same results by re-seating the sd-card (pull it out while the device is powered up - let it adjust to the act - then re-insert the sd-card and again wait for it to read the card).

It is annoying but it would be more annoying if the device costed me $500+.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 08-03-2010 at 10:41 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
bout 6 weeks on now..... still no major problems..... STILL pissed at the fonts issue" lol
bla is offline   Reply With Quote