Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Looking for a s-f book I've read, but forgot title/author

I've read this science-fiction book a while ago and some days ago I remembered it, but not the title and author. I think I got it from the library …

[EDIT: The book I searched for is "Never Let me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.
Possible spoilers below.]

It's about an institute that seems to be an orphanage, but in reality it's a place where they raise clones of humans to be used as organ donors. The perspective is from a girl being raised there, as far as I remember, and she discovers some irregularities such as that the children go to a "special place" once they reach a certain age and never come back.
A recurring theme is her rocking a baby doll and listening to a certain song from a cassette. One of the overseers at the institute notices her doing that and weeps, because as it later becomes evident all of the clones are unable to have children.

Does someone know what book this is?

Last edited by IceHand; 09-20-2008 at 09:13 AM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It sounds a bit like 'Never Let me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro, except that I don't recall the doll episode.
At any rate, you may well like the Ishiguro novel.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Yes, that's the one! Thank you very much.

I don't know why, but I remember the doll episode very clearly. It somehow left a mark.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
My pleasure, IceHand.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i love ishiguro and this one is on my list to read so i will have to try to forget this thread (that'll teach me... ) but perhaps i'll avoid reading it at night, it sounds closer to "a view of pale hills" (which was so subtly chilling that i don't think i slept for a month after that) than to "remains of the day"...

that ishiguro... genius, but no quarter for the reader.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
On a similar theme, there's the movie "The Island" who's Wikipedia entry mentions Michael Marshall Smith's novel "Spares"
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Michael Marshall Smith's novel "Spares"
Michael Marshall Smith is a great writer - but I couldn't get through 'Spares', it was just too upsetting .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i love ishiguro and this one is on my list to read so i will have to try to forget this thread (that'll teach me... ) but perhaps i'll avoid reading it at night, it sounds closer to "a view of pale hills" (which was so subtly chilling that i don't think i slept for a month after that) than to "remains of the day"...

that ishiguro... genius, but no quarter for the reader.
I'm sorry, I didn't think of spoiling the book somewhat for other readers. I added a warning to the original post.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't think of spoiling the book somewhat for other readers. I added a warning to the original post.
no worries, it really is my own fault. under the circumstances you could hardly have done differently.

i'll probably have forgotten all those details by the time i read it.

thanks for adding the spoiler warning now that you've found the book though.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I have read spares also a good book about using clones for spare parts.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I have read spares also a good book about using clones for spare parts.
Yes, Spares = Good!, The Island = BAD! Horrid, horrid movie that should nev er have been made!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote