Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Stuff for 360+

I just got my brandnew 360+ and am looking for some recent stuff for it, but looking at the sticky threads of this forum, interest in Pocketbook stopped somewhere in 2010??? Is there any other place where one can find additional apps, software, themes, handy things, etc?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
... but looking at the sticky threads of this forum, interest in Pocketbook stopped somewhere in 2010???
PocketBook representatives stopped answering posts here around that time.
PocketBook abandoned USA market at plus/minus that time, so there is no reason anymore to complain here about too high prices here in comparison with USA prices ;-)

From time to time a new version of a program appears - such as Fbreader or Coolreader or a Linx browser. All the existing features have been discovered and discussed to death.

PocketBook company has released SDK for the oldest models - 301 and 360, as well as a theme builder and dictionary converter. They also organized programming competition for games and utilities for 301 and 360 and another sponsored competition for the best theme (this is how we got theme cleanlook, sheeps, sherlock and others). I am not aware of any of those (SDK and competitions) for the new models. It seems that once they were big enough and successfull they decided that they do not need to build AND maintain strong community arround the brand. It is sad, because the support and community was what made PocketBook such a great devices.

Here is the place where I saw any interesting activity concerning new models, long after the activity ceased here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewf...fbe38ee1c9b398
The forum is in Russian. Even PocketBook CEO used to discuss there under the nick "The Old Man". You can follow the forum comfortably using translate.google.com

Last edited by kacir; 08-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I just got my brandnew 360+ and am looking for some recent stuff for it, but looking at the sticky threads of this forum, interest in Pocketbook stopped somewhere in 2010??? Is there any other place where one can find additional apps, software, themes, handy things, etc?
If you check some of the threads on the 360 plus in here you can find some things to add to your machine like cool reader, FB180, screen savers, and some other odds and ends. I think the 360plus is one of the best ereaders on the market. I use it every week, but Pocketbook does not do much to help promote it outside of Eastern Europe....I guess...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
as far as themes go, you will find something in this thread. To some extent it duplicates some of the work that Gerda had done and that you can find in th "Themes" sticky - the basic point is that directory names in the PB360+ are closer to the PRO models than to the original 360 (e.g. "applications" isntead of "games") and wifi, that you may want to be able to call from your homepage, so you have to modify the themes and recompile them. This if you want maximum flexibility, otherwise you can go with those that are ready made.

One other nice thing you can do with the 360+ which one cannot with the 360 is that you can connect to the calibre server using wifi and transfer files in that way (though the cable is still quicker )

You can put FBreader and Coolreader (make sure you use the correct Coolreader version, the one with the PRO), and you can also create a file to make it easier to go to your favourite pages in case you want to use the browser try "my_links" here.

Here is the list of what I put on my parent's PB360+:
- the themes as in the link above;
- latest version of coolreader;
- fbreader
- history.app (used by brit_var, which allows you to change the list of last open books), wifi-off.app and wifi-on.app, used by britanica. You can also used these as standalone apps and add them to your customised themes. You will find these apps in gerda's attachment here, which has her themes - I think some of mine are different because I changed them to my taste.

I agree with Kacir that PB360 and its plus brother are really good!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote