Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
jedi2602
jedi2602 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Angry Ebook prices drive me insane

Ebook prices suck! Just discovered the new Kathy Reichs book, 206 Bones is out. Cost on mobipocket.com: US$26.99. Cost on cyberread.com: $US26.99 Not even listed on fictionwise or booksonboard

Can't even buy it in ebook format in Australia. Cost of paperback in australia: AU$22.99

What is the point of owning an uber awesome ebook reader if I can't buy the blasted ebooks themselves in Australia? Even emporiumbooks.com.au - which sells the Bebook reader - doesn't seem to sell ebooks!!

Dymocks sell ebooks - but a very limited range and never a new release that I want.
</end rant>

If anyone knows of a decent online Australian ebook store, please let me know!

Shari
jedi2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi2602 View Post
Ebook prices suck! Just discovered the new Kathy Reichs book, 206 Bones is out. Cost on mobipocket.com: US$26.99. Cost on cyberread.com: $US26.99 Not even listed on fictionwise or booksonboard
That's because it's only currently available as a hardback in the US. The eBook price will fall once the paperback is released.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi2602 View Post
Cost on mobipocket.com: US$26.99. Cost on cyberread.com: $US26.99 Not even listed on fictionwise or booksonboard

Can't even buy it in ebook format in Australia. Cost of paperback in australia: AU$22.99
And you're complaining??? Here's what we have in France (for French language books of course):

Les sagesses antiques (Michel Onfray)

- Not available anywhere in prc format

- Available on fnac.com in epub format (with DRM, which means I can't legally convert it to PRC) for the price of 18.80 euros

- Available on Amazon.fr in paperback format for 6.60 euros

Now THAT's what I call outrageous!!!!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I just noticed that you quoted prices in US $ and AU $, so maybe the difference is similar after all, I'm not sure.

Also, in France part of the difference is explained by a higher VAT rate on ebooks I think. The rest is just plain stupid greed on the part of publishers I would think

The result is that I just borrowed the book at my local library and didn't have to pay a cent for it
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Semantic
Semantic began at the beginning.

Device: T2010
This is one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a kindle (you can use it outside the US via amazon giftcards) - that book for instance is $15 ($18 AUD) with most books $10.
Semantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Just doing a few comparisons out of pure curiosity, and I found a book that is 1 euro cheaper in ebook format than in pbook. Yay! Unfirtunately it's the first Twilight book, which I don't really intend to read, and certainly not in a French translation. It's at 16.1 euros at Numilog.com, and Amazon has it for 17.1 (or up to 395 euros for a first edition )
Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Also, in France part of the difference is explained by a higher VAT rate on ebooks I think. The rest is just plain stupid greed on the part of publishers I would think
Yep, that's one of the reasons stated here too about the high ebook prices. Books are 6% VAT, ebooks are software not books, thus 19% VAT...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
ye whining basterds Here in Hungary there is precisely 0 ebook store. From our point of view you are extremely fortunate.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Sweetpea: yes, but if the only difference was the VAT rate, in my example the e-book should be priced at (6.6 / 1.055 x 1.196) = 7.48 euros, not 18.80!

worxland: oops, sorry, I guess I shouldn't complain, things ARE getting better in France. I'm guessing that next year I can probably advise my mother that it's now worth it for her to buy a reader
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Sweetpea: yes, but if the only difference was the VAT rate, in my example the e-book should be priced at (6.6 / 1.055 x 1.196) = 7.48 euros, not 18.80!
Well, I did say "one of the reasons"

Quote:
worxland: oops, sorry, I guess I shouldn't complain, things ARE getting better in France. I'm guessing that next year I can probably advise my mother that it's now worth it for her to buy a reader
Yep, the same here. If they really follow up on their promise (they = central book distributing thingie here), we'll soon have 3000 Dutch books to choose from (right now, it's about 1200) and more to come. If it really is going to pick up speed, I might actually tell the same to my mother (and even though she lives in Hungary, she reads Dutch books )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Quote:
That's because it's only currently available as a hardback in the US
Other than shear exploitation of ebook readers why is this at all relevant?

I'm quite happy to accept that a hardback costs more to produce than a paperback (I'm not quite sure it's 3x as much but that's another argument). However I am very sure that an ebook is an ebook and doesn't change in costs (if anything it gets more expensive over time (server storage) rather than less). Having new ebook titles at hardback prices is just outrageous.

One of the main advantages is the whole convenience thing, want click have, but encouraging readers to wait until the paperback comes out is just counterproductive.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Yep, that's one of the reasons stated here too about the high ebook prices. Books are 6% VAT, ebooks are software not books, thus 19% VAT...
Yes, eBooks attract the full rate of VAT, whereas in many EU countries pBooks have a low, or even zero (as in the UK and Ireland) VAT rate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
Having new ebook titles at hardback prices is just outrageous.

One of the main advantages is the whole convenience thing, want click have, but encouraging readers to wait until the paperback comes out is just counterproductive.
Well I would be happy (more or less) to wait a few months for the price to go down, but apparently French publisher are planning to leave ebooks at hardback prices even after the paperback is out.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Yes, I get frustrated with the European publishers. Their ebooks are the same price as their hard copies. I don't get that. Far less overhead and materials with an e-version. I need to buy a lot of Routledge, Oxford, Cambridge, and Brill volumes and they just stick you with an incredible price for their electronic versions.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A quick search using ebookprice.info returned this.

LRX not your format though.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote