Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
jfontana
jfontana began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
PDF to EPUB conversion

Since the developer of Calibre is here perhaps he can help me solve my problem.

First of all, thanks for this wonderful application.

One of the things I like about Calibre is the possibility of transforming PDFs into EPUB documents. I find reading PDFs in my ipod not as comfortable as reading them as EPUB documents in Stanza. I'm finding some problems transforming some of the documents, however.

My language, Catalan, has accented characters, just like Spanish or French. With some of the PDF documents, the conversion is flawless. With other documents, however, I get character sequences like these: e' for é, or u¨ for ü.

What could cause this problem? I would say I did exactly the same to convert all of the documents. Why do some preserve the accented characters while others have sequences of two characters? Is this something that has to do with the encoding of these characters in the original PDF document?

Thanks in advance for your help.
jfontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, it is most likely an encoding issue. Try setting the encoding in the calibre conversion options to different values. The list of possibilities is here

http://docs.python.org/library/codec...dard-encodings
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
nickbaer
nickbaer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I moved this reply to a new thread.

Last edited by nickbaer; 03-17-2010 at 03:36 AM.
nickbaer is offline   Reply With Quote