Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
BillBill
BillBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Change Kindle DX time wo wireless

Hi,

Is there a way to change the Kindle DX clock manually ?
I'm using an US Kindle DX in Europe, without Whispernet.

Regards.
BillBill
BillBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
See this thread.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBill View Post
Hi,

Is there a way to change the Kindle DX clock manually ?
I'm using an US Kindle DX in Europe, without Whispernet.

Regards.
BillBill
I have a US DX in Canada and therefore, no wireless access.

It doesn't matter. You can still adjust the clock. You just turn your wireless ON and leave it on for a few minutes.

The DX will tell you that it's unable to establish a communication, but it doesn't matter. When you look at your clock the time will have adjusted itself.
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
pifomatic
pifomatic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth90 View Post
I have a US DX in Canada and therefore, no wireless access.

It doesn't matter. You can still adjust the clock. You just turn your wireless ON and leave it on for a few minutes.

The DX will tell you that it's unable to establish a communication, but it doesn't matter. When you look at your clock the time will have adjusted itself.
This trick used to work perfectly with my Kindle 2! But not anymore... Any idea to explain that?
pifomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
could you not change your primary address to a US one and "roam" on 3G in your own countries?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
pifomatic
pifomatic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Since my Kindle 2 is US only, not International, I think this option is not available...
pifomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've tried leaving on the 3G, I downloaded the update-caupdate-09.bin (already 2.5.8)
Kindle DXG
I tried
;st 2020-02-09 19:30
and return in the search window
It's still in 1970 and can't sync or deregister.
The 3G still works here in Ireland, it's only GSM that's getting turned off.
Amazon.co.uk help claim only Amazon.com can help and will send an email.
Except the help agent didn't seem to understand at all.
"That serial number isn't registered to you"
Well, of course it isn't. I loaned it and registered it to a different person in Ireland and he has given it back, flat.
It's charged up OK now.

I also tried Jailbreak to set the time via USB, but that didn't seem to work.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does connect and browse the Amazon shop, it's just that the date is 1970 and it can't connect to sync or register.
Kindle DXG (Graphite B009xxxxxxxxxx serial number type)
Software: Kindle 2.5.8 (555370010) with update-caupdate-09.bin installed.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The font patch worked. At least I've a pretty DXG that can't use Collections or register.
The stock font looked pretty miserable.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The screensaver hack also worked. Thanks!

It's not picking up time from 3G, and ;st 2020-02-09 19:30 (or whatever) seems to just search.

Do I need to connect a serial terminal (I have both 3.3V and 5V interfaces)?
Or can the time & date be set in a script in one of the hacks?

I'm sure the 1970 is why it can't register even though the service update is done.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

KUAL seems to have a feature to set the time. Except I've no idea how to install it or what bits are needed:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ensaver+change
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Probably I'm doing something stupid, I don't get why it's not getting the date & time from 3G, which works to browse Amazon.
I don't get why the ;st YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm entered at either search bar does nothing.

It's stuck in Jan 1970. The reader.prefs file has that date too.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #12
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@FrustratedReader,

AFAIK, you can't set time on a Kindle if it has no proper registration or reported as stolen (along with many other benefits like collections).

Now, I see the main problem in this:
Quote:
"That serial number isn't registered to you"
Well, of course it isn't. I loaned it and registered it to a different person in Ireland and he has given it back, flat.
If I understood this correctly, you gave your Kindle DX for a while to a different person, also signed-out from your own account and let him/her sign-in with their account.

So you need to ask him/her to de-register it from their side first (through Amazon account), and then you can register it with your account.

If you can't reach them anymore, this would be a little trickier. You can try to ask customer service to de-register the Kindle for you, but they will require a proof of purchase (like e-mail confirmation when you first bought the Kindle from Amazon), and proof that you are actually using it right now (to fight against fraud and robbery, I think). Usually they do this by sending some random request windows to Kindle and asking what's written on them.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I think newer kindles let you set the time without being registered?

But the Kindle DX is pretty much a Kindle 2, except with a bigger screen? So that's not a "newer kindle".
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:05 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The problem isn't the other person, the problem is the date, it was stuck at 1970 when still registered/in use by him, but only connected to Shop.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:12 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The Kindle DXG is much older than the screen quality suggests. Certainly my Kindle Keyboard has later firmware and can do AZW3 and publisher fonts, I don't think the DXG does, last official FW is 2.5.8

Tags
kindle dx date