Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
A "pocket-size reader" - Nokia 810 or JetBook?

I am a happy Sony 505 owner, but there are times when I'd prefer to carry a reader that is smaller and lighter, a better pocket-size. So I'm probably going to waste some money on a second device.

Most of my books for the Sony are stripped-DRM purchases which I presumably can convert in Calibre for another device.

I've been looking at the JetBook, but for a comparable price I could get the Nokia 810 (or possibly the Ipod Touch) which of course have lots more internet/data features.

Is the Nokia "just as good" an ereader as the JetBook?
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

My advice: get a windows mobile phone edition device, it will be with you all the time - mobile phone - and reads almost everything eBook related.
Also... is really easy to carry in a pocket.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Nokia has color and is backlit (which could be an advantage or a disadvantage over the jetBook). I was very happy with my Nokia 770 as an ebook reader, using FBReader software, although I now exclusively use EInk devices for reading. It is almost exactly half the screen size of the PRS-505, with the landscape mode being the same width as the 505 (in portrait) but half as high. Since page turns are very fast, this isn't a big deal. There is a pictorial review/tour of the 770 at FBReader screenshots.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
In theory an all-in-one phone/ereader would be a very convenient combo. However, I would check out the battery life before getting it. How many hours of talk time? How many hours of reading time? Will the battery last all day?

I read for a long time on a pda-sized device and you will probably be happy with it. However, I doubt I would like it today. Although I've never used a Jetco, the comments I've seen here on MR tell me I would probably be happy with it. However, for my son I'm thinking about a 5inch eink device. The current best bet (soonest availability in the US) looks to me like the Astek EZReader. The manufacturer is predicting August availability. My guess is September.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I had an N800 and read quite a bit on it. If you really need/want the multifuntionality, go for the N800. However, I found that most of the time, I only read ebooks on my N800. I didn't notice any problems reading on the LCD screen, as some suggest. Being backlit, you can read in complete darkness. I used to get about 6-7 hours of reading time from a battery charge.

I now have a jetBook and I traded my N800 off. The reason is, I wanted a larger screen that showed more text. The jetBook's 20 hour reading time is a big plus. Although I don't often read more than 6-7 hours at a stretch, it is nice not having to plug the jetBook in all the time.

Now that New Egg has the jetBook for $170, that might sway your decision. I got mine when they had the coupon code promotion, and got the same price.

If you read my other comments about the jetBook, that may help you with your decision. I am satisfied with mine and like reading on it more than I did the N800.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Thanks for the responses! I'm principally interested in reading ebooks, so the Jetbook seemed the appropriate choice, but the extra internet features of the Nokia are very beguiling, even if I won't use them that often. Aauugh, I'm still sitting on the fence. :-)
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DojoPat View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'm principally interested in reading ebooks, so the Jetbook seemed the appropriate choice, but the extra internet features of the Nokia are very beguiling, even if I won't use them that often. Aauugh, I'm still sitting on the fence. :-)
That's why I'll do both... I'll not get rid of my PDA and I'll by a 5" e-ink screen
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
kf6gpe
kf6gpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I have both a Nokia N810 and a PRS-505. Love the N810 when I'm traveling and don't want to bring a laptop. For the daily commute, though, I do most of the reading on the 505. The N810's battery is fine (a couple of days on a charge)... but I can't remember the last time I actually had to think about charging the 505 --- plugging it into the USB port for a few minutes in the morning to pick up my copy of BBC from Feedbooks has it topped off for the day!

Can't comment on the JetBook --- but the Nokia 800 and 810 are both good devices, and if you shop around, you can get a good deal on one.
kf6gpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
i was able to carry my jetbook+psp+ds in a fanny pack the size of a big water bottle on my trip to maui a few months ago, if you want to compare size and portability.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
I love reading on my Palm TX but jgray and Kris777's posts have pretty much convinced me to try our the jetbook. I should be making my purchase in the next week or 2 and will report back how I like it (or not).
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a TX (unfortunately I have to fix the screen) and I really like it. From everything I've seen the Jetbook should work really well for you, provided you get the new firmware and better format support.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
I use my iphone to read when i have my 505 at home. the software is called stanza and is free and should work on the touch too. but after 1-2 hours my eyes start to hurt... for short time reading it is perfect...
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I bought a used Dell Axim x30 for $85 at Amazon and installed Mobi Pocket on it. LOVE it! It has a color screen and I can enlarge the text larger than I can on my eBookwise. Yes, the screen is smaller so there are more page turns. But with the touch screen, page turns are easy. I can also program any buttons I want to do page forward or back. So much easier to tote around than my EBW.

Edited to add: You can often find them cheaper on eBay, but I had an Amazon gift certificate from CC points so it was essentially free for me

Last edited by LauraLynn; 06-30-2009 at 09:41 AM.
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
well, i have both the ipod touch and the jetBook and there are a few positives to each. (i'm gonna keep it short lol)

ipod Touch

positives
- small and convenient
- made by apple (extraordinary software features)
- cool apps (2nd gen only unless you update the 1st gen one)

downsides
- keeping it on for too long with the backlight DRAINS the battery super quick
- reading on it is a hassle as the print is way too small for the screen
- eyes get tired from costant use of the backlight

jetBook

positives
- awesomely small and portable
- crystal clear text that you can shrink and enlarge through different font sizes
- no backlight and an anti-reflective screen make reading in dark places easier and easy on the eyes

downsides
- not too many lol
- you can strip DRM's pretty easy and if you already have them available on your computer you can easily reformat the code (i think there's a thread on mobileread about it, and if not you can find it super quick by googling). Plus the company releases firmware updates that allow extra features and formats to be available so it's easy to get things on and off the device in almost any format.

Also, check out some of the posts that jgray, kris777, rgeorg and i have made about the jetBook in general to get a better idea of the functions.

P.S - BIG problem is choosing the color lol i have a red one and got my dad a black one, but i like the black one more now
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post

downsides
- keeping it on for too long with the backlight DRAINS the battery super quick
- reading on it is a hassle as the print is way too small for the screen
- eyes get tired from costant use of the backlight
But you can adjust the size of font? I can't see how it have to be too small. Granted the screen is small and you have to change "page" often - personally I don't like to read anything smaller than about 11-12 pt size.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote