Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should We Be Able To Resell Our Ebooks? (First Sale Rights)
Yes 93 73.23%
No 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #91
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
On any forum you're going to find threads that either go against what you believe, or that don't interest you. If you reply to each saying that you find it 'pointless' you're going to be really busy
It's pointless to point out pointlessness.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #92
Thierry.C
Connoisseur
Thierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura about

Device: none yet
My opinion about "Should We Be Able To Resell Our Ebooks? (First Sale Rights)"
is YES because of the word "able". We should have that right, because it doesn't prevent any other rights or duties.
However, it shouldn't imply a worse DRM v.2 or any other restrictions that are greater than the benefit.
And this is the big problem, because the benefit of that capability (right) is really low to my opinion (except as to maintain a right, as a principle). I can see only two other reasons that can be beneficial:
1) be able to offer it;
2) be able to get some money back for expensive books.

Personally, I like my (physical) books and never sold one. Maybe it will be different with e-books, don't know yet.

One fundamental right that is far more important and beneficial to my opinion is:
the right to share it and then get it back (temporary exchange of properties)

Finally, as someone said, uniquely identifiable or single copy seem in contradiction with the essence of digital data. We must have the right to make or get exact copies for back-up purpose, as we should have to pay for the "created value" and for the "effective cost to transmit it to the customer". At the moment, it seems that we sometimes pay the price for the "corresponding product of another technology"...

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Thierry.C; 03-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Thierry.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert