Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Exclamation Kindle 2 - search - always active?

Hmmm. I just started reading the Kindle 2 manual. And then I took another look at the picture comparing the two (included below). The manual says "while you are in HOME, the Kindle store, or reading [a book], from the keyboard, begin typing what you want to search for". (pg 12)

So -- the keyboard is now active at all times. We can no longer count on holding it by that area. See, there is no SEARCH button in the picture?! The manual goes on to say you can select (via the 5-way) your search region -- all books, dictionary, Kindle store, wikipedia, web. It's not clear if you can search only the currently open book (that would be a nice addition, but the K1 can't do it currently).

While looking at the keys in the picture: HOME has moved, SEARCH is gone, and the 2 at right are SYM and Aa. On the left, only 2 buttons are left -- the left seems to say SHIFT, and the right ..... well, maybe that's ALT? Cause the slash / seems to be at the second to right of the bottom row. For a minute I was worried about my ALT button, cause I *like* to use ALT-B for a bookmark. It's easier than navigating up to dog-ear the page. (Also an option, for you newcomers - at least, with K1 it is.) Also, ALT-T is nice to show the time. (Quit reading, and go to BED, you idiot!)

Anyway --- which ever co-Kindle-owner it was that says "the keys are inactive; hold it down there" -- that may not be true any more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-2-size-comparison.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	23369  

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 02-12-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: oops - forgot comparison pic
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
So -- the keyboard is now active at all times. We can no longer count on holding it by that area.
Good catch.

That would definitely be a problem for the K1, I guess they figure it won't be for the ergonomically improved K2.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
HUH? I am dumbfounded. This is supposed to be a BETTER version.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Maybe that's one of the reasons they left so much grabspace around the edges.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
HUH? I am dumbfounded. This is supposed to be a BETTER version.

BOb

NOBODY listens to me!!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

NOBODY listens to me!!!!
The hits keep coming.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The hits keep coming.

BOb

'sigh. sorry.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I quite often have my thumb right in the middle of the keyboard, I guess that is what the poster's point is. Yeah, awkward.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think we'll have to hold it in our hands before we make judgements like that. Though i agree it doesn't sound great.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then again, the K2 allows us to search ONLY in the current book. K1 doesn't have that. That will be an improvement!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Then again, the K2 allows us to search ONLY in the current book. K1 doesn't have that. That will be an improvement!
I would love to have that feature in K1. Ideally I would like to be able to organize by folders or tags and be able to choose to search within a given tag/folder, the current document or the whole Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I can't believe how overly critical people are about a device they haven't even used yet. I, for one, don't think it will be a problem and look forward to the improved design.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
I can't believe how overly critical people are about a device they haven't even used yet. I, for one, don't think it will be a problem and look forward to the improved design.
If you are referring to me, I've had my Kindle for 8 months.

I think I know what I"m talking about.

And I repeat. This is an "improved design" only in your eyes.

Except for the folder features, which they still haven't address, the "design" was fine the way it was.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Its kinda a mix for me. The original design with those huge page buttons would of made it really difficult for me to hold while reading in bed because of the position i lay in. However the thinnes of k2 is also worrisome whether itll be comfortable to hold in same said position. Guess Ill have to wait and see.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

And some of us are anxiously perusing the new user's manual, to make the time go faster until our new K2 arrives!