Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
constroy
constroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: PRS-505 Blue, nexus 7, Kindle PW2
I think my PRS 505 finally went kaput...HELP!

Hi all!

I put a couple new books onto my beloved 505 and after unhooking it from computer, it became "stuck" in the refresh mode. (Arrow thingy spinning around and sometimes not spinning just stuck, updating books in reader). It also turns itself off and on willy nilly. Needless to say that this has happened one time before and it eventually unstuck itself after numerous soft resets, an attempt to hard reset, shaking it, yelling at it and leaving it charging for over a day. I don't think it started back up from something I did it just kicked it's little brain back into gear. Well, none of those above mentioned things (plus a few new ones), has worked this second go around. I purchased my sony new back in July of 2009 and I'm an avid reader so my best guess is that I need to have a burial for it, brief mourning period and find a different reader. Any suggestions on how I may fix it? I really do enjoy this reader and would like to continue to use it.
Thanks ahead of time!
constroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I graduated from a 505 to a 950 and never looked back...and fairly recently found a backup 950 as well.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
mamid
mamid began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Keep trying to reset it. If/when you succeed, connect it to your computer and check the folders. You may find some files that are not needed for your reader to work; delete them. I had the same problem, several times, after not using the reader for long periods of time. It may have something to do with battery draining. Good luck!
mamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
constroy
constroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: PRS-505 Blue, nexus 7, Kindle PW2
Well I actually some how got my reader to reset yesterday. Unfortunately it was a hard reset so I lost everything on it. I do use calibre so I can always easily load books back onto it. (Maybe not so many this time!) I'll keep an eye on the battery mamid as you mentioned. That's a good possibility considering its age and how much I use it. I have also been eye balling the kobo auras (non HD). It may be a good backup for when my sony does go for good. Plus the backlight may be nice to have. I love sony products but support won't be there since they discontinued their readers.
constroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I find that usually when I have problem with even resetting, it is because I let the battery get too low; it's almost like the Sony has trouble charging from USB when it is too low on power. I think there's not enough power to charge the CPU long enough for it to complete the handshake or something.

Luckily, I have a Sony PSP charger and that works a treat because it can charge even if the system isn't up and running. I haven't seen that problem since.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'll probably keep buying mainly Sony, support or not. My experience has luckily been that I don't need support and they are relatively cheap compared to the $379 I paid for my first reader.

Still if someone makes what I consider a better reader, or even one as good, I will probably switch. So far Sony has been good to me
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote