Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
Could this be why sometimes when I am in code view, jump to the replace dialog and do a replace all in a page, then I click back to the code view all my replacements suddenly revert back to the pre-replace versions? Doesn't happen all the time.
I believe this is the case.

The replacement dialog has related issues I'm working on fixing. I need to rectify using that dialog with malformed data in the code view. I want to limit the potential for data loss. Such as replace then switch to the book view and not having the well formed check happen because the code view never had focus to trigger the check. Also, I don't want the error dialog to open after every replacement. Or when trying to open the replace dialog in order to fix the errors.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #32
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Just thinking of all the possible sequences of focus changes and race conditions and such makes my brain melt.

Perhaps it would be simpler to provide an option to disable the automatic well-formed check completely, and have a button so the user could decide when to run it manually.

For similar reasons, I usually run with Tidy turned off, because it sometimes wanted to make changes while I was in the middle of editing something. Just because I change window focus doesn't necessarily mean I'm finished editing.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #33
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Just because I change window focus doesn't necessarily mean I'm finished editing.
Especially with Window's love of popping up a dialog and stealing focus while you work, as when an IM comes in or such.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #34
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Perhaps it would be simpler to provide an option to disable the automatic well-formed check completely, and have a button so the user could decide when to run it manually.
I thought about doing this but I don't think it will really help. The issue is the book view can alter the code and if it is malformed this can lead to unexpected changes. This can lead to data loss which the dialog is warning you about and trying to prevent. Turning off the dialog won't prevent the data from being altered. The only way to prevent the book view from altering the data is to make it read only...
Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #35
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I thought about doing this but I don't think it will really help. The issue is the book view can alter the code and if it is malformed this can lead to unexpected changes. This can lead to data loss which the dialog is warning you about and trying to prevent. Turning off the dialog won't prevent the data from being altered. The only way to prevent the book view from altering the data is to make it read only...
I agree with st_albert. After I losing data a couple of times using v3.4, I make it a point to save prior to doing a regex. I haven't had any problems since. I have never been a fan of this "feature". If it went away I wouldn't miss it although I would use it if I could turn it off and on.

Regard - John

P.S. Thanks for all the good work. It is greatly appreciated.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #36
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
Especially with Window's love of popping up a dialog and stealing focus while you work, as when an IM comes in or such.
Well, I've spent some effort on tidying up the view transitions, so the next release shouldn't have the wild mismatches that are common at present. But if something steals focus away from the Code View window at the wrong time it's still liable to reset the cursor. It might be possible to make the Qt cursor a bit more robust though.

I'm not entirely sure that these changes will fix whatever obscure cache issues are still floating around, but hopefully they will make Sigil run a bit faster.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #37
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Could these problems be related to the way that "replace in all HTML files" keeps finding 0 things to replace, which "replace in this page only" still works normally?

I need to experiment with this one a little more to figure out exactly when it's happening.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I noticed that Replace All (Down):
1) does not All from current insert point to EOF(last segment), but loops around . Ekample a book whe al headers were H1 and I set up to change all (insert point is)past the Title page to be H3. Nope, the title page gets changed.

2)Could the Not found be because the last (from previous activity) insert point was left mid file in a segment and the target was before the insert point? Clicking at the top of section always finds on a retry.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #39
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having investigated Replace All a bit more, I found that it seems to dislike special characters. It won't recognize — and refuses to find it, but it will recognize the actual mdash, which is confusing, since Code View seems to always show the HTML code in 0.4.0.

I also am getting the impression that having an HTML open in Sigil has an effect on whether or not find/replace will find things in it. I'll have to experiment with that more.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #40
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
It won't recognize — and refuses to find it, but it will recognize the actual mdash, which is confusing, since Code View seems to always show the HTML code in 0.4.0.
We thought we'd fixed that, but it seems a function wasn't working as expected. In the next release the mdashes, ndashes and soft hyphens will show up in Code View in entity form and can be found as — etc.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #41
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
We thought we'd fixed that, but it seems a function wasn't working as expected. In the next release the mdashes, ndashes and soft hyphens will show up in Code View in entity form and can be found as — etc.
Your kindness is much appreciated and will mean I'm not stuck with British-style endashes. My brain refuses to admit to their validity.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #42
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I noticed that Replace All (Down):
1) does not All from current insert point to EOF(last segment), but loops around . Ekample a book whe al headers were H1 and I set up to change all (insert point is)past the Title page to be H3. Nope, the title page gets changed.
This really comes down to what you interpret the meaning of all to be. All from the current point or all instances of the match. I can see people arguing which one it should do.

Quote:
2)Could the Not found be because the last (from previous activity) insert point was left mid file in a segment and the target was before the insert point? Clicking at the top of section always finds on a retry.
You're doing a replace all and it shows no instances when you have the cursor someplace in the file and there is a match before the cursor?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This really comes down to what you interpret the meaning of all to be. All from the current point or all instances of the match. I can see people arguing which one it should do.
That is what I expect to happen if I did not set a Direction. With a direction set: I expect it to stop at the end of the direction

Quote:
You're doing a replace all and it shows no instances when you have the cursor someplace in the file and there is a match before the cursor?
True, but I was not (directly) the one who left the insert point in the middle on all the other files. And how is the user to reset the insert point on all files to the top prior to another Replace All HTML files?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #44
user_none

Quote:
That is what I expect to happen if I did not set a Direction. With a direction set: I expect it to stop at the end of the direction
I'll look at a few other text editors. If they display the same behavior I'll change Sigil to match. I'm fine with changing if that's what people expect. Otherwise if other editors ignore direction I'm going to leave it.

Quote:
True, but I was not (directly) the one who left the insert point in the middle on all the other files. And how is the user to reset the insert point on all files to the top prior to another Replace All HTML files?
Sorry. I was asking a question not making a statement. I'm not sure I'm understanding the behavior you were talking about. So were talking about searching using "All HTML Files"? When you use this and have a direction set it uses the direction from the cursor postion in the other files? If so does this happen only with files open in a tab or are you also seeing it with files that are not open in a tab?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'll look at a few other text editors. If they display the same behavior I'll change Sigil to match. I'm fine with changing if that's what people expect. Otherwise if other editors ignore direction I'm going to leave it.

Sorry. I was asking a question not making a statement. I'm not sure I'm understanding the behavior you were talking about. So were talking about searching using "All HTML Files"? When you use this and have a direction set it uses the direction from the cursor postion in the other files? If so does this happen only with files open in a tab or are you also seeing it with files that are not open in a tab?
I am thinking 'any file with a previous (in session change), tabs open (doh!, I think so.). all I know is the skip happens and Never on a fresh usage of Sigil, then BANG it does it a lot.
I have also seen S&R open one tab after another (Why did it do this on a Find Next if no target found on the Tab??. Note: this does not normally happen when it works and does not always happen when it fails.) and no (exists) target found. We are seeing results of a really odd bug .