Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #61
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
"Little Sydney" is about to turn 11, and thinks she knows more than I about everything (including driving). The kid has a computer, a flip video, an ipod, a kindle, a portable dvd player, a gameboy, a ds . . . She better not say a word (but of course she will, because it is soooo unfair).

I did finally get on NYPL, and found 1600 romance books in mobi, and 800 available for check out. So as soon as I finish the 20 pages of books on my kindle, I'm there!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #62
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not for me personally, I really like my 505 ... However I have been very tempted to buy the kindle, but only to have access to their ebook selection and prices.
That's been a driving interest for me too, but I keep telling myself I'm already way behind in my reading with a bunch of unread but purchased books; the $400 pricetag would pay the price difference for a lot of slightly more expensive sony and/or microsoft ebooks; and finally, as a Canadian, the kindle wouldn't reach it's full potential without whispernet. If I lived in the states, I might get it anyway since I'm addicted to wikipedia.

I have a bunch of older legacy readers (REB, GEB, EBW, etc) that I could theoretically fall back on if my unit broke, but after 3 years of eink, I think I'd probably just show up at the local sony store within the hour and buy a replacement.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #63
A J Edwards
A J Edwards began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
Quite frankly I would actually like to physically see an eBook reader on sale in a shop in the UK at a price I can sensibly afford.

In fact I would actually like to see an eBook reader in a shop! (you know, those places you used to go and buy things in before the recession)

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind is going to pay £200 plus in order to read a book that can be borrowed from the public library for nothing.
A J Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #64
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I've only ever seen one (Sony) on display in store (Waterstones) and it wasn't even switched on !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #65
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Edwards View Post
Quite frankly I would actually like to physically see an eBook reader on sale in a shop in the UK at a price I can sensibly afford.

In fact I would actually like to see an eBook reader in a shop! (you know, those places you used to go and buy things in before the recession)

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind is going to pay £200 plus in order to read a book that can be borrowed from the public library for nothing.
You assume my public library has the books I want to read. Which it doesn't. Also, I like to own books, so I can read them whenever I want to, not whenever I have time to go the library and actually am able to find the book.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #66
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
That's assuming that:

a. You can get to the public library (distance, disability, or operating hours can hinder this)
b. The public library has the book you want to read (sometimes they don't have it at all, or the only copy has been lost, or the waiting list is months long)
c. The public library has the book in a format that you can read (only has it in regular print if you need large print or audio, or only has it as an audiobook if you are deaf or hard of hearing)

I think it's amazing that I now have access to thousands of large print books without having to worry about weather or transportation.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #67
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
It's a PUG!

(Can you start a thread with pug pictures please? Pretty please?)
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #68
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Are You Ever Tempted to Buy Multiple Readers?
Hardly ever.

Definitely not more than 15 times a week ;-)

I own the very first generation of e-ink readers - Sony PRS500.
At the moment I am fancying something with at least a second generation of e-ink. The problem is my reader functions very, very well for what I need - reading fiction.

A friend of nine was prepared to bring PRS700 for me from USA, but when it finally came out and when I found out that the display would not be a significant upgrade over my PRS500 I canceled the whole logistically very demanding operation.

At the moment I am in love with about 10 existing or perspective readers.
The hottest candidate for my second reader at the moment is
<STRONG>
<DROOL>
Wizpac txtr reader
</drool>
</strong>
;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #69
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You really should be careful about insulting the majority of people on this forum. Either your belief system is skewed or the majority of people on this forum are not in their right minds. I am pretty sure it is the former.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
At the moment I am in love with about 10 existing or perspective readers.
The hottest candidate for my second reader at the moment is
<STRONG>
<DROOL>
Wizpac txtr reader
</drool>
</strong>
;-)
hey kacir, i think the w3c deprecated the "drool" tag, for accessibility reasons. it was shorting out too many keyboards and people couldn't access the web at all then.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hey kacir, i think the w3c deprecated the "drool" tag, for accessibility reasons. it was shorting out too many keyboards and people couldn't access the web at all then.
Perhaps that is XML and he has an XSLT to transform the drool tag into some type of special font or graphic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #72
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps that is XML and he has an XSLT to transform the drool tag into some type of special font or graphic.

BOb
that must be it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #73
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You really should be careful about insulting the majority of people on this forum. Either your belief system is skewed or the majority of people on this forum are not in their right minds. I am pretty sure it is the former.

BOb
I think it is slightly also the latter. I know I'm not in my right mind

But he's right. With your reasoning, people wouldn't even go to the bookstore, they would just go to the library.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #74
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Confession time...

BTW, PilotBob -- I am crazy and do freely and willfully admit it but the other poster who wonders why we would buy a device when libraries are free... why is s/he hanging out on a forum dedicated to eReader owners... unless it is s/he is trying to perform some sort of intervention...

Now time for my confession...

I just ordered up the Sony red reader. I have a cybook from last year but never "bonded" with it because the firmware was crap so it didn't keep track of bookmarks so you always had to flip through manually to find where you were in a book... I still have the cybook for cheaper mobipocket formats etc.

Last fall I bought the PRS-505 and fell in love. so I bought a second one. But then recently I felt guilty about owning 2 sonys and a dear friend saw mine, fell in love and I gave it to her as a wedding present figuring I didn't need 2 and she couldn't afford 1.

But alas, I have felt a void in my soul and, as I said, just recently ordered up the Sangria Red sony reader. I guess it comes from the idea that I always have to have one with me and I don't want to run the risk of one having a dead battery on one and having to wait while it charges up before I can read.

Funny -- I don't have the same compulsion about my cell phone and frankly, there is more of a "safety" issue there where if my car breaks down and my cell phone is dead, I'm screwed... But on the plus side, at least I would have something to read until someone found me!

Hello, my name is Nancy and I'm a reader-aholic. (sometimes I think the ghost of my father is driving me to this since he never met a gadget that he didn't like and usually had to have multiples... so really, I think it is a genetic condition and you can't fight nature!)
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #75
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Lily -- like you, I own both a Kindle and a Sony. I bought my Kindle first and it's still my favorite device. I bought the Sony primarily to read the LRF files I had found here at MobileRead since there were no conversion tools to convert to another format. My second reason for getting the Sony was to use in testing the LRF files I was learning to create using BookDesigner and later Calibre.

I have never registered the Sony at the Sony store, so I buy all my current release books from Amazon.com. I have bought several multi-format books from Baen and Fictionwise. Hubby bought me the lighted cover for the Sony as a Christmas present, and its light is less bothersome to him while he's driving than the map light, external book light, flashlight, and even the laptop screen. (And, yes, I've used all of those for reading in the car at night, even long before I owned the Kindle & Sony.)

I wouldn't want to give up either reader.

Now to be honest, I'm lusting over the Cybook and BeBook readers and I'm looking forward to the next generation. I can honestly admit to just being a gadget junkie. I own two MP3 players and an iPod -- though I rarely use any of them!
Now this sounds like the ideal solution to my dilemma. I want a Kindle for the content availability and one stop shopping convenience of Amazon. But I also want an ESlick for the versatility of format and the capability of reading my TON of already acquired ebook content in multiple formats. If it weren't for the price tag, this would be the solution I'd choose, - unfortunately, price is an issue, I simply can't afford both!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote